Places like this scare the shit out of me

This seems more like a cult than a college. How absurd is it when not even the Lord himself could have graduated from this place because he was always standing too close to prostitutes and telling them their sins were forgiven.

O_o

They have the right to set those sorts of restrictions, since it’s a private college and going there is voluntary…

I can’t imagine being a graduate from such a place is worth much, though.

They sure do. Likewise, I have the right to have the shit scared out of me, as well as the right to ridicule them publicly.

It gets you hired at the DOJ!

Also: Eye Babies!

Another generation of sexually-frustrated people joins the societal mix. How awesome.

And we wonder why super-pastors at super-churches turn out to be gay.

Ted Haggard went to this college? And not being allowed to fraternize with women turned him gay?

It’s not a right. It’s a duty.

No, Ted Haggart was and is a sexually repressed psycho. Just like those people.

By the way, please don’t make me google “Catholic Priest” and “Little Boy”.

In the US, maybe for the time being. Doing so in some countries would be against the law, and for good reason! Really, you ought to learn to be more tolerant, Funkula. It’s disgraceful and only shows your ignorance of their culture. Didn’t it occur to you that maybe they want to be subjugated? Next you’ll tell us a veil is misogynist! That sort of barbaric religious intolerance should not be allowed to exist in this modern time.

psyche

Additionally, here is a bit on old Ted:

And his school, “Oral Roberts” (I had to giggle at the name):

Coincidence? This sounds to my cynical mind like a little recipe for happy times for evangelical crazies.

“All students are required to sign a pledge stating they will live according to the university’s honor code. Prohibited activities include lying, cursing, smoking, drinking, gambling and a range of sexual acts including homosexual behavior. In early 2004 the student dress code was relaxed for the first time in forty years and described as business casual. For most of the school’s history men were required to wear button-down shirts and ties while women were required to wear skirts (an exception for winter months was added in 2000). In 2006 campus-wide dress code rules were eased even further, allowing students to wear jeans to class and dress even more casually in non-academic settings. Restrictions on men concerning hair length, facial hair and earrings remain”.

There’s lots of things I think are stupid, but nothing suggests these folks were forced to go to this particular school.

Hey, the catholic church requires its priests to take a vow of chastity. Let’s make fun of that, too!

My favorite thing about the Ted Haggerd controversy is the interview he did with Richard Dawkins (the Militant Athiest) right before Haggerd was outted.

The documentary is called “The Root of All Evil” and you could probably find it on Google Video. Spoiler: the root of all evil is religion.

Forced, no, but it does push itself pretty heavily in the home-schooled demographic. At best, we’re talking about a choice made with very limited information input. And the school is designed to keep those information horizons as narrow as possible. It reminds me a bit of those boarding schools for troubled teens (located in the Caribbean to minimize legal hassle) that essentially rely on thought-control techniques.

Perhaps I should have excerpted this part, since it’s the bit I found most disturbing:

There are three levels of official punishment at Pensacola (four, if you count expulsion). Students can be “socialed,” “campused,” or “shadowed.” Students who are socialed are not allowed to talk to members of the opposite sex for two weeks. Those who are campused may not leave the college grounds for two weeks or speak to other campused students.

Being shadowed is the worst of the three. Shadowed students are assigned to a “floor leader” for several days. A floor leader is a student who is paid by the college and has the power to issue demerits. Shadowed students must attend the floor leader’s classes and sleep in the floor leader’s room. During this time, the shadowed student is not allowed to talk to anyone but the floor leader. Shadowing is usually a prelude to expulsion.

Also, Anti-Bunny, if you’re trying to be oblique, you’re missing the mark and just being irrelevant instead.

You are right, no one forced them. I could argue years of indoctrination by family members, but in the end no one “technically” forced them.

I’m not making fun of Catholic Priests (I was making fun of a school called Oral Roberts, that turned out one of the biggest hypocrites of the past 10 years). I am drawing a parallel between a recognized problem in the Catholic church and the results of forced abstinence.

If I say “Serial Killers are typically white, male, often cruel to animals and sexually repressed members of society” do you think I’m making fun of them? I’m simply drawing a pattern.

I wasn’t being oblique. I was being sarcastic. I do think you should be allowed to say you’re afraid of crazy Christians and ridicule them in public.

Actually, it’s estimated that around 5% of the population is homosexual. This means that a not statistically insignificant proportion of any social group, including attendees of fundamentalist bible colleges, posters on gaming message boards, your World of Warcraft guild, or anywhere else, will be gay.

Sublimination doesn’t turn you gay, it just screws you up if you are gay. (Or straight, for that matter.)

It is stupid for priests to take a vow of chastity, and stupid for the Catholic Church to require it.

Almost all of Humanae Vitae is morally and logically reprehensible.

Plus, the Pope is a jerk.

True, and well said.

But is it safe to assume an equal distribution of gay people among every social group?

Subjectively, I find it hard to believe that every WoW guild will have a not statistically insignicant portion of gay members. Or, if you prefer the homophobic and repressed angle, that any guild could exist without that 5%.

There are plenty of other ways to run afoul of the rules. Last spring Timothy Dow was caught playing the video game Halo 2. Such games are banned by the college. Movies are also forbidden, including those rated G. Music is restricted to classical or approved Christian (“contemporary Christian” artists are deemed too worldly). Students are allowed to watch television news at 6 o’clock, but that’s it. The TVs are controlled by college employees, who flip a switch to black out the commercials, lest students see anything inappropriate.

In the library, books and magazines are censored. One student says she saw a pair of black-marker boxer shorts on a photograph of Michelangelo’s David. Any books that students wish to read that are not in the library must first be approved by administrators. Those containing references to “magic,” for instance, are normally rejected. The rule book specifically prohibits “fleshly magazines and books.”

Students routinely turn each other in for violating rules and are rewarded by the administration for doing so. According to several former students, those who report classmates are more likely to become floor leaders.

If I might make a small suggestion, GROW. THE. FUCK. UP. Thank you.

He says because rules can be “made up on the spot,” it seems impossible to abide by all of them. “There’s a feeling of helplessness and a spirit of fear,” he says. “Not to put too fine a point on it, but there’s a very 1984 feel to the place.”

“I said ‘screw it’ and I left,” she says.

I think we’re done here.