Pillars of Eternity

It’s a good point. Difficulty adjustment is an underrated aspect of customizing the gaming experience, provided it doesn’t otherwise break the intended gameplay. It’s one of the features I research before buying a game; if difficulty isn’t customizable, it’s a negative hit on whether I pick it up. The PoE method of scaling, but giving the player the option to choose scalability for the expansions, is just another great example, and is one of the notches on why PoE is one of my favorite games of all time.

Every time someone posts, I’m reminded I still need to go back to this, shit. Despite kickstarting both.

Anyway, on that point, I think it’s partially because of the circumstances of being DLC content that fits in the middle of the story and could lead to exactly that confusion for anyone not reading dev diaries. But, yes, it’s a thing that is nice to have, even if you don’t want to, as the saying goes, do the designer’s job for them.

I think I liked White March 1 & 2 more than the base game. I love small towns that change overtime. I played both upscaling the difficulty each time and it seemed just about right on Normal difficulty. (Max level party when I started as I loaded my save before entering the final dungeon)

Only complaints is the way you unlock the Monk NPCs side quest is kind of bad / easy to miss, because it is totally worth doing. And there are a few quests you should actually avoid doing until you hit max level after White March 2 (but they are introduced in White March 1)

Started playing this on the Switch when I saw that they changed course and patched up some issues that they previously said that they wouldn’t.

I’m lukewarm on it so far but it’s early so not surprising. I do have a question, does gear get interesting? The early weapons seem to be basically the same things. The story companions start with unique gear that is better than anything that has dropped yet.

It does yeah. The sequel is better in this (and most) regard but like most rpgs you have to get past the early game to get more than low level drek.

I don’t really recall the gear but if you are playing Pillars for the phat loot you might be playing the wrong game.

The biggest problem with both Pillars is the load times. Also Pillars II is like 90% side-quests, 10% main quest. It is also too easy on normal difficulty but I think the difficulty options they added might make some areas stupid hard.

Itemization definitely gets more interesting later on into the game. The White March introduced Soulbound items (weapons, armour, etc) which further addressed some complaints people had about the loot in the base game.

It’s a bit of a slow burn at the beginning but eventually you will find items you can develop whole character builds around.

And just like it does in pretty much every RPG with similar tier of loot, it made all the other loot for the same slot obsolete.

For good RPG itemization we have to go all the way back to Baldur’s Gate 2.

I adore the gear in Divine Divinity 2: Original Sin. I almost just played that again.

You consistently find gear that lets you try different builds and strategy, not just 10% damage increases.

I agree that this isn’t Diablo or whatever, just curious where it goes.

DOS2 made me hate item level scaling though. Replace all your equipment every two levels.

That cool unique sword you found? It will soon be replaced with vendor trash after you out level it.

Alright, who had Obsidian releasing a public beta for a new patch on their New Year’s Bingo card? Because they’ve only gone and done just that. I certainly wasn’t expecting a surprise new update nine years after the game’s launch.

That’s crazy. Someone doing some side work on Pillars? That’s the definition of a labour of love.

Maybe they ate polishing it up in anticipation of a boost from their upcoming game in the same universe.

With the coming of Avowed, I think I probably should jump into Pillars of Eternity. If I remember correctly, I avoided it mainly because of all the Baldur’s Gate comparisons, and I really didn’t care much for that game at all. But I am a big fan of pretty much every Obsidian game I’ve played so I’m hopeful this will at least be an interesting diversion.

This is on game pass on xbox now as well, right? I remember it joining fairly recently.

Yes, Pillars and its sequel Deadfire are on Game Pass.

I put 100s of hours into both games. They filled a genre that had been pretty much ignore for far too long. I remember the KS campaign for the first one, jumped on that bandwagon for the CE right away. Both are good games, and though I prefer the setting of the first there are some nice design/mechnical changes in the 2nd.

Ditto here, PoE is still one of my all-time faves. I even did the KS for the board game I loved it that much.

I haven’t touched it in a while so I don’t know how it holds up these days for graphics and general UI and QoL stuff. But if you aren’t usually bothered by those as they age then you’re in for a treat.

I play a few dozen hours of POE1 last fall. Its aged just fine in terms of UI and graphics - no frustrations there.

But I found the gameplay unnecessarily drawn out/padded, and the story pretty weak. Maybe this game just isn’t for me anymore. Or maybe its the fantasy - perhaps I’d trudge through a post-apoc one if offered - but my reaction to Wasteland 2 suggests otherwise.

In an extremely odd choice, they buried the most interesting bit of story/world-building in the last 25 minutes of the game. Like, heading into what was my last session of the first game I had no intention of moving on to the sequel. And then they managed to make the setting way more interesting, to the point that I happily picked up the next game the next time it was on sale.

I like Pillars a lot, especially the expansions that takes place in and around the same town. I think they are the best part of the game.

The sequel Deadfire is even better. While its main quest is comically short, it gives Baldur’s Gate 2 Act 2 a run for its money in terms of side-quests. (The game is like 90% side-quests)