Pinball FX3 is on the verge of its 100th table

Title Pinball FX3 is on the verge of its 100th table
Author Tom Chick
Posted in News
When October 19, 2020

What table is going to tip Pinball FX3 over the 100-table threshold?

Read the full article

Oh, I didn’t even notice the horrible soccer pinball table was gone. But what are the other two you mention? I don’t remember them. I only recall there used to be a Plants Vs Zombie one a loooong time ago.

I went into the Switch version since I can’t play on computer, but my heart’s been broken by the exclusive leaderboards there.

You don’t remember the skateboarding one? Wait, maybe it’s still in there. I should have checked. And am I wrong about there being a ninja table at some point? I could have sworn there was a crappy ninja table.

Oh no, Plants vs Zombies is gone? Damn you, Electronic Arts!!!

-Tom

I could find the ninja one thanks to my allwatching googly friend. Ones, even: there were apparently a whole pack of tables licensed to Ninja Gaiden. Didn’t recall them whatsoever!

Maybe it will be back? I remember the game, as well as Peggle, going on and off Steam and the iTunes store regularly. I guess EA’s lawyers keep a very close eye on all this.

I would much rather see Doctor Who, which is basically Pin-Bot in reverse with more things to do.

In Pin-Bot you hit the 5 standup targets a bunch of times to open the ball locks, lock 2 balls for multiball, and hit the ball locks + ramp for jackpot. In Doctor Who you start by locking both balls, hit the standups a bunch of times to light multiball, and then fire away at the three scoops (where the ball locks were) for jackpots. You can also play for Sonic Booms by looping the side ramp 10 times, W-H-O loops via the lower ramp + side chute + side ramp sequence (which also scores the Sonic Boom jackpots), or video mode. You also get additional layers of depth by collecting the Doctors, Who each give you some kind of scoring bonus. (Increasing playfield multiplayer, making video mode easier to get to, adding more time for W-H-O loops, etc.)

There’s also the Jack-Bot kind-of-sort-of-remake of Pin-Bot, but Doctor Who is better. I’ll grant that Bride of Pin-Bot would make for the best Pinball FX3 cutscene sequences. It is otherwise what’s known as a One Shot Game.

P.S. (There is a real Rick & Morty pinball table now, but I doubt Pinball FX3 will be getting that license anytime soon.)

Are they doing VR for their tables?

It’s been out, but on the FX2 engine.

Am I the only one playing the Aliens (The movie) pinball table and having great fun??

I liked it! But I haven’t played pinball in a long time.

okay then, I take my pinball and go home…

before I go home, I have to say I have a lot of F-U-N with the Aliens table… Every squad member has it’s own ramp, Hicks, Hudson, Vasquez, even Burke. And you know what sound bite is played when it is Game Over? Exactly.

The sound snippets are from the original movie, and I love exploring the table and finding new ways to score points… (also true for other tables I guess). I have not tried the other 2 Alien tables, Alien Vs Predator and Alien: Isolation… any good?

The Aliens tables are some of the better licensing deals they’ve done. A nice bit of variety among the three tables, and each one with its own distinct tone. Kind of like the Alien movies themselves!

The Jurassic Park collection is also pretty good for the same reason, but I don’t recall if they have actual soundbites from the movies. I would be surprised if they didn’t. They have one really fun rampaging dinosaurs table where you have to contain different kinds of escaped dinosaurs. It’s a great diversion from the tables slaved to set pieces from the movies.

The Jaws table is the absolute worst because it wasn’t allowed to use anything from the movies. No cast likenesses, so soundbites, no music. The table might as well have been called Generic Shark Hunt.

-Tom

I haven’t really played any Pinball FX since they pivoted away from making their own tables…that was where the fun was for me.

I’ve got like 6 different pinball parlors within a 20-minute drive of me to play real pinball, so I’m not particularly interested in second-rate remakes of real tables. I wish they’d go back to the fast, silly stuff they used to make.

I tried the Back To The Future (demo), and the table plays good, but I don’t think they have the original voices, and some Power-of-Love-like synth music. I suppose it is a hard (expensive) business to get the licenses (maybe it cuts into the sales money)…

Yeah, I am like 10 years late with the FX craze here on QT3 ;)

I was thinking of buying a real table or the “half real” Zen Pinball table (with LCD screen)… A real table is pretty expensive, and what if you don’t like it or get bored… It needs to be a really, really good one with lots of replaybility… There is one LCD table who even has online connectivity for highscores.

Time for some adventure!

Fuck yeah!

I was checking this, and it isn’t an original but a port of the Williams table.
Licensed Williams tables, ahoy!

Specifically, my favourite table ever.

Have any of you guys been playing the new Indiana Jones table? I’ve only got one other person on my friends high-score list (hi, @LordGek!), but I did recently purge a lot of Steam friends whose names I didn’t recognize. That might be why it looks like no one else is playing. :(

I wasn’t sold at first. The palette of the table just screams 1970s pinball more than 1940s serials. I mean, which movie is this supposed to be from?

Okay, I eventually came around on the look of the table. I kind of like how it’s bright and chipper and even a little gaudy.

But the more I play it – specifically the more I play the original Williams version with the tournament physics and none of Zen’s graphical embellishments – the more I like the actual table design. Just a really solid basic table with a straightforward layout, an emphasis on multiballs, and some of the most nostalgic digitized audio you’ll hear this side of a MIDI card.

I especially love Karen Allen’s super cheerful “See ya tomorrow, Indiana Jones!” when you lose your last ball. Surely the table designers know that makes me want to immediately start another game.

-Tom