Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Notes

Lots of nerfs, across the board reductions to recovery speed bonuses and elemental lashes (aka bonus damage).

Also item nerfs =(
I still don’t see how people can think there’s no interesting items in this game. There’s so many uniques you can specifically build around with different class combinations.

I haven’t finished the video but probably a good thing, honestly. So many super over powered things and items in the mid- and late-game really stripped down what made the combat fun/challenging.

Also, this is delightful, they have created categories in the AI behavior editor!

Oh, so good! They added a third AI type to the action bar, Auto Attack Only, so if you decide to turn off the AI to stop it from doing something but want it to not be totally brain-dead, you can hit this:

Also, very handy:

I had stopped playing just before picking faction and starting the endgame, and then picked it back up after today’s patch. I did hit max level but haven’t made it to the end quest because the game now crashes when I leave my current location and I haven’t felt like backtracking to a save yet.
I went to faction the queen and tentatively agreed to join them, but they didn’t want my companion Pellagrina so I said “no thanks” and went to the RDC. They wanted me to kill the queen and I said “no thanks” and they attacked me. Killed them w/o any problem but the game crashes (“failed to load map”) when I try to leave from either level of the HQ.

Look at the size of that Eothas bust in the video on Josh’s desk!

I’m one of those that keep the AI off for 2-3 characters in my party (mainly because I don’t want to spend the time trying to tune the AI), so this Auto Attack Only setting is huge and at least won’t have me worrying that I forgot to give an order to someone and they are just standing there while their friends die around them.

Today’s Backer Update 49 had a blurb about the physical goods:

For those who backed Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire at a physical tier, we have good news! The fulfillment houses are getting everything in and packaging it all up now. We have a batch of them (as you can see in the video above) and we’re very happy with how they turned out. Within the next few weeks orders will be going out. When your items are shipped to you, you’ll receive an e-mail from the fulfillment house with a tracking number letting you know it’s on the way. We apologize again for the delay in these items and we hope that you enjoy them once they arrive.

I saw that too. Better late than never.

Haven’t tried my Witch or Holy Slayer with 1.01 installed, though I obviously know the impact their damage output is going to take. Heck, even my Votary, who finished the game a few nights ago, will take a small hit with Flames of Devotion being scaled down a bit. I’m curious on the item nerfing, if they hit legendaries or soulbound stuff the hardest.

Went back to a non corrupted save and finished my first playthrough.
The team was max level so even with the patch PotD wasn’t too hard, though I did have to replay 1 fight.
At the point where you have to choose factions I was pretty upset with what all of them wanted me to do, though I was pretty happy with how things ended up.

I sided with the Huana though I wasn’t so happy about first blowing up the powder and then lying about it. How do you get to the Ukaizo w/o siding with anyone, and what happens at the end if you do that?

What you asked in spoiler, which I can’t quote for some reason, I did do and can answer. I also didn’t like my other options.

I had a fully maxed out ship, and sailed on my own up North. The ship took a ton of damage, but nothing worse than a few of the tougher sea battles gave me, and we landed on the shore, where I made my way through to the island defender/dragon thing, and as we got closer to the end one of the factions (I forget which, tbh) had sailed behind us and we ended up in a pitched battle with them along a bridge, iirc. I guess they were pretty butt hurt about being left out, and I was worried I’d be eventually facing every faction at some point, but nothing like that happened, I ended up wrapping up the game and I was actually pretty pleased with how the ending turned out, over all.

Thanks, maybe I’ll try that next time through.

This post is about the unique items . I cycled through all of the companions and I think I ended up partially upgrading too many of them. What do people think are the best items to upgrade? Next time I think I will again use Eodr and Xioti, and fully upgrade his unique armor and her sickle. My main had finished with the rod of the deep Hunter and Veil piercer both of which I quite like but neither were fully upgraded. I had him in fully upgraded miscreants leather, 20% recovery penalty.eodr had a fully upgraded Sabre, grave calling, and an ordinary mace, and two upgraded Shields.( by the way, can you put the same Shield into multiple equipment slots I couldn’t figure out how to do that.) I only found two unique one handed blunt weapons, last word and Grave calling, both seem pretty good but neither got fully upgraded. And I had a number of unique hatchets I never used, as well as excess unique quarterstaffs, swords and ranged weapons.

The upgrade system is interesting but there’s something about the fact that you can upgrade those items anywhere + the fact that they cost money that feels overly gamey.

Would’ve preferred a vendor / ship workbench approach instead, although I can see that being a bit of a hassle for players.

Yeah, that would just be annoying. I think it’s fine the way it is. Sometimes “fun” has to win out over “realistic” in games.

They changed Beckoners from being able to summon at -1 phrase to summon at +1 phrase - now I hope that’s just when starting a battle, but if not then it seems that they just made beckoners worse at summoning than even Troubadours. I have to investigate over the weekend.

I agree. I was very pleased that there was no inventory limit in the game. If I want to carry 20 swords and 50 cannons in my backpack, so be it.

Holy shit they nerfed everything. While they also made Veteran and PotD harder. I’m sure that will work out real well.

Guess I’ll wait for the next patch.

Looking through the list, I didn’t see anything that got nerfed that shouldn’t have been nerfed. I mean, some of that stuff was silly.

Literally every class is like this -

How is Swift Strikes action speed of 20% silly?

They just nerfed everything 25-50%.

just to see what happens remade my first character and jumped into the intro on PotD again, and I’m finding the cave much harder than before, I may need to go to town and pick up Xioti before I can complete it. And I’ve read that the digsite is giving people a lot more trouble now.

The Soul Annihilation skill being halved is the biggest I’ve noticed so far.

Interesting bug last night after 1.1, created a new toon, hit the beach, leveled him up to 4, and at that point the game changed his named to Eder, changed his picture to that of Eder, and changed his stats to that of Eder (but he kept his class, a chanter).