Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Monks were hella broken. Swift Strikes was so good there was no monk out there that would not take it, which is a bad design. It’s still very good - it’s effectively the same as having the two-weapon fighting skill, without having to take it. And if you do have it? 30% stacking bonus to attack speed, even with these numbers. It used to be 40%! That’s crazyness. Inner Death is still broken it looks like to me. That ability is crazy, even at 300% damage bonus.

Scott, you’re being pedantic. That was only one example. Are going to insist that every class was broken? Because every class was similarly nerfed.

There were so few active abilities in each class, there were many cases where every class would take an ability – especially Barbarians. And you’re right – it is bad design. Talents that increase Resolve by +5 or +10 or whatever are boring and shouldn’t be in the game.

I was replying to your specific example. Even re-reading your post it looked like you were singling that one out. Looking through the patch notes for the classes I was familiar with, I didn’t see anything I didn’t stop and think, “yeah, that was a bit broken.”

Don’t forget, when class skills get nerfed, it goes both ways - enemies use those same abilities against you, too.

And when I say every Monk takes Swift Strikes, I’m mostly talking about multi-classing, don’t forget. There are a lot of really tough choices in multi-classing right now, but not enough. I feel like now there might be a lot of harder choices with this patch, which is a good thing.

Because of stacking. I had a rogue/monk that was basically like 80%+ attack speed all the time everywhere and could go higher in many situations.

A lot of stuff was like that. Inner Death is still silly OP since you can force a crit with another point in the same tier and one shot most things.

I wonder if my Holy Slayer can come out of stealth and still one-shot? Doubtful, not with that rogue skill being nerfed from 150 down to 100%.

There were some sweeping nerfs for sure. No way anyone can say otherwise. BUT I am going to (god help me) TRUST the balancing process and get back in tomorrow on a crusader. No way around one thing the game was too easy out of the box.

Plus it wasn’t normal swift strikes on the monk that was silly it was the enhanced version one step down. It needed nerfing.

You guys are going to make me quote all the class nerfs, aren’t you?

I get nerfing stuff sucks, but it was very necessary here. I mean, paste the notes if it makes you feel better, but I’ve seen them. I didn’t see anything that didn’t make sense to me.

I mean, the game was faceroll easy on PotD, so nerfing things doesn’t surprise me. It had to happen.

actually I didnt need Xioti, just needed to hit level 2 before tackling the harder packs :)

I think some of the reactions against the nerfing is that the bat was swung so hard and broadly that it’s obvious a lot of this should’ve been caught prior to launch. The game will ultimately be better for the balancing efforts but it is a bit shocking, especially if you have a build predicated on some of the abilities being halved.

I honestly think a lot of it was. But from what I heard the team was too over-worked trying to clean the crash errors, script problems, and other bugs so they could put out a smooth experience, is what happened. I maintain they made the right call, especially since I am actually really impressed with how few issues/bugs I heard about (let alone experienced). Others mileage may vary, of course, I know a few folks here had some nasty little issues, even with the developers trying their best.

Apparently not. I mean, if you have to cut Soul Annihilation in half you didn’t test it very well.

That said, I also prefer the choice they made in terms of launching a more stable, error-free game (though I’ve had about 20 CTDs in my hours with it, more than any other game in recent memory).

Edit: I’ve had 4 CTDs since writing this post.

Is that a common thing many people are getting with the new patch? I haven’t had a chance to try the new patch yet, but I was on the forum yesterday and I didn’t see it being an issue yet. Have you tried verifying your game files? Any custom modifications/mods installed?

No mods, just the 1.01 patch, which has seen a pretty big uptick in the crashes. I’ll probably verify later, gotta take the fam and mom out for pizza here in a bit.

Finished the game! Excellent game!

The new difficultly is actually perfect balance on Veteran for me! I had a few people I had to resurrect during battles, the battles were close, but no save/reload scrumming! I almost want to play again

Interesting, a 316mb file failed to validate and was d/l. We’ll see if I experience fewer crashes (fingers crossed).

I hit 100 hours with the game though earlier today.

The patch 1.1 created a new crash on exit from the main menu for me, but only after gameplay and 100% of the time after gameplay, which didn’t happen before the patch. I validated files and it fixed two, but that didn’t solve the issue.

At 70 hours in, I’ve ticked along the main quest as I was running out of things to do. But, I think playing this way messes with the next set of things to do (get support). I’ll see if I can manage it the way I want, chances are good, but I’ve at least one group I have no intention of allying with thinking I’m totally on their side. Um, no, sorry, and happy to see I had the option to decline their suggested retaliatory strike.

I like the ability to be very overpowered in games if I choose to be, and would much rather have difficulty handled via a choice. Sometimes I just like to roll through games and enjoy the scenery, and don’t really get much joy out of every mob being turned into a damage sponge.

/shrug. Obviously balance issues here, I’m just saying for me the way to solve this is to tinker with the difficulty level settings. There are a lot of games where “easy” isn’t godlike enough :P This is all part of a whole for me though, I hate mobs and areas that scale for the same reason, I want to be able to go back to places when I’m more powerful and obliterate them, it’s part of the fun.

This! Seriously this! I’ve never been able to articulate that, but I do love going from the start of the game struggling with lowly wolves to transitioning at the end of the game charging through mobs spraying bloody giblets everywhere! I’ve never been able to articulate that quite so well. I love the challenge of figuring out the game, and at the end if Ive done it well, I want the boss to cower before me lol