Planet Coaster - Rollercoaster Tycoon with Frontier Development

I saw a video of Sips playing an early build of the game (maybe “playing” is too strong a word… he mostly tries to figure out how to do stuff) and it looks great. I mean, “let me play it now!” great. Granted, it was clearly not finished, as a number of the options and rides were not implemented. So I went to the web page to find out more about the release date, etc. And found out you can preorder and play the “early alpha” right now… for $75! Is that going to be the game’s price, or is that some sort of “pay extra for early access” price? Because that seems pretty expensive for the base game.

It’s an inflated price for early access. Frontier says it will go down for release.

The website says £20 at release, which is much cheaper than I expected. After hearing the early buzz I’m super tempted to dive into the early access, but frankly without VR support (or for that matter a PC headset), I’m much more interested in the management sim side than the ride design, and from what I understand that layer is almost non-existent at this point.

Community creations video: https://youtu.be/8DZN2-fybis

That looks amazing. There’s going to be a way to download templates right? No way I can make those.

You can almost hear the mic drop at the end of that video.

Damn that video was just too good. I am pretty sure every time someone posts something from Planet Coaster, a Rollercoaster Tycoon World developer dies.

This one might kill ALL The RCTW devs.

I normally would balk at even thinking of paying $75 for early access to something in alpha, but this one is DAMN tempting.

I can only imagine who down voted that. It looks pretty darn amazing, theme, ability of the tools, and this is just Alpha right?

This will be a license to print money for frontier.

I choked on my drink and it came out my nose when I read your comment! :)

Holy cow that’s an amazing rollercoaster. I can’t fathom being able to create that myself. So it’s both quite impressive and a little bit depressing!

Yeah, I have it, but am a bit daunted by the sheer volume of possibilities, so have held off doing anything, in awe and overwhelmenedness, if thats a word.

Frontier:

Feedback to date has been very positive, with a total of over £1 million in customer receipts for the Alpha version and pre-orders. The Group has also announced the date of the Alpha 2 release of 24 May 2016.

It probably deserves its own thread but Parkitect was released today in Early Access to some quite positive reviews.

In looking at some video footage last night comparing the three - Parkitech / Planet Coaster / RTCW - I have to say I’m just going to sit and wait for PC to finish development and pick that one up. The amount of customization combined with a clean UI and ability to quickly and easily manipulate objects makes me feel as if this is the new direction for roller coaster type games.

I happened across two videos by Petard that I did enjoy. It shows Petard using some of the building tools.

I’m just hoping they still keep the business sim part of it, the game. I understand the want and love to tinker and build , but I enjoyed the scenarios, the challenge of building a huge rollercoaser and hoping my marketing campaign would drive the kids in before the next bill due date.

I would be shocked if they didn’t also have that component. I personally didn’t like the free play - I really enjoyed the campaigns.
Bringing a part around from disaster. etc…

I hope they do but there’s been zero conversation about it as far as I can say. I never did Sandbox except sometime to build a coaster to save for later, but most the time I wanted my coaster to match the map of the scenario i was in.