Plague Inc. EVOLVED

I mean, I understand why they are doing it. It’s a very sensitive subject right now, especially in China. Personally I think it’s heavy handed, especially since the game has been out for quite some time. But … China.

Though of a different kind of event, lets not forget what all September 11th did to games at the time:

On behalf of all players of Plague Inc. we’ve made a $250,000 donation split between the Coalition of Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI) and the World Health Organisation’s COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund.

Also a new update soon, where you try to save the world from a virus.

Be honest, Qt3, how many have been firing this up lately?

The game has really expanded from when I last checked it out. It has a mode for zombies, planet of the apes, and vampires. Each look interesting and are either much harder than the regular mode or I am especially dumb because I can’t beat them.

Then there’s a series of official scenarios. I played one that was actually about creating a new board game and releasing it to the world. The game tracks number of people interested in each country (akin to ‘infected’), and once you release the number of sales (akin to ‘dead’). It was pretty fun to do, at least once.

I enjoyed the vampire scenario a lot a few years back.

I played it a bunch a few years ago and felt it was too “tappy” - I never really felt a connect between what I was doing and the outcome of the came.

Or maybe I’m just a sore loser!

Did any of the updates tweak the gameplay notably? I dug the game, but–as also noted by others in this thread–felt that it played too same-ey across the various virus strands because of the necessity to optimize for Madagascar.

I played it a few times when it came out, but even years ago, I found contemplating the reality of what the game is evoking somewhat disturbing.

I don’t think I could enjoy it now at all.

I would suggest - and also for people put off by the subject matter - playing the quasi-sequel Rebel Inc instead. It’s sort of like a lovechild of Plague Inc and Vietnam 65, and has much more varied replays than Plague Inc.

I will definitely try it again once the new scenario is out where we try to save the world.

Good call. Haven’t checked that out yet.

Agreed Rebel Inc. is excellent and the kind of made-with-love followup every retired millionaire game creator should aspire to. I’ve beaten all the maps on the hardest difficulty (although I haven’t played the update that added mechanized troops) and enjoyed it. My only complaint is you don’t need complete knowledge of what the improvements do to win on the hardest difficulty if you have a strong understanding of the combat and control system.

I played and won the bacteria and virus campaigns and played them pretty similarly. It’s kind of a need concept and liked the experience, but it seems too repetitive to keep playing.

Spoken like a man without a bus commute!

Yeah, I can see it being something to do on a commute…if I had one :-)

New thing coming out.

Plague Inc: The Cure is out now!

BRISTOL, UK (11th November, 2020) In partnership with global health experts, Ndemic Creations has released Plague Inc: The Cure - a major expansion for the best selling game Plague Inc. (over 160 million players worldwide).

In a reversal from the classic game, players must try to save the world by controlling the global pandemic response.

• Hunt the Disease: Dispatch research teams around the world to find patient zero, track the spread of the outbreak, boost testing capacity and support local responses.

• Control the Outbreak: Implement measures such as contact tracing, lockdowns and border closures to limit the spread of the outbreak, whilst getting people to wash their hands and preparing hospitals to prevent them getting overwhelmed. - Support the Economy: People won’t comply with poorly designed quarantine/lock down measures; use furlough schemes and other policies to drive community support and consensus. - Develop a Vaccine: Research, manufacture and distribute a vaccine to stop the disease. Work carefully and promote global cooperation to accelerate development.

Created with the help of world health and infectious disease experts from all over the world including the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness (CEPI), World Health Organisation (WHO) and Global Outbreak Alert and Response Network (GOARN), Plague Inc: The Cure sees players balance social, economic and global health factors in order to keep the disease under control whilst also maintaining public trust.

James Vaughan, the founder of Ndemic Creations said:

“Plague Inc: The Cure is an engaging and timely simulation which lets players explore the issues that humanity faces when trying to stop a global pandemic”

“It was extremely challenging to fit such a complex topic into a game but the input that experts from CEPI and elsewhere provided has been invaluable in ensuring that Plague Inc: The Cure is both educational and engaging”

“Eight years ago, I never imagined the real world would come to resemble a game of Plague Inc. or that my game would be in a position to help educate and inform people. Plague Inc: The Cure will be free for all Plague Inc. players until COVID-19 is under control.”

Richard Hatchett, the CEO of CEPI said:

“From contact tracing to vaccine development and manufacturing, Plague Inc: The Cure encapsulates the complexities of a global pandemic response and highlights how crucial international collaboration is needed to address such a threat.”

“Games like Plague Inc: The Cure represent an incredibly important medium for education and public awareness that can be used to show the world the steps needed to address similar global health threats and their associated complexities.”

“We are delighted that Ndemic Creations have taken the initiative to raise awareness of both the tools—like vaccines, therapeutics, and diagnostics—needed and the challenges that must be overcome to rapidly and effectively respond to outbreaks of emerging infectious diseases.”

Plague Inc: The Cure is now available as an expansion for the game Plague Inc. It can be downloaded from the App Store and Google Play. It will be available on PC soon.

Plague Inc: The Cure will be free for all Plague Inc. players until COVID-19 is under control.

Learn more about CEPI’s response to COVID-19 and other emerging disease threats here: www.cepi.net/plagueinc

Nice, will give it a go later today.

Steam page is up:

Those are two similar campaigns, the other stuff like Prions take different methods, I’d say keep going.

The Cure is out, free for owners on the original game.

I feel like I can maybe play this game again. I had no idea they were going Pandemic with this.