Planet Coaster - Rollercoaster Tycoon with Frontier Development

I would have thought Planet Coaster would have sold more copies than that. But still it’s good they eclipsed the 1 mil mark.

I remember passing on this when it first came out. I recently picked it up, and while I enjoy it, there is something just a tad bit about that I feel is lacking. It’s still the best attempt for years, very close.

The “game” part of Planet Coaster just isn’t that compelling. Like Cities: Skylines, it’s a wonderfully creative sandbox design toy, but the actual challenge of running a theme park is zilch.

It’s great for tooling around and sculpting a crackerjack of an amusement park, but the business almost manages itself no matter the setup. I love messing with it, and I’m glad Frontier made it, but I really hope they build a better game next time.

Yep. And while I enjoy tinkering with track rides and coasters and some scenery, I don’t want to spend an hour making a fancy bathroom. I miss getting like happy little people cheering coming off my coasters and VIPs and a stream of peeps piling into a pool.

Holy cow, this a million billion times. My nieces and nephew and I loved playing RCT3 because you make stuff quick and easy.

Same with me too. I don’t feel the urge to play it. And I only played the first scenario. I just didn’t feel as connected with the park and people. It’s a shame as it’s beautiful.

Oh God yes this. I switched to Parkitect. Far more fun.

I am still kind of enjoying this game, but last night I ran into a surprising number of bugs. The collision logic seems complete off from the visual in some cases, like star cases gusts can’t walk down for no apparent reason, a ride blocking a que even though the two completed independently.

I created so many blue prints, just so I can drop down a cheap toilet, a burger stand or gulpee. I mean, I really like the 5k fantasy castle drink stands, but they’re pretty impractical outside of sandbox, no matter how pretty they are. I am super annoyed that the blue prints easily mix and match themes but they don’t really tell you which one, so it’s kind of a crapshot to open them in career mode… which means I spend another hour creating another one from scratch using the themes I do have.

I love the music though, very visually appealing too.

So no shuttle mode on the transports, and I think there are only three of them. Tunneling for paths is kind of a pain and it feels like a number of the Career scenarios are designed in a way where you are supposed to do certain things in a certain place in order to succeed. The collision checks are definitely off from what you visually see which presents as a bug even though I know what it is.

I still enjoy the game, but it does feel like it’s a step back in several areas from where RCT3 left off even if it is a leap forward in terms of appearance.

So this is on sale for $12. The sentiment here seems pretty “meh.” Is it worth $12?

Do you like building theme parks? Do you like adjusting and modeling rollercoasters? Like, a lot? Then $12 is definitely worth it. The game is probably the best amusement park freeform sandbox ever.

If you’re looking for business stuff, more on the “tycoon” side, then maybe not.

It’s not a good tycoon game but look on YouTube for some fantastic park creations. I have plenty of tycoon games so I’m quite happy with it.

I was a big fan of RCT 1 and 2 but never got into 3 and it’s been a long time since I played them. I guess I’ll hold off for now. I’m sure it will go on sale again soon.

It’s worth $12.

I paid about 11. I get frustrated sometimes (there’s some messed up pathing), and surprising short-coming but there is fun to be had.

“Studios Pack” DLC announced. $10.99 on March 27th. Rides, scenery bits, etc all based on a Universal Tours style theme.

Everyone will get a free update around then that adds hotels for guests, underground pathing, and player triggered day/night.

This game needs some major managerial content. It’s kinda boring if you don’t like constructing stuff from scratch as there’s no challenge to the game. Not sure if the upcoming patch addresses that at all.

Reddit really likes the new Studios pack… May have to give this a shot. I skip the adventure one, but I’m almost in the mood to build a new park…

Did it add any managey type stuff? or more pre-made scenarios?