Pixar's Inside Out (2015)

Go to like a 10pm show – the only other people there will be people who don’t have kids with them, or people who are (by definition) terrible parents.

If this thread is anything to go by, apparently you need to have your brain somewhat melted by having children to enjoy it.

I have no kids, and I liked it. It’s not Pixar’s best work, but it’s enjoyable.

sat through it without kids, didn’t get a single weird stare from the families around me (and their kids behaved well too!)

Don’t have kids (one on the way and uncle to 5) but I thought it was brilliant. Yes I said brilliant. I thought the way they depict the the mental chaos that goes on in a child’s mind as it battles with feelings of depression was amazing. Yes there were parts that dragged, and a major “why didn’t frodo just fly on an eagle to mount doom” moment, but I’m willing to overlook it because the general concept and execution was just too good.

He guys, I have a idea for a Adam Sandler movie!.

Aliens watch “Inside Out” from out space and mis understood it. From the movie they get the idea that the male population of earth are all brutes prones to violence, and that womens are nuanced characters. So they decided to exterminate all the males, but one, a smug taxi driver that can’t stop talking played by Adam Sandler.

My wife and I saw this movie without our son, who at 16 would probably only be embarassed by it. I thought it was much more aimed at parents than children, and parents’ emotional buttons are pressed with astonishing precision. It seems like that is the technique Pixar has been perfecting more than CGI, and this movie succeeds masterfully; all the more remarkable since the underlying artistic vision is so simple and generic. I wouldn’t have missed the movie–it does so well at what it is trying to do. But in the end it seems more like product than art, and I felt more manipulated than genuinely moved.

I definitely agree with this. It’s like they hit all the beats, but not much happened. I don’t know, it missed the mark with me. I enjoyed it while watching it, but I do think it’s lesser Pixar. I guess I need to put them into a list to know how disappointed I was with it overall. -_-

I haven’t really feel any real interest in this after seeing the trailer… it just felt gimmicky to me in a bad way. On par with Big, Change-Up, Liar Liar, where the people are just puppets to the plot construct, I have trouble finding empathy for them, in opposition to films like Toy Story and Honey I Shrunk the Kids, where real ‘people’ are subject to a changed world or a different perspective.

That’s an amusing comparison for me, since Malick’s To The Wonder was a gross oversimplification of human emotions with all the subtlety of a hammer. Inside Out is far more delightful & has more emotional complexity.

As far as Inside Out is concerned on its own merits, I can fully acknowledge that it felt a bit formulaic, that the art was mostly uninspired (by Pixar standards), and that the rules were basically established on the fly—although on this last point I do feel they always made sense in the context of riffing off the human brain & its common tropes. But I don’t think any of this detracted in the slightest from what was ultimately an emotional journey, not a physical one. The point of those obstacles was not to stop Joy & Sadness from returning to the command center. It was to teach Joy how to accept Sadness. On that front, I think the movie fully succeeds. I’d also wager that, narratively speaking, the trope-ridden real world stuff was the metaphor, and the brain world, while driven more by artistic rules than physical ones, was where all the substance lay. I couldn’t have cared less about how pedestrian the real world bits were. Shorthand, indeed.

I really like the negative opinions in the first page of this thread, based entirely on the trailer. Some enjoyable reading there after having seen the movie ;)

So I didn’t even know this film existed until I was dragged to see it. Overall, I thought it was great, as was the animated short shown before it (Lava). I’ll admit I let out a little tear at the end – I don’t have kids, so I don’t know if how that happened as I presumably haven’t been infected by the brain rot required to do such a thing.

The only wrong-note I think the film had was the way Joy describes Sadness’s usefullness purely in terms of “People pay attention to us when we’re sad, therefore sadness has uses”. Seemed a bit too much like describing all forms of sadness as attention-seeking?

