Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Well, I didn’t remember there was already a thread for it if I knew of it, and thus didn’t know what was or wasn’t known about the game yet and thought this video was a decent overview.

I picked this up on Steam sale, because while I kind of liked the first one, the idea of turn-based combat really appealed to me and promised even more of a good thing. Sadly, I’m refunding it. For whatever reason–and I should have looked at the discussions first–this thing looks like crap on my video card, and apparently on any NVIDIA card. 2070 Super and the screen flickers, has scan lines, and looks like something from ten or twelve years ago. Ugh. While not technically unplayable, it is very unpleasant, and thus, refunding.

Whoa, what? I’ve only ever played this on NVIDIA cards and even just earlier this year I did and it always looks amazing to me (no technical issues anything at all like what you are describing). Maybe re-install (clean install) the video drivers? Or verify the files?

Have you tried playing in exclusive fullscreen (and if you are in that already, have you tried a windowed mode)?

I fiddled with it a bit but really, at this point, it has to be a game that either I really want to play or something I can’t refund. If it doesn’t work right with a minimum of normal tweaking, back it goes. Don’t have time to futz with stuff like this for something that I’m not likely to get super in to anyhow.

Yeah, you shouldn’t have had to do any futzing, that is very strange. Your other games are working okay?

Oh yeah, absolutely. No issues at all. I read a bunch of forum posts (after I refunded, doh) and as late as this summer people were still having the same issues. When the game launched, the devs put up a sticky post talking about issues with NVIDIA cards, and apparently some of those issues still exist for some people.

Same as Scott, never seen any video/graphical issues on NV cards since it was released. I’m assuming your drivers aren’t that out of date.

This is probably my favorite game in recent years. I know this is an outlier of an opinion, but this game is far superior to something like OS2, which for me was completely flat. So IMO it’s well worth a little effort to resolve these issues.

Drivers are the latest. No clue why it did what it did. Maybe running at 144Hz? I run 1080p at 144, so it’s pretty standard.

I run at 144 as well, no issues at all. Not sure what was going on, but honestly I don’t know if I’d blame PoE2. Like you said, if you weren’t up to figure out this little mystery, probably best you just refunded.

I picked this up along with the White March expansions for PoE which I started playing. It’s been a while since I last played but I was able to just fire up an old save and immediately start the expansion. I ended up re-specing my entire party except for the Wizard (because you lose all his learned spells damn) just to re-learn the class abilities available. The ‘copy-cat’ D&D systems aren’t immediately recognizable and there’s huge differences mostly involving the core stats. (Like how Might governs damage for everything, even spells, while Intelligence increases AOE, even for a Barbarian’s “whirlwind”)

Talk about a breath of fresh air after DOS2 though. Combat encounters are super quick and inventory management is a breeze. No more endless scrolling through character inventories full of junk. Send all the junk straight to your stash.

Oh, I am certain it’s some sort of bizarre incompatibility that I could, with effort, track down. And I may well do it in the future, when it’s on sale again! The game seemed to be a nice evolution of the first one.

just a FYI…playing a steam game for the 2 hour window for a refund, is an accumlulative act time wise…this includes playing games on free weekends…there is no ‘reset’ time wise as far as steam is concerned

lets be careful out there

https://i.imgur.com/5K7wWmT.png

Yep, the Archipelago is a dangerous place! You never know what you might find around the next island…

Heh, if I bought it again I’d get it at a price that I would just keep it even if it was inoperable.

Have you tried running it directly from the .exe (sans steam) with admin?

Well, I no longer have it, but that’s a good idea.

If you still had it, I would also switch to Windows 8 or WIndows 7 compatibility mode.

Picked up Obsidian collection for just under 20 bucks a couple days ago. Was going to start Andromeda today, but since EA Play was delayed, gonna give this a go

I really rather enjoyed PoE 1, but never got around to 2 for some reason. On something of a whim I just got the something-or-other edition and it’s installing now.

What kind of character should I play? You have ~14 minutes while it downloads. ;)

If turn based some form of caster such as ancient druid or blood mage. If real time maybe a paladin/devoted dual blunderbuss. Paladin can get resistance to the blinding smoke and can do good damage + heal with flames of devotion. Devoted get good pen.