Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

3 got a little too nutty for me to fully enjoy, and 4 was not good at all, but I enjoyed 1 and 2 and overall I’d say I got more positive out of the series than negative.

I liked 2 and 3 a lot too - the fact that they went oddly plot-heavy was charming to me. Still haven’t seen the 4th one though.

What was the fourth one again?

hits up IMDB

huh, I thought that was the third one. I vaguely recall seeing it now. Which tells you all you need to know, I can’t remember which one is which.

I had to stare at that one a bit. Is it actually Paul McCartney?

No, its Sir Paul McCartney.

LOL yeah, just a dumb thing I thought was funny so I put it together to see how many other folks would get it. For some reason that song (My Brave Face) from his solo album stuck with me all these years and so it was the first thing I thought of when I saw how he looked from the set of the film.

Good timing on this thread!

Wait, so there was only one copy?

At this point Disney has to PAY ME in order to watch Pirates 5, and I may even decline depending on my schedule. 2, 3, 4 were all atrocities compared with the first one.

Yep the first one ranks as one of my favourite films but the rest were pretty poor and each got progressively worse.

Absolutely, the first one felt like a fun omage to Monkey Island, but the rest sucked. This is similar to Star Wars for me, where sequels (or to be specific prequels) ruined the original for me. Really enjoyed the first one, but the after taste of the sequels has stopped me from revisiting it.

As I understand it, it’s not that the movie is being held hostage but rather that they’re threatening to release it to the wild.

Which is dumb. Disney won’t pay to keep Pirates 5 a secret. Who really cares about story spoilers in Pirates 5? A similar thing happened to the last season of Orange is the New Black. Hackers nabbed it and threatened to release it if Netlfix didn’t pay. Well, they didn’t hand over a cent, so the hackers were true to their word and leaked the whole season. No one cared.

Now, if the hackers had nabbed the next Star Wars film, Disney may have actually paid up.

I don’t think they care (much) about spoilers, but they probably do care about pirated copies before the film is even in theatres.

Oh, I’m sure someone at Disney cares about that. Just not enough to hand over a ransom to hackers.

Pirates is absolutely gigantic overseas though. In China, it’s far bigger than Star Wars.

Yeah I don’t get this. Is there any precedent for this kind of ransom scenario paying off? Seems like hardly any incentive for a studio to pay up. It’s mildly embarrassing that something got leaked (which remains true whether they pay or not), but financially what’s at stake here? Whether people pirate their film now or later? They can still just hit all the casuals with scary ISP letters, and then maybe years from now there will be some news blurb about the FBI arresting so and so responsible for that leak everyone already forgot about.

“Business” as usual, so I don’t understand why they suddenly think studios are going to pay up.

Now if there’s been some huge shift in how casual piracy works and we’re suddenly back at Napster levels of ease of access and lack of consequence, I could imagine a little more concern for these threats. Maybe I’m just out of the loop and all the Millenials are shouting “Hey Siri, play back the dailies from Infinity War!”

Rather hard to hit random punters in China/India/Brazil with ISP letters. And this is going to be better quality than some handheld camera in a theatre pirate job.

I’m not saying they’re going to pay up. I’m just saying it’s a bit more credible a threat than the Netflix one, given that Netflix obviously cares about piracy in general, but on one specific case isn’t going to see a measurable decline in revenue. Almost nobody is going to base their subscription decision on the basis of the availability elsewhere of one season of one show. For a studio film with a theatrical release and a big expected take in piracy-rife markets, it could be massive.

Oh yeah, I guess I’m still just thinking US. Makes more sense with China being such a big deal as a movie market now.

Okay, carry on.