Pillars of Eternity 2 switches genres for its latest update

I will reply to myself - yes --I spent 8 hours playing Pillars 2 turn based. And I will say it is a different game. You get to see what is actually going on. You get to appreciate your abilities.

It is very slow. But I think well done.

I spent 14 hours Pillars turn based. It is pretty fun. But it isn’t easy to figure out specs that are “good” or not from the real time with pause. Or as opposed to the rtwp. I have been playing a hunter with a rifle (“arquebus” of whatevs) and he DESTROYS stuff.

AC that was a “he” --my Hunter (a warrior/ranger concoction is a Male - I named him after you)

It isn’t Temple of Elemental Evil good – because those battles were largely set pieces. But it is almost that good.

Much slower. Get a huge group with a bunch of abilities/spells. More fun that way.

(I am beginning to think I am talking to air here, however.)

I’m eyeballs deep in Divinity Original Sin 2 right now. Otherwise I’d probably be playing this.

I think it’s still in beta, so enjoy (the outstanding) D:OS 2 and come back when the beta goes to 1.0 (which I assume will coincide with the console release).

Oh its in beta for sure as you well know. Dexterity is so marginalized I can’t help but think they’ll do something about that. real time vs. turn based is almost --uh – dusk vs dawn? (as opposed to night and day)

Yeah, I was tempted to go back to the game for turn-based play but seeing it listed as beta is a clear “you can wait” sign to me.

D:OS 1 also suffered from the “not enough set pieces, too many trash mobs around every corner” issue. I don’t think level design was any better than OG Divine Divinity, which was a Diablo clone.

@KristiGaines you named your character after me? So “Cockney sparrow” in other words? Well I feel honoured. I’m tempted to try this but I will wait until it is out of Beta. Divinity Original Sin 2 is one of my favourite turn based RPGs so I would definitely recommend that if you haven’t tried it already.

• Alex

Turn-based is a real thing. It is super good. But it is super slow, move combat animations up if you play it. It is a different game. And I think a better game TB.

So I will just edit my post. I played a lot of Pillars Deadfire: Turnbased and I regret it wasn’t an option to start. For two reasons.

One, I think it would have grabbed a lotta people that may have liked that choice.

Two, I think it is almost completely different game – much slower, you accent different things (for example armor is more important – and attack speed min/maxing isn’t really a thing)

A last comment. Pillars (real time with pause) can be literally played 90 percent (except for big bosses) on auto. Turn-based requires you to go steady one shot at a time. I am beginning to suspect that turn based mode makes the game better and they shoulda started with this.

Three, I think If I was going turn based in Pillars I would start a fresh party – no npc’s – and try to min max a bit. I am thinking of my party now and I may share.

Real time with pause pillars just seems like a nice challenge early on but … watching combat over and over isn’t so fun. Turn based is a bit easy now (even on “hard”) but it is interesting.

Finally that is three reasons.