Planetfall: Jewal Gruvich and the Virginia Cull

Title Planetfall: Jewal Gruvich and the Virginia Cull
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Game diaries
When March 4, 2021

In the years since Civilization VI was released by Firaxis, you could say it's gotten a ton of post-release support. If you consider "support" adding stuff rather than fixing things that don't work. The process has been fascinating..

Read the full article

Yet another in a long string of disappointment clicks as I am reminded that oh yeah, there’s another game called Planetfall.

Delighted you’re doing this series, Tom. A game I always intended to return to, and just did a few days ago. Great timing.

It’s been a year since I last played it. Now I have a reason to reinstall.

I haven’t paid any attention to the DLC that’s been released. Is there anything considered essential?

The Star Kings DLC adds the excellent Galactic Empire mode that Tom just wrote about. I’m all in for all the variety that comes with the DLCs, but idk if I’d call the “essential.”

I’m confused. As per Tom:

"Planetfall was given a free update last November that introduced Galactic Empire mode. ".

You do NOT need Star Kings to play the Galactic Empire mode. The updates are named after dinosaurs for some reason, and Galactic Empire mode was part of the free Triceratops update. However, since it was concurrent with the release of Star Kings, I can understand the confusion.

But to reiterate, the Galactic Empire mode is part of the core game, and you don’t have to pay extra to get it. Hence the jab at Civ 6: 4X Goat Simulator in my write-up.

-Tom

Whoops! Yep, it came out as a free patch alongside that DLC, my bad.

Whatevs. Planetfall is great and I endorse all of it ;)

I was ready to buy Planetfall for PC, was checking GOG, huge sale, wow, 75% off. I checked Steam, and wow, I already own Planetfall. I think it was a humble choice… I think I should get started now already!

“Floyd here now!”

Floyd produces a crayon from one of his compartments and scrawls his name on the wall.

@Enidigm get in here! Your comment is now part of Tom’s legend!

So, the base game is your typical single-planet 4x right?

Next time it goes on sale I am going to get it.

Correct. In that it’s all planetside action. There’s not really any space component. JUST LIKE DUNE!

-Tom

Ok. Next sale I am getting it. I’ve been skirting the edge of it.

As someone who has played a lot of Civ VI over the years and have had a blast playing with friends and family during the pandemic, I guess I can see what you’re saying but I suppose I’m also that target audience you’re referring to.

As for Planetfall, it took me a while to get into it but when it finally clicked for me it was a very rewarding experience. I haven’t really scratched the surface of the Galactic Empire mode but I look forward to reading your diary!

what are you talking about, it is 75% off on GOG. Get it! Oh, you mean the next sale? Why not this sale?

Next Steam Sale. I pretty much have everything on Steam.

ah, that’s right. No Steam activation, only the DRM free version.

I am shocked Jewel doesn’t have an upgraded sniper rifle yet…:P

stop gear shaming plz