Planet Coaster - Rollercoaster Tycoon with Frontier Development

Hey that’s a great tip, thanks for that.

Yeah, and that’s the kind of thing that could easily be explained in a tutorial.

Hey, Frontier! If you’re going to wimp out on the management side of things and go hard on the creative features, then you really should include good tutorials to get people going with those tools. Handing someone a full toolbox and some wood is not a good way to get them to build a cabinet.

And… good tutorials != links to youtube videos.

I was gonna say giving someone a copy of Word doesn’t turn them into Shakespeare, but yeah, that’s it exactly.

Another thing I’m not happy about is the severe shortage of Frontier-created blueprints for shops, rides, etc. I had hoped that the official release would include a ton of it, but according to this post, nope, there’s barely anything there. Meaning if you want a, say, Western-themed Information Booth or a modern Restroom (!) you have to either build it yourself or head to the Steam Workshop.

Now, the community will no doubt make amazing things. But as cool as that community content will be, I want to play the game now, not dig around the Steam Workshop for hours, or spend hours digging through the asset tree to build a restroom before I place it.

(And if a middle-aged game designer is saying these things, just imagine what the proverbial kid and his parents will be saying on Christmas morning …)

Yup. Both RCTW and Planet Coaster lean hard on the creative side of things. Both games depend on players either building everything by hand themselves or downloading other people’s work.

I was shocked when I saw the scarcity of pre-made buildings and coasters. Some of the coaster types don’t even have a pre-made template!

in the current state: is there economic simulation or similar?

Depends on what you’re looking for in the economic simulation. At a basic level, yes. There are factors influenced by money and park patrons’ happiness determines your park’s revenue. At a more granular level, the answer is more complicated.

I’d say it’s about on par with Cities: Skylines. The economic model is very simple and it’s pretty easy to remain profitable.

So you can’t really fail then, if you even remotely try… no challenge?

Personally I got bored with Cities Skylines in about 10 minutes, so this, to me, feels like it has more of a challenge to it. I think I need to give Parkitect a try to see how they compare though…

I’m tempted too but my success rate with EA titles is about 50/50… as in about 50% of them see their vision complete and they’re fun to play. The rest never exit EA or just kind of get dumped by the dev so they can move onto something else they want to do.

Yeah, I can’t blame you. I’m gonna play more PC this weekend to see if the sheen wears off, but so far I’m feeling very positive on it.

I never did get around to playing RCT3 though…

Well, technically, this is out of early access. So there’s that.

Frontier did say they’re committed to updating and supporting the game, although I haven’t seen a roadmap or anything like that yet.

I thiiiiink Nesrie was referring to Parkitect but I’m not 100%.

You’re right. I am.

OMG YAY! :)

Ah, apologies, then.

So far, as a creative toy, this is great.

As a management sim? Not so much.

That’s what I enjoyed so much about the RCT games, it did both of those things well, IMO.

I liked RCT3 a lot too, but once you added water it was pretty much smooth sailing in terms of money. I mean too many people in the park not bringing in the cash… giant pool and golden. It was fun though.

I never cared for RCT 3. I felt the series went 3D too soon (ditto for Zoo Tycoon) and greatly preferred the 2D isometric layout of the original RCT. 3D graphics for top-down games really sucked back then. Flash forward twelve years and we have Planet Coaster, which looks amazingly good.

I haven’t made up my mind about Parkitect. I’m not a huge fan of the art direction in that game but maybe it would grow on me?

I could easily purchase all three of these games, but I have time to play less than one. I just want to know which one is worthwhile, if any at this point. If it’s like RCT3 only better, as someone who liked RCT3… this sounds like my game. I can always check out RCTW and Parkitect down the road when they are ready for consumption.