Planet Coaster - Rollercoaster Tycoon with Frontier Development

…and yet another question on top of the last one - is there a limit on the number of trash cans and benches you can place? I’m in the Good Gully Miss Molly scenario and can’t place anymore.

Will continue talking to myself lol. Trying to prepare for all the kids to be over as they will want a lot of time in the game and figured I better learn how to make stuff. Here is my very first building. Generic food and drink (didn’t have burgers in the scenario I’m playing hence ice cream and milkshake for food and drink respectively. I made it big enough so heopfully I can fit benches and stuff inside. Looks like I need more lights in there though.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=822451671

Nice looking shop!

@jpinard
(test)

You keep asking questions that I have no answer to either! :)

That’s really nice looking. Is the whole world just flat green like that? For some reason I was expecting texture in the landscape.

It’s the scenario. I picked the flattest spot I could find to build the pseudo-restaurant. Thanks for the compliments!

I made some simple ‘Calvin’ snowmen.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198001388466/myworkshopfiles/?appid=493340

That is Awesome!

Brilliant! Subscribed!

not automatically but with the path icon selected there is a gear on top where you can adjust the width of the path.

Really geeky breakdown into the crowd flow algorithm.

Frontier trading update:[quote]The launch received a positive reception from gamers and reviewers and by the end of December over 0.5 million paid units had been sold. [/quote]

I hope it keeps selling. I honestly expected those numbers to be ~2 million.

Cities: Skylines eventually hit 3 million units sold, but that was after some deep discounts and word of mouth. Say what you will about Skylines, but that had some incredible grassroots marketing with everyone comparing it to SimCity 2013.

Planet Coaster oddly didn’t have a lot of buzz around it outside of the hardcore park sim crowd.

That buzz hasn’t been 100% positive, and they didn’t position themselves directly in the path of angry Sim City players… as basically offering everything Sim City didn’t.

Yes, that’s a good point.

It’s weird because to me the situations are really similar.

Official license-holder/publisher makes a game that pisses off fans of the genre. Indie group swings in with alternate game that looks to be much better and hearkens back to older sensibilities. The indie game launches and leans heavily into being a creative sandbox rather than a crunchy sim.

I’m a big theme park sim fan myself. I haven’t purchased it because I am not sure where they are in their DLC stance, but mostly I was hoping to business side might beef up a bit more from what I heard it was. I didn’t spend 90% or my Theme Park and Rollercoaster Tycoon days building coasters or even playing with park decor… it was a little more than that.

Looking at SteamSpy numbers (and assuming Steam is the vast majority of sales, which might not be right), a grand total of 1 full price game sold more than 2m units in 2016.

If Planetcoaster has a long tail (and its the kind of game that should do) without them discounting too deeply, I should think it would do very well for them.

The falling pound doesn’t hurt :)

I’m happy with my progress on Volcano Bay, my pirate-themed park, but I don’t have nearly the kind of patience for creative tools I would need for something like this masterpiece.

That’s pretty amazing. The joy of building a coaster without actually worrying about physical space.