Planet Coaster - Rollercoaster Tycoon with Frontier Development

More exciting than Covenant.

I think I prefer, as a rollercoaster and as a piece of fan service, the famous Star Destroyer one, but this is certainly a more impressive achievement

That was, hands down, the most amazing thing I have seen in quite some time. The effort put into creating that must have been insane.

And this is so, so true.

New Frontier financials:

I would have thought Planet Coaster would have sold more copies than that. But still it’s good they eclipsed the 1 mil mark.

I remember passing on this when it first came out. I recently picked it up, and while I enjoy it, there is something just a tad bit about that I feel is lacking. It’s still the best attempt for years, very close.

The “game” part of Planet Coaster just isn’t that compelling. Like Cities: Skylines, it’s a wonderfully creative sandbox design toy, but the actual challenge of running a theme park is zilch.

It’s great for tooling around and sculpting a crackerjack of an amusement park, but the business almost manages itself no matter the setup. I love messing with it, and I’m glad Frontier made it, but I really hope they build a better game next time.

Yep. And while I enjoy tinkering with track rides and coasters and some scenery, I don’t want to spend an hour making a fancy bathroom. I miss getting like happy little people cheering coming off my coasters and VIPs and a stream of peeps piling into a pool.

Holy cow, this a million billion times. My nieces and nephew and I loved playing RCT3 because you make stuff quick and easy.

Same with me too. I don’t feel the urge to play it. And I only played the first scenario. I just didn’t feel as connected with the park and people. It’s a shame as it’s beautiful.

Oh God yes this. I switched to Parkitect. Far more fun.

I am still kind of enjoying this game, but last night I ran into a surprising number of bugs. The collision logic seems complete off from the visual in some cases, like star cases gusts can’t walk down for no apparent reason, a ride blocking a que even though the two completed independently.

I created so many blue prints, just so I can drop down a cheap toilet, a burger stand or gulpee. I mean, I really like the 5k fantasy castle drink stands, but they’re pretty impractical outside of sandbox, no matter how pretty they are. I am super annoyed that the blue prints easily mix and match themes but they don’t really tell you which one, so it’s kind of a crapshot to open them in career mode… which means I spend another hour creating another one from scratch using the themes I do have.

I love the music though, very visually appealing too.

So no shuttle mode on the transports, and I think there are only three of them. Tunneling for paths is kind of a pain and it feels like a number of the Career scenarios are designed in a way where you are supposed to do certain things in a certain place in order to succeed. The collision checks are definitely off from what you visually see which presents as a bug even though I know what it is.

I still enjoy the game, but it does feel like it’s a step back in several areas from where RCT3 left off even if it is a leap forward in terms of appearance.

So this is on sale for $12. The sentiment here seems pretty “meh.” Is it worth $12?

Do you like building theme parks? Do you like adjusting and modeling rollercoasters? Like, a lot? Then $12 is definitely worth it. The game is probably the best amusement park freeform sandbox ever.

If you’re looking for business stuff, more on the “tycoon” side, then maybe not.

It’s not a good tycoon game but look on YouTube for some fantastic park creations. I have plenty of tycoon games so I’m quite happy with it.

I was a big fan of RCT 1 and 2 but never got into 3 and it’s been a long time since I played them. I guess I’ll hold off for now. I’m sure it will go on sale again soon.

It’s worth $12.

I paid about 11. I get frustrated sometimes (there’s some messed up pathing), and surprising short-coming but there is fun to be had.

“Studios Pack” DLC announced. $10.99 on March 27th. Rides, scenery bits, etc all based on a Universal Tours style theme.

Everyone will get a free update around then that adds hotels for guests, underground pathing, and player triggered day/night.