I used to be the kind of person that would complain about how unrealistic a movie was and detail every single instance of unrealisticness, but I gave that up a while ago. These days I’m not really concerned with the exact implementation of a world a movie is describing, just the general jist. However one things stood out to me:

How can “Joy” cry? She’s joy? Surely she can only be joyous? Does Joy have little people inside of her head, too? Is it little homunculi all the way down? ;)

I leaned over and whispered that same question to my wife. I think the answer is yes!

Except in dogs and cats.

The movie finally got released over here…

Loved it. Easily one of Pixar’s finest and–to me–their return to old form after their recent output. (I didn’t care much for Brave, thought Monsters University was rather forgettable, didn’t like Cars 2.)

• Having minored in psychology, I enjoyed Pete Docter’s take on how the emotional system works. Paul Ekman got a nod in the credits, no idea if he did some consulting work though. I mean, it’s not like it was trying to be an accurate representation of certain models, but it clearly took some inspiration here and there and also incorporated some other assumptions, e.g. the function of sleep with regards to longterm memory.

• I dug the message. That part of embracing/appreciating your negative emotions really resonated with me and is both aimed at children as well as adults. And when I’m talking about adults, I’m not just referring to overprotective parents. I can’t stand the “Be positive!” wave that has been pushed by motivational gurus/books in the past 15 years. And I’m pretty sure everyone knows someone who’s adamant about cutting out negative vibes and keeping a smile no matter what.

• Based on the kitchen scene in the trailer I expected the movie to constantly switch around between the different minds. It focusing on Riley’s mind gave the story enough room to explore concepts such as the imagination or the memory dump. Probably also made the few scenes in which we get a glimpse into someone else (kitchen scene & credits) stand out more, too.

• I liked that the story was an emotional journey (even literally) that didn’t need a villain or the stakes being super-high. The climax is about Riley running away and getting on that bus. It’s about her and her family’s emotional well-being, not some aliens invading Earth or a sinister force threatening some fairytale world. That was nice for a change, and it was just as engaging.

• For a few minutes I was worried that Bing Bong would turn out to be another Stinky Pete or Lotso. You know, a character that seems benevolent at first, but turns out to be bitter and evil as a result of being neglected. With Bing Bong being Riley’s forgotten imaginary friend, that would have been a possibility.

• That part about the memory workers trolling the mind by sending up the memory of the commercial again and again: awesome.

• The train of thought crashing and falling into the memory dump: I bet, had this been a Blue Sky production, you’d have seen a character exclaim “Oh no, I’ve lost my train of thought!” Because, you know, it might no have been obvious enough otherwise, amirite?

Yeah, one thing that is cool about this movie is that it takes a page from Miyazaki and forgoes a typical protagonist/antagonist plot. There is no bad guy, just bad things happening. I loved this movie. One of my favorite Pixar films in years. This also happens to be one of their emotionally deepest films as well.

I grabbed the BluRay at the store the other day based on what I had read here. Not much of a gamble, since it was Pixar, but still.

Great story, and ludicrously affecting for no reason I could actually put my finger on. I enjoyed the “short” that came with the BluRay too - Reilly’s First Date.

I also watched it over the weekend. I thought it was one of Pixar’s best, easily up there with Up and the first half of Wall-E. While many of the story beats were easy to see coming, the final bit with Bing Bong in particular, I did enjoy the way the film developed. Yes, this is definitely a movie squarely aimed at parents, particularly parents of kids under 13. But, hey, that’s me. Several genuinely laugh out loud moments for me and my wife. Even my 2 year old loved it.

He was very upset about the train though. He is slightly obsessed with trains.

The short was also fantastic. “Give him THE BOOT”

The quick hits during the credits with the various personalities made me chuckle. An easy set of jokes (the bus driver with only 5 Anger emotions), but made me laugh anyway.

I thought the throw-away jokes were some of the funniest in the movie. “What’s this new set of controls? Puberty? It’s probably nothing.”

Sequel announced.

Thread here.

Agree!!!