Pizza chains

I don’t give a shit where it comes from, good pizza is good pizza. I’ve enjoyed Chicago pizza on my visits, and have heard great things about NY pizza too, and it’s on my list to try someday.

Put that elitism to work and give us suggestions…although in keeping with the spirit of the thread I guess they should focus on chains. I’ll definitely take your suggestions for when I get there.

Ill take a casserole anyday over shit on a shingle!

There aren’t any nationwide pizza chains worth mentioning, really. If you look around you can probably find something independent that’s palatable.

Gondolier is a regional chain in Eastern TN/southern KY/western NC that is really fucking good Mediterranean food with a healthy helping of entirely decent pizza.

I’d also argue that Mellow Mushroom is a wide-ranging chain with perfectly serviceable pizza, albeit not delivery.

Correction, fold-y shingle. Roll it up and eat those scant toppings and mostly cheesy bread.

Seriously, not to knock NYC but there are good examples of the style, but “New York Style” all over the country has given the few tried and true examples a tough time being ranked as “best style.”

I’ll plug Neopolitan style here as a fave, but the toppings there can be … different.

That’s because they suck. Unos is worldwide and sucks but it doesn’t define chicago-style cheese casseroles any more than Sbarro and NY pizza. Same with your local bready shitstain “NY Bagel” chain off in flyover country, or really any regional speciality. Chains are always inauthentic, and usually terrible to boot.

I mean, when I’m constipated I like Chipotle as much as the next guy, but it isn’t actually mexican food.

Well, we didn’t say it was ultimately GREAT pizza (compared to NY). Just decent enough when you have to order from a national chain.

Diego

I’ve never felt the urge to try Sbarro when I’m actually at a mall food court. They’re always there, but who wants to eat Pizza when you could have so many other things at the food court, like Teriyaki Chicken at the Japanese place, or Black Pepper Chicken from Panda Express, or a Gyro from the Mediterranean place, or a Philly Cheese or so many other choices. The only time I’ve wondered about trying Sbarro is when I’m sitting at home wondering how Sbarro tastes, since I’ve never been to New York, and I idly wonder what NY style pizza tastes like from a national chain. Michael from The Office going to NYC and going to Sbarro’s is a happy memory from that series that always bubbles up when I think of that chain.

But when I’m actually at a mall food court? I never feel tempted by Sbarro.

I’m all about whichever place it is that has bourbon chicken? I think that’s the Asian themed place who’s cuisine is like a medley of future heartburn and regret.

It’s usually some place that seems to have several indicators of being Cajun but actually just serves the same menu as the Chinese joint next door with the addition of bourbon chicken.

It is the best place in the mall, of course.

Mellow Mushroom is where you go if you want some pretty good pizza but you don’t think you’ll be hungry for an hour or two. Across three different locations, they’re consistently remarkably slow by any dining standard.

The pizza Louis CK eats at the beginning of his show looks so, soooo awesome. I want that.

Man, how could we forget them. Decent pizza but yeah, slow as watching paint dry.

That’s Ben’s on macdougal. It’s a very representative slice, nothing particularly special but perfectly fine. Not a destination spot for an out of towner certainly.

Jon Stewart seems to agree with you!

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/fe/feb9f0710c236d51bf6bf3b0e6c69e8bc17b71633aa965e99b69e1d2d8c4f7bd.jpg

Well John can’t be right about everything.

I bet that every single one of you who goes on about Chicago style pizza, would gladly sit down and have a slice with me if you were in town.

and you would like it

I had some fantastic pizza when I lived in southern NJ, but unfortunately, now I live in Southern PA. I had a friend that moved from Southern NJ to Ohio, and he complains about the lack of pizza regularly.

I would love to have a pizza flavored pie with you.