Planet Zoo from Frontier Developments

Gameplay demonstration:

It looks great to me, I really hope they manage to pull off the animal/guest management and challenge aspects to the game. Speaking of strange oversights, like the fact the crocodiles don’t have scaly heads, why are the giraffes licking their lips every 2 seconds?

Wait a minute, you mean your forum avatar is a realistic representation of a croc you have encountered? :D

Don’t contradict the chainsaw-wielding crocodile, LK.

wait what you’re a zoologist!! coolest job ever! do you get to pet pandas?

If by “pandas” you mean low, scaly, amphibious reptiles with rows of gigantic teeth, then yes!

At this point I’m just happy to see a new game available on Steam!

I have fond memories of the old top-down Zoo Tycoon games. This one is tempting.

History has shown it is not too late for a developer to drop a game from steam!

The gamescom reveals look great. I love the franchise mode that will be in the game, it sounds like you can build multiple zoos that exist in the same ‘world’ and can trade animals with each other to genetic diversity and so on. I have preordered the deluxe edition and will get access to the beta in about a month, will post impressions then.

Wow, that’s very appealing, and gives me some faint hope that there might be some substance to the simulation after all. Frontier’s been disappointing on that front, of late, and I really want this to be good.

On the other hand, Sim City 2013.

I support this position and general life choice. This is a proven method for success.

Some details on the franchise mode:

God dammit.

Except this sounds… really cool. If they’ve gone down to the need genetic diversity, stop inbreeding all your animals approach, pretty nifty.

I hope I’m wrong, but I’m half expecting an announcement that we’ll be able to buy conservation credits in the cash shop next.

That was my first thought too when I read about this “other” currency. They’re not known for this sort of thing, yet, so I am hoping it’s more like Two Point Hospital (not their game)… where you have this global currency you can use at any hospital which is separate from the cash you actually use when building and playing generally… only they have an online community in the mix.

Frontier likes to sell DLC, themes and packs. They haven’t really done the cash shop thing yet.

To be fair, it’s just like real zoos. If they drop internet connection for even a second the animals just stop what they’re doing.

Elsewhere in the article they talk about earning credits from in-game objectives/quests. To me it reads like gold and xp in a rpg game.

This was my first thought as well. Dangerous ground. I just hope this isn’t another stupid pretty game with no strategy, challenge, or ya know… game.

Geez, large publishers really have wrecked us. We can’t even hear the phrase “conservation credits” without fearing the worst!

Well played, sir.

Hopefully that’s all it is - as Nesrie noted they don’t have a history of this sort of thing, at least.

When I saw there were several replies to that post, I figured they’d be a bunch of people telling me to shut up and stop being so cynical. Instead, it was a bunch of people agreeing with me. Dark, man.