Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Maybe Bal has a nice ring of deflection +9?

Single Class Monks are freaking incredible.

Then again, Wizards ain’t nothing to sneeze at, neither.

15th level. Really should’ve turned on scaling.

That was my thinking, but apparently that’s broken too now so it likely wouldn’t have made much of a difference. Liking the game a lot but even on PoTD it’s a cakewalk after you get going.

I hear it’s more Path of the Darned.

Yeah game is really easy after level 8 or 9 even on POTD. Before then there were some hair raisers involving street ambushes and an early dive into the city ruins to pick up Modwyr. Well, there was one hard fight with some druids on the Sakuya (around level 11ish?).

But amusing nonetheless.

Something that gives me great joy is boarding ships and watching all my companions (in ship boarding, you have your party of 5 + every other unused companion [including customs adventurers] under AI control, so make sure you level them) brutalize everyone in showers of spells and crit explosions. The music certainly helps too.

Also, I think someone complained about unique items not being unique in this game? Not sure where that’s coming from, because there are boatloads of uniques, many with cool effects that you can build around or combo with other uniques. Though admittedly not many of them are tied to cool fights, many still are gated to specific encounters that require some skill checks.

Hm after all that I am reading here I will go and finish POE 1 hopefully and return when this is all patched up.

That was @John_Reynolds and yeah, they have really knocked that out of the park in the sequel. Some of the most crazy/amazing weapons and equipment I’ve ever seen in an RPG grace the Deadfire. My only complaint is I wish there were more Soulbound items - I’ve only found four, and they were all weapons. I’d hoped with the pre-order Soulbound items that unlocked in PoE1 (which were super amazing/interesting) that included non-weapons, we’d get some of that here, but maybe they are saving that for DLC or future updates.

Yes that fight was relatively difficult for my group too but no one went down. Last night I restarted on POTD and made it through the first island. This time I actually used explosives and was more careful but still Xoti did get knocked out once, and Eder got to show off his second chance. I’d be pleased if that difficulty could keep up, maybe it will after the patch? Anyway as I play more I come to appreciate aspects of the UI and engine, though as often I wish there wasn’t so much trash loot.

probably imbalanced implementation, but that trash loot is my main source of income.

true, but selling it all is a nuisance, why not just give gold, especially since reputation only matters for buy price and for sales?

Because Xaruips don’t carry large sums of cash, they have spears and shields.

I mean, it’s a versimilitude thing for the most part, but early on sometimes you get gear from random dudes as loot sometimes as well.

List of unique and soulbound item counts in the game. Wish I had this before rolling my warhammer devoted. At least I am not completely screwed.

Unique & Soulbound items

ONE HANDED WEAPONS

DAGGER: 2 Unique, 1 Soulbound
HATCHET: 4 Unique
RAPIER: 2 Unique
SABRE: 8 Unique
STILETTO: 2 Unique
CLUB: 1 Unique
FLAIL: 5 Unique
MACE: 1 Unique, 1 Soulbound
WARHAMMER: 2 Unique
SPEAR: 3 Unique
SWORD: 9 Unique, 1 Soulbound
BATTLE AXE: 2 Unique

TWO HANDED WEAPONS

ESTOC: 3 Unique
PIKE: 2 Unique
GREAT SWORD: 6 Unique
POLLAXE: 1 Unique, 1 Soulbound
QUARTERSTAFF: 3 Unique
MORNING STAR: 3 Unique

RANGED WEAPONS

WAR BOW: 3 Unique
HUNTING BOW: 1 Unique
CROSSBOW: 1 Unique
ARBALEST: 1 Unique
ARQUEBUS: 3 Unique, 1 Soulbound
BLUNDERBUSS: 4 Unique
PISTOL: 3 Unique
ROD: 3 Unique
SCEPTER: 3 Unique
WAND: 1 Unique

ARMOR

ROBE: 3 Unique
PADDED ARMOR: 3 Unique
HIDE ARMOR: 2 Unique
LEATHER ARMOR: 4 Unique
SCALE ARMOR: 3 Unique
BREASTPLATE: 4 Unique (technically 6, but 3 of them appear to be story based, ie you can only get one of them)
MAIL ARMOR: 4 Unique
BRIGANDINE: 2 Unique
PLATE ARMOR: 3 Unique

SHIELDS

SMALL SHIELD: 4 Unique
MEDIUM SHIELD: 3 Unique
LARGE SHIELD: 4 Unique

GEAR

HELM: 20 Unique
NECK: 18 Unique
CLOAK: 14 Unique
GLOVE: 3 Unique
BELT: 8 Unique
RING: 5 Unique
BOOT: 4 Unique

I just picked up another companion, Ydwin…

I didn’t know there was another one. Sweet.

I think I shall multi-class here, Rogue + Cipher could be interesting.

She is one of the 4 (or 5?) Sidekicks, by the way. So a unique 3D model, and a unique voice set and some dialog lines, but she’s not as reactive/interactive as a regular companion and has no quest associated with her (FYI).

She’s also not great imho. I benched her, brought Xoti back.

Edit:

I’m getting to the point where everything seems a bit…easy.

I turned on level scaling for critical path only, but I’ve just breezed through 4 bounties taking barely a scratch, except for Maia because of bad positioning, so she got knocked out.

Just did the Arkemyr mansion and arrived at the follow-up quest. I enjoyed the reference to Concelhaut and hope the mercs put up a good fight at the observatory.

There was some optional content that gave me a bit of trouble in the high-teens (even at level 19, fucking redacted enemies) but that was all optional.

I just wrapped the game up (47 hours on my save game file, 52 hours played on Steam so that’s probably closer, given re-loading and such) and ended up with 70 points to spend, but I think it would be wisest to let the game develop a bit with post-release patches and move onto something else, like finally playing Battletech. I’ve put almost 2 full months into the game between the beta and my pre-release coverage and then just devouring the game itself, and it will only get better with age, so that’s good for me for now. 130+ hours I put into this already. Yikes.

BTW - I just adored the ending I got, and I’m wondering how it would have changed if I’d picked some different stuff there. Plus I have 3 companions I barely touched, and the side kicks and my own hirelings as well (I really want to re-create at least some of the Vox Machnica/Critical Role characters for a future play through).

I keep missing or resisting positive buffs on my crew. What’s up with that?

What spell resistance gear are you packing?
e.g. Xoti’s Lantern upgrade’s AOE resist seems to affect friendlies.

Ohhh whats this I need to go and beat it.