Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I imagine it will be like BG2. Which is one of my favorite games of all time, even though I literally never played the first one and still haven’t really (I don’t think I’ve ever made it out of the starting zone transition). Low-level 2nd Edition suuuuuucks.

Also I’m behind on codes because I’m too lazy to Google up the cheat-sheet forum post.

Also, also I need that hat.

Which will then be replaced by the most generic, hideous thing ever because it’s a hat in Pillars and only the ugliest ones have the best stats.

I liked BG1 at release, but I tried to replay it and found it so boring. Maybe I’ll have to just skip it and replay BG2 instead. Not until I play PoE2 though!

Living list of all known codes - The Deadfire Scavenger Codes - WE FOUND THEM ALL - Cutthroat Cosmo! - Bonus Pets! - Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire General Discussion (NO SPOILERS) - Obsidian Forum Community

Where to go in order to sign up/sync with Steam/enter codes - How do I get the promotional Scavenger Hunt rewards? - Obsidian Entertainment Support

A link to this very post you can bookmark - Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire - #747 by Scotch_Lufkin

I’ll buy it on GOG. Does anyone know if those codes will work there?

Not currently, because GOG isn’t set up to work like Steam does with events like this. They are actively engaged with GOG to make something happen. It’s not like what the rewards are is a huge deal, so for now it’s a fun time killer but by launch I bet (unless they actually do get something worked out with GOG) it’s just free stuff everyone that pre-ordered ends up with.

Unrelated, but I came here to mention something I forgot to earlier - they did get a “skip ship battle” button in place that will let you bypass a ship to ship engagement/text based adventure and “fast travel” at the cost of potential damage to your ship and crew health right to the boarding fight, for those that aren’t keen on the ship combat.

I personally think the ship combat has a lot of potential but even if someone really likes it, it would get old fast because it’s super long (like a good 10 minutes of jockeying for position and opening fire). Satisfying when it works though, but I’m super glad for this option.

That could be good news. That part of the game is what I’m most leary about and typically I don’t like ship battles.

Make sure you try them at least once for the sound effects alone. It’s super awesome sounding. But I do like the idea that you could fire cannons and hit their ammo store, or how your crew can get better at manning different stations, making tight turns more possible, or gaining more ground when dashing forward. It’s a cool system in theory, but the beta just throws you right into it. Hopefully there is some tutorial/easing into it for the full version, because otherwise I will probably just spam this button myself.

I’ll give it a chance for sure - just happy to have an out.

I just learned something kind of neat, how Party Assist works. So your characters have skills, and if your other party members have those same skills you can get a small bonus to your own skill. How much of a bonus depends on how many points your other team members have. This much I knew before, but it wasn’t clear how it was being calculated. I’ve now learned how those numbers add up.

For instance,

Myster is the trap disarmer/chest unlocker in the party and has 8 points. Because of the 6, 1, and 1 other party members have it’s effectively a 10. Why?

Because of Party Assist! How to calculate? Add up the scores of the OTHER party members and apply a bonus based on that number.

So Myster has a 10 because the sum of the other party members Mechanics score is 8 which gives him a +2. So, if you ever aren’t sure where to point a point, consider boosting another party member by learning a new skill!

I suspect it will be pretty rare to have 22 points across an entire party to get +5 though. That’s someone that REALLY wants a super high score in a given skill. I suppose if you were going to make a Drug Empowered Monk and you gave ALL your characters Alchemy you could end up with an insane bonus to your drug usage though, for example, so I’m not going to be surprised with nutso combinations start to surface.

Thanks again for the info, Scott.

That video last night got me more stoked for the full game than I’ve been these last few weeks creating characters. Some of the gear shown was just awesome, and one of my pre-soulbound complaints about the original was the rather boring itemization and crafting. Deadfire looks to address that head-on. I want my cestus though. :)

LOL well that would be pretty cool for sure, fingers crossed, eh?

I just learned another bit of info that was new to me (though I had a feeling this was how it worked) - the stacking rules have been simplified. In Deadfire, active abilities (including Modal abilities from weapon proficiencies) do not stack with each other (if they modify the same thing) but all your passives will.

That’s why (waaay up above in this thread) two different passives that bump Stride work together, and why the passive boon from Nature Godlike to power levels and the bonus Power Level to Restoration spells while Shifted stack. A while back I thought they didn’t but they actually do, including Wizard sub-classes so that’s a little less of a shitty option than I thought (I’m still staying well clear of Wizard subclasses though, unless they change for launch).

Thanks, got em all to date. I have been wanting to do this but I was far too lazy to do any basic research.

That Party Assist is an amazing idea. So often I end up with a character that has a measly 1-3 in a skill while another member of the party builds it to a much higher level (lockpicking is classic). This results in one character doing all the work using that particular skill and the other characters having wasted points. Now, they may not be so wasted afterall. Awesome.

For those that are thinking about picking this up and haven’t played the first (I’m in that group), this seemed like a good overview of the first game. Obviously spoilers.

This is cool because late game in PoE1 it really felt like a lot of the skill choices at level up were wasted unless you were saving up for the next tier of athletics for the heal.

Josh Sawyer tweeted about Druid/Priest spells. The question was why are they all so slow, while the buff type spells and a few select Wizard spells are very fast. Josh thought they had changed it for the beta but would review them post launch. I loaded up the game and indeed, every spell seems to be 3 cast time, 4 recovery (with a few exceptions, but nothing crazy). I tweeted a reply that he liked so hopefully they can make a few tweaks for launch.

Taking a look at the Witch:

And single class Paladin (Kind Wayfarer healing testing, specifically):

If you enjoy the Witch video and want to see what more crazyness can be had with Power Levels and that build, I later made the same character but with a Nature Godlike to hit +2 Power Level. Here are the various stages of Soul Ignition - base, no buffs (resting) numbers, then max focus (Ascended) while having Fury up to trigger the Nature Godlike bonus of +2 power level, and finally just like the second one, but below half health to trigger the Blooded Barbarian passive of +25% damage, which seems to work with spells he or she may cast as well!

Summary

Wow, that’s a big jump in power there for Soul Ignition.

And for anyone who watches the Witch video, be sure to note the character’s name. :D