Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

So when I was at Disney World two weeks ago, I got to see about 15 minutes of this movie. The scene involved the theft of a bank vault. I won’t jump into spoilers, only to say that it may have been the most over the top and unbelievable scene I have ever seen in a movie. But it was also entertaining and funny. After that preview I’m looking forward to seeing this for some mindless popcorn fun.

More over the top and unbelievable than using two tricked out sports cars to drag the bank vault down the highway while being chased by cops?

More ridiculous than skydiving muscle cars out of a C-130 into off road chases involving grappling hooks and semis?

Yes…

It is similar to this, but yes… more unbelievable.

Hah, that was exactly what I thought of too. You go girl.

I think I might be the only person in the world that thought 3 was great fun. 2 wasn’t horrible, but not great, and there was no 4.

Yeah, 2 and 3 were decent. Davy Jones and Tia Dalma were interesting characters, but those first two sequels were far short of the first movie. 4 was a dud. Might’ve been ok were it not for the boring mermaid sidestory. That felt like the kind of snoozer romantic subplot you’d find in a Marx Bros movie that has you checking your watch until Harpo comes back and dismantles another piano.

[quote=“Daagar, post:48, topic:76448”]
I think I might be the only person in the world that thought 3 was great fun. 2 wasn’t horrible, but not great, and there was no 4.[/quote]

You’re certainly not. The hivemind here has always had a hate-on for all but the first, but they’re well made movies, and I think the second and third were very entertaining. They’re not without fault, but to label them garbage is ridiculous Internet-talk.

I didn’t actively dislike the 4th movie, but I don’t really have much interest in watching it again.

I do want to see Dead Men Tell No Tales.

In the interest of not making our small club feel quite so small, I’ll echo the above sentiments. Certainly looking forward to the new installment.

My reaction was a bit different than my friends. They all went gaga over the first one. I thought it was fun, but certainly not something worth seeing multiple times in the theater like they did. And then the second one I thought was just as fun, but they hated it.

And then I fell asleep during the 3rd one multiple times while trying to watch it. I’m not sure why I found it so boring. It’s as if, between the 2nd and 3rd movies, I completely lost interest somehow, and couldn’t figure out what the appeal was anymore.

I didn’t know there was a 4th movie until I read this thread.

All I remember about the 3rd movie, is that there was a boat sailing on a beach.

Didn’t the 4th movie take place in England?

A good portion of the beginning, yes.

This Pirates movie was better than the sequels and they meet the queen as well!

Will this be better than The Pirate Movie?

No chance.

Or even Roman Polanski’s Pirates, with Walter Matthau! No I didn’t make that up, in fact I saw it in the theater -

Hey, hey, hey! We have reviews popping up!

[quote]
Now, 14 years and four films later, the “Pirates” franchise has finally delivered exactly what cynics had expected all along. Containing only the faintest traces of the spark that turned this once unpromising idea into a nearly four billion-dollar enterprise, Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg’s “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales” is a mercenary, visually unappealing exercise in brand maintenance. The franchise has lost a bit of its luster with every successive installment, but never has a “Pirates” film felt this inessential, this depressingly pro forma.[/quote]

Too bad about the reviews, seeing it tomorrow anyway!

I will have to remember that one.