Pinball FX 2

Getting back into this game sent me down the path of looking into building a virtual pinball cabinet. I really want to do it but it looks like at a minimum it would run $700-$1000. A little rich for my blood right now. On top of that I’m not the most handy person so building it might prove to be a challenge.

For now I guess I just rotate the monitor and call that good enough.

You can also trade Gold for Points too in a relatively balanced fashion.

Yeah, you have to press and HOLD the launch button if you see it starting to drain. That will expend some of the charges you’ve acquired, but it will pull the ball back up to a flipper lane in doing so.

I don’t think I’m gonna be able to touch your Wolverine score Rob…its too much!!! I…uh…did OK on X-Men this afternoon though…

I’m pushing through it but I completely empathise.

What are the more straight forward and clear tables to play? I like it when I can tell what I need to do just from the table display. I don’t like trying to memorize the table rules from the in game help. Any recommendations along that front? Thanks

As a general rule - the older tables seem to be the most straight forward imo. e.g. Pasha & Rome. I never liked Biolab that much :-/

Agree though, some of these later tables have way too much gameplay hidden behind 3 x 5 ramp lock sequences or forced mini games that are either too easy or just obnoxious. ( I’m looking at you Force Holicrons!)

The Marvel games seem to make more intuitive sense than the Star Wars games. i.e. Each hero represents a particular ramp/challenge as opposed to the Star Wars ones which seem to use set pieces or iconic objects from the movies. Not that this has affected your SW table scores in any way…they are mostly terrifying.

Having played a little more Doom, that is all good fun. It keeps the pace up and doesn’t try to hinder you with RPG menu gameplay.

I’ll probably splash out on the Aliens ones tomorrow to see how the voice actor handles Hudsons “Game Over man. Game Over!” cos there’s no way in hell they didn’t use that line.

Side note : Moon Knight and Avengers Ultron scores have now been…uh…updated.

You’ve got a lot of impressive scores there Kaylin. I’ve put in probably 3x the number of hours that you have. That’s why I always say I’m not that great at the game but I can be damn persistent in obsessively trying to beat a score :-)

I idle games a lot so I don’t know how many actual hours I have playing the game by my guess is that it is at least 130+ based on the reported Steam time.

I’ve been playing paranormal lately and find that it is pretty straight forward and yeah as Kaylin said the earlier games are pretty simple too. I highly recommend Pasha as it is probably one of my favorites.

I also find Portal to be relatively understandable. One of my favorites.

I also prefer the Star Wars tables to the Marvel ones by a large distance, but calling them simple would be a blatant lie.

Now that Kaylin pointed out how the magna save worked I played Han Solo again and added 10 million to my score - still a ton short of Kaylin’s. I wonder if I’m missing some large scoring action the table has because I felt like I played a long time, but my score didn’t go up by as much as it seemed it should have based on that time. I even had gotten a 3 (or maybe more) multiball and got the super jackpot during it.

Steam has individual tables on sale, and bundles of tables. For those of us who have only a passing familiarity with the game (and a wish to jump in and try to compete for some scores), which would be good tables to get?

I like…
Portal
The Walking Dead
Plants vs Zombies
Earth Defense
Mars
Shaman
Most of the Marvel Ones - but maybe not Ghost Rider, Moon Knight
Some of the Stars Wars Pinball Tables

There are others I haven’t played very much though

Great, you guys have me playing this again now. Don’t know how many high scores I’ll be taking on but it’s still a fantastic game to jump into for 30 minutes or so at a time to take a few shots at a table!

SadleyBradley, I’d also recommend most of the same tables that Rob listed, particularly the Star Wars packs. I really enjoy most of them.

We have probably discussed this before but do people use the nudge controls much? I only use it to jump my ball from 1 flipper to the other on occasion and that isn’t very often. Am I missing out by not using it more?

I rarely use it. Pretty much only to save the ball from draining and even then it is rare.

mwuhahahahahaha the Portal table is mine again.

Good thing I like that table and will be happy to try and get it back :-)

Good thing I like that table on it’s own because I will enjoy the time I spend failing to recapture it.

So we’re doing Portal yeah? £0.67 on the Steam Sale - yeah, fine. See you on the boards chaps.

Alright. I picked up the following:
Guardians of the Galaxy
Plants vs Zombies
Portal
Darth Vader/Return of the Jedi/X-Wing vs TIE Fighter
Venom
Avengers Chronicles

I’m Sadley on Steam if anyone needs another name to compete with, not that you’ll see me anywhere near a high score.

Oh don’t worry. I’ve held first place on a single table for just over 24 hours. I’m no threat to you ;)

Also: join the Qt3 pinball group. I notice you are not in there. Join up and send friend requests!

There is a nudge technique when the ball goes down an outerlane drain where by raising a flipper and nudging, it is possible for the ball to bounce onto the opposite resting flipper and bring it back into play. Called a Bang Back or Death Save. I do that move when I can because it isn’t possible to damage a virtual pinball table, and it is a move that feels good to pull off.

I don’t know what the consensus here is on Qt3 about that sort of maneuver.

I do use nudging mostly to switch from one flipper to the next, or to simply try and bump the ball away from draining down the side of the table if I remember, and have practiced the table enough to know the general behaviour of the ball.