Places like this scare the shit out of me

They should just rename the college to a Madrassah, then no one would think it’s a big deal… Unless you’re a biggot.

Thank you, AB, but we got it the first time you said it in this thread. It wasn’t clever then, either.

I’ve driven by the campus of this school a few times; the buildings were fairly new (2005) and the college grounds were immaculately kept. In all, they seem to have no problems getting funding, which isn’t surprising, given the fact that the city is also known for its megachurches.

It isn’t, nevertheless, a compound. It’s built pretty much like any private college would be, even if the grounds are eerily empty at all times of the day. Walk around any university during a sunny afternoon, and then remove 99.99% of the people you see from the scene. THAT is how this place looked. You’d see lone students in tie-and-slacks clutching their books to their chest, hurrying along the sidewalk.

It isn’t a vital place by any stretch of the imagination, and there’s also a public university and a community college nearby, which do feel much more college-y (what with the aging buildings, the throngs of people, the frisbees and the faint fragrance of hydroponic hash). People who go to this college are coerced into going, and if the kids are even faintly aware that they have a choice in the matter, they’ll go to the public university instead.

I wonder what proportion of students who are expelled go on to attend a real college?

So…you’d be in favor of disallowing schools like this and/or their related teachings? For all the talk by people who don’t like the school’s beliefs, I see few people advocating any sort of actions to change anything. And if nothing’s to be changed, what’s the point in complaining about it?

And I know a few people who’ve graduated from that school. I know a male who’s a full-time youth pastor, a female who’s a happy stay-at-home mom (married to a lawyer who also graduated from there), and a female who’s a teacher at a private elementary Christian school. Dunno if they’re representative of the average graduate, but they’ve all seemed pretty normal to me.

Actually, Oral Roberts has been rocked by scandal recently. It seems Oral’s son, Richard Roberts was living the high life off of the tuition money.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,299761,00.html

and apparently students are leaving in droves:

http://www.christianpost.com/article/20080503/students-leaving-oral-roberts-university-after-scandal.htm