Pizza chains

Ick. Domino’s thin crust is like they spilled pizza ingredients on matzo.

My wife likes it sometimes though.

The new Dominos pizza is much better then most other of the pizza chains.

I rarely do pizza chains, but I guess if I had to pick, I would go with Papa John’s. I like Uno’s better, but that doesn’t feel like a chain to me for some reason. Just a TGIFridays that sells pizza.

I think Uno’s chain pizza tastes better than a lot of other chain pizzas (Pizza Hut, for example), but I don’t eat it any more for two reasons. One, I’ve eaten at the real Uno’s, which is approximately seventeen times better and pretty much spoils you for chain Uno’s pizza, and two, I made the mistake of looking at the nutritional information for the chain Uno’s pies. It’s truly scary stuff. Their individual pan pizzas, which are tiny enough for one person to easily consume in one sitting, contain 2,500 calories and 165 grams of saturated fat. That’s, like, more than an entire day’s supply of calories for the average person! It’s crazy.

A pizza Hut personal pan pizza, for comparison purposes, is about the same size and has 600-700 calories, depending on what you get on it. That’s still a lot, but it’s not even in the same league as chain Uno’s pizza.

I have one kid who loves Round Table and one who likes Me-N-Eds, a local/regional chain. Neither will eat the others pizza of choice.

I think they represent the way most people see pizza.

My dad worked at Me-N-Eds, loved their garlic bread. But easily got tired of their pizza since he bought something home almost everyday.

All pizza up here in Alaska sucks, it’s all plain and bland. The sad truth is, Costco probably makes one of the better pizzas up here.

Sure that isn’t the total fat? Huge number even if it is, and the calorie total itself is staggering.

That, my friend, is indeed sad. Try to visit NYC one day. You will experience bliss.

That is incorrect about the Personal Pan Pizza. Its 640 calories, 29g fat (11g sat) according to this.

2500 calories is like a whole entire pizza.

Panago is my current preference. They’ve got a nice variety, enough toppings, good wings, and aren’t too greasy. Quality might vary a bit after their recent rapid expansion, though; a friend up near Edmonton says that the place near him is terrible, but he has liked it from other spots.

Oddly enough, I still occasionally crave Pizza 73, even though I wouldn’t really put them among the better chains. The toppings and cheese are so baked together that it almost looks artificial, but there’s still something oddly satisfying about their pizza-n-wings deals. Nostalgia of days long past, perhaps.

I’ve never really liked Pizza Hut, though. Maybe it’s just the place near me, but the topping have always been too thin, the crust too hard, and just too greasy overall.

Did you ever have DiCiccio’s (another loal/regional chain)? Decent Italian food (nice Calzones) but their pizza’s are so greasy you just didn’t feel safe eating them.

I don’t know about pizza specifically, but Costco’s bakery section does a surprisingly good job on a whole range of items.

Well, fees are why I don’t order from the “local” non-franchise places near me. More specifically, they may deliver a pizza that is 10% better than the local Papa Johns, but I don’t want to pay 75% more for it.

I’ve always held (without any real evidence) that the Dominos that delivered to me when I lived in Ann Arbor was really good, because at least at the time, that’s where the founder lived (and it is where it started, I believe).

I know the other Dominos I’ve experienced in other cities have been much worse.

He said the Pizza Hut one has 6-700 (or something like that). He’s comparing that with the Uno’s personal pizza, which is the one he said had something like 2500 calories.

I was surprised nobody had mentioned Costco until this point. It’s one of the better cheap pizzas out there. Little Caesar’s is the worst.

My mistake.

Actually, you are right, that is total fat (for the Chicago Classic, FWIW). Saturated fat is 54g, which is a mere 270% of your recommended daily allowance. Also: 4,650mg of sodium. Yowza.

Sarkus: yeah, the 2,500 calorie figure was for the Uno’s pizza. The Pizza Hut pie is practically health food compared to that.

I like Costco and didn’t mean it as a prejorative, it’s just the pizza up here is abysmal. When I go to Costco I usually grab a slice of pizza on the way out too. It’s a decent slice of pizza but it should in no way be regarded as one of the better pizza places in town, which for me in Alaska it sadly is. I don’t know how Costco can have a decent pizza but everybody else be lacking. It’s not like they have their own dairy and farm up here. They have to get everything shipped in which is probably why the pizza up here is just so bad, whether it’s from a chain or even a local place.

When I took a trip to Georgia last year, I ate at a Mellow Mushroom which is a regional chain and that was absolutely fantastic, a world of difference compared to what is available up here.

To be fair, Alaska probably has really good crab cakes, and moose borsch.

In Madison WI, it is Glass Nickel all of the way.