Planetfall: the death of trust

+1. This is just one thing that Tom knows about. And that the developer knew about 5 months ago. How many other critical flaws in this mind-boggling boondoggle of a game DON’T we know about? Hard to know, since the rules and details are so overwhelming that they’re uncomprehendable in their entirety.

Someone has a pre-existing grudge.

Glad you didn’t see any flaws in my points.

I would like to thank you for starting my day off with a chuckle upon reading:

“You’re not going to be playing many games if you demand working victory conditions in your strategy titles!”

Infinitely more entertaining than butting one’s head against non-existent psi-fish for hours.

Again, not what this is. Galactic Empire mode is one of those “doo dads” you profess to hate, an additional mode secondary to the main game. The victory condition in question is not a victory condition in the overwhelming majority of Planetfall games, it only comes up as a bonus victory condition in a small fraction of maps in this one mode, and is then broken in a fraction of those instances.

I’m not suggesting it isn’t a problem, but I don’t think you have a correct grasp on the scale and frequency of the issue here. Is it annoying? Yes. Gamebreaking? Hardly.

4x games have always sucked, you are all insane.

opinions that are eXtreme! eXacerbating! eXscriptural and eXtenuating!

I confess I had to look up eXscriptural - and very nicely done, sir ;D

I was a bit in the meh territory about the issue on my first read - mainly because I was very disappointed already by the non existent world war last week, that entry reminded me of my own disappointment, over and over when I was trying to replay HoMM 4 while forgetting why it sucked.
But damn, thinking about it, this is a terrible mistake. I think justaguy2 is a bit overdramatic in the way he expresses it, but I come out of this sharing his feeling: how am i supposed to trust the game when it broke the basis of our relationship in such a way. It’s defintely a game I won’t launch, just like I wouldn’t launch a game which failed to save reliably.

it may not be gamebreaking, but it is heartbreaking to me, and that may be even worse.

That’s your mistake, dude: playing HoMM4

(or really anything beyond 3)

(but especially 4)

You can.

Do we actually know this for sure, or is this just conjecture?

Well I don’t see this as a critical flaw, so if this is the worst example then the answer to your question is…none I guess!

Unless you want to talk about the lack of pre existing independent cities, which I think is a flaw lol.

Indeed, % within %.

Annoying though for sure.

Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater. My goodness, the hyperbole in this diary and thread.

I mean, video games. Not interested, don’t play it, sure, obviously. But “Triumph is a garbage company and I’ll never trust these lazy devs again because they didn’t fix the one corner case bug that I noticed” is, well, it’s definitely a take.

Hi all apologies for this bug remaining unfixed!

It sucks to waste time on such a broken objective as a player.

We’re investigating why this got left behind; likely a prioritization mistake made it fly below the radar in the database. The Planetfall team dropped updates in the meantime; its not for lack of commitment or willingness

also: this free galactic empire mode is a labor of love from a couple of individual team members! - they had been really enjoying your journal @tomchick :D

It will be fixed in the upcoming update this Spring! (exact time tbd)

Fwiw I can understand the frustration, but I also don’t think it’s quite the level of fail as @tomchick does.

I had one game where I got rushed by marauders and RPR units and there was really no way I could have won that.

I was outnumbered from like turn 3, and had inferior units.

I was Dvar iirc and having (iirc) 6 trenchers, a hero, leader and a foreman was never going to help against 3 stacks attacking on the same turn.

I would have rage quit but the game beat me too quickly.

Anyway, if it is indeed a one line (and moddable) fix, I’d be happy to have a go at fixing it this weekend.

I agree: not only 4x games, but opinions suck too!

Good news, Lennart. Thanks for dropping by to check, we appreciate it.

Excommunicating Triumph over a non-breaking secondary objective/map-gen bug is the Civilization VI of opinions, good point.

Thanks Lennart, that’s great news and much appreciated. Those guys that worked on the Empire mode nailed it, far as I’m concerned.

I’m Team Adam on this one.

I also had to look it up :O

I’m kind of bummed about this. I was enjoying the diaries and, as I mentioned in the comments to a different one, was going to use this as an excuse to reinstall and take another run at this game. I still intend to do that because, bugs aside, PF seems like a game that has all the ingredients of a game I’d love.

I don’t doubt that what Tom says is accurate - that this is a bug that was reported 5 months ago and it seems like a quick fix. I also know as a person with a job that entails a certain amount of leadership and responsibility, things sometimes get overlooked. I don’t know if this is a bug that has been repeatedly reported and ignored or, more likely, should have been on someone’s to-do list and got forgotten about. I know there’s probably stuff that I promised my boss five months ago that if he asked me about today, I’d have to admit that I forgot about it, but I’d make it a priority and get it done as quick as I can. This seems to me to be what happened, no more and no less.

I think the attitude of “This company has lost my trust” is a little over the top. I don’t doubt that this was frustrating and annoying, and I get why Tom wrote this diary probably in anger, but I also know how I’d feel if I thought I had lost the confidence of my employer over what appears to be a rather mundane fuckup.

I totally get why this may have slipped through the cracks or wasn’t bumped high enough on a priority queue to make the cut on the patches since it was reported. It’s not a major issue like a crash and it doesn’t sound like it’s a game-stopper since this is a secondary objective of I understand it correctly?

Quick fix or no, when you have thousands of bugs and improvement requests sitting in your queue and you’re trying to figure out which tiny fraction of those will get time? It’s tough and you’re always going to be leaving someone unhappy. I deal with this a lot in our own software. And that’s just prioritization, not something unintentionally slipping though the cracks. Maybe it was going to be part of a larger overhaul in that area that ended up getting scrapped or put on hold, so the fix for that particular issue is in limbo or in the developer’s mind it was fixed and forgotten about.

Not to say that the reality of that should make someone feel any less frustrated that they wasted time chasing something busted. Time is my most precious resource and I get pretty damn cranky when a game/bug makes me waste it so I totally understand that side of the equation as well.