Planet Coaster - Rollercoaster Tycoon with Frontier Development

That’s great news. I want Frontier to keep updating this game and cranking out DLC forever.

Free Holiday Update coming soon.

https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/17308-Planet-Coaster-Holiday-Update

Will have at least one new flat ride.

I blame @Nesrie for me wanting there to be more park maintenance now. Grass mowing, flower watering. Also why is there no park security?

What good are park maintenance workers who don’t mow grass or water flowers!.. even if i promptly pulled them all off those tasks as soon as trash and puke covered paths every where.

There needs to be a way to batch salary changes and training for staff. Doing each staff person one at a time is not fun.

A tip for people who, like me, are not great at coaster design.

While playing the second scenario, take the coaster from the first scenario (The High Seas) and edit it by chopping off one end and adding more drops/airtime to meet the scenario goals.

This is of course easier than building a coaster from scratch … but more importantly, I learned more about how to use the coaster editor by tinkering with something that already worked than I did by spending forever trying to make an original coaster that just made people barf. (More tips: side-to-side motion is the enemy, and the smooth tool is your friend.)

After drooling over videos for two solid weeks I decided I could not hold out until Christmas to buy this. So I bought this after lunch time yesterday and when I looked up it was midnight…

It is not perfect. It crashed on me four different times. The management tools are not robust. Figuring out how to build something is much more difficult than in The Sims. I can not seem to win the third scenario because I stink. I have yet to build a coaster I am proud of either but I will get better.

Those warts aside this is a remarkable game. It is delightful in a way that the very first RCT was delightful. I spent hours just following attendees in the park, watching how their expressions mirrored their needs and giggled when they were happy. While the first few scenarios have only a handful of coasters and rides I did not feel limited in my choices. Of course then there is the powerful and complex creation tool and once I figure out how to actually work it I think there probably is no limit on what I can create. I am going to have to sit through some YouTube tutorials on that.

Smartly they kept the cost of scenery any land formation cheap to encourage imagination. So unlike some other games in this series theming your park does not break the bank. I think Frontier knew the strong part of this game was the exceptionally powerful creative tools for a player to use so they kept the scenery and terraforming tools cheap. So if a player wants to focus on those areas then this is one of the best games ever made. If someone is looking for more of a business simulator I think they would be disappointed. I personally can not wait to dive back into it tonight.

If you have animatronics which play music (the pirate band especially), some guests will do a little skipping dance as they go past.

I recommend Geekism’s YouTube tutorials – they’re clear and well thought-out. And unlike so may YouTubers, the presenter talks like a normal, well-adjusted adult.

Thank you AWS260.

If you are working for that silver coaster that has to be 5 excitement and 5 nausea… that thing kept me remaking ALOT Of coasters. I made a simple mistake… I was making a couple coasters on the modified blueprint coasters and kept wondering why it wouldnt win… then I made it solo and voila i won the scenario… that is IF this is the scenario you are having problems with.

Also with that scenario I learned that keeping excitement high and nausea and fear within 5 are important… most sims in the game do NOT want to ride a coaster with high fear/nausea. 5 is the threshold. Also you will find that smoothing turns and slowing down the coaster will keep those down.

ALSO, a big thing, there is a button where you can have the coaster mold the terrain as you build… this is HUGE since sometimes you need a few feet below surface level and its a pain to have to go to the terrain edit… this allows the game to do it automatically.

The game is almost a near perfect version of RCT3.

I just can not make the $4,000 per month that is required to gold the scenario. I am working on it though.

I reworked some coasters and made it quickly tonight. It is difficult to describe how much fun this game is. I started playing a new scenario and I imagine I spent 30 minutes working up the landscaping for just one ride. It is just so much fun to design something, see the real fruits of your efforts and watch the virtual people react to your design.

Free winter update is live. Adds a few new rides (bumper cars!), new shops, Arctic biome, Christmas themes, staff and vendor list views, ride reputation decay, loads of bug fixes, etc. Looks like a pretty substantial update.

Build notes

Wow this patch is huge and looks awesome! I wish it had something on performance. Performance is a little weird on my system.

Thats basically why the game rocks. The design tools are really easy to use and doesnt take much time to get used to, especially on making coasters. I get why people don’t like the ‘economy’ strategy side of the game, its a bit barebones, but it does its job. This games alot like Cities Skylines, its an openworld sandbox game where you design and build to the best of your ability.

I’m actually having a really hard time designing stuff. One of my major issues is trying to place ivy on walls of buildings. It defaults to flat to ground even though most of it was designed for walls. And then I spend 5-10 minutes fiddling with each piece trying to paste it flush to the wall of the building and it still isn’t right.

Can anyone help? If I can do this faster/better I will like the game a lot more.

Have you been using the x and z keys to when you select the ivy? itll allow rotation and movement on the xyz axis.

also this is a video that i found on youtube for creating stuff.

Once you’ve disabled snap to surface and done the x/z key fancy rotations on one, you can duplicate objects with Ctrl-D and they’ll maintain the orientation of the one you just placed.

Another question. Is there a way to automatically match a previous path’s width?