Planetside Arena by Daybreak Games

Planetsidearena.com

Plunge into PlanetSide Arena and battle online in this massive multiplayer sci-fi arena shooter. Choose your class, fuel your jetpack, and drop into the fray on the war-torn landscape of Auraxis starting January 29, 2019.

All pre-order editions of PlanetSide Arena come with Battle Pass Season 1, which includes additional weapon types, armor sets, and blueprints to customize your playstyle. Season 1 blasts off with two major game modes:

• Massive Clash (250 vs. 250 group battle)

• Battle Royale (Solos and Teams of 3)

If you want to come out on top, you’ll have to go all in to rule the Arena.

I’ve put thousands of hours into Planetside 2, so I’ll be paying attention to this as its release date nears.

Hahahaha. Of course it’s a Battle Royale.

This thing is going to flop so hard.

I’m not against a good battle royale. I’ve yet to see it being done really well, and that includes the trash that is Fortnite.

I thought Planetsides 1 and 2 were Battles Royale. Though I guess they focused on teamwork and three sides, not who was the best MAX pilot on the planet.

Official release date has been pushed back to March 26th from Jan 29th.
They’ve scheduled a closed beta to start on Jan 30th.
And early access begins for pre-order customers on Feb 20th.

Lots more words about this at the following link.

https://www.planetsidearena.com/news/planetside-arena-development-letter-launch-closed-beta-founders-season

LAUNCH UPDATE

As some of you may know, we’ve been playtesting PlanetSide Arena with a small core group of players from our community for several months now. Our intention with these playtests was to slowly expand the group as we build toward our first true Beta. During that time, our Dev team has been working diligently to implement everything we’ve learned from those playtests so that when released, the game will meet all of your expectations.

What we’ve discovered during playtesting is that while we’ve made significant strides towards that goal, there are crucial feature enhancements and core systems improvements we can make that will lift PlanetSide Arena to the level it deserves. This game is a passion project for our team, with massive potential to occupy a unique space within the PlanetSide series and the overall shooter genre. And while we agonized about this decision down to the deadline, we ultimately decided taking extra time to supplement our feature set, fully optimize engine performance, and improve server infrastructure was absolutely necessary to deliver the quality, polished game the PlanetSide community deserves.

That’s why today we’re announcing that PlanetSide Arena will now launch on March 26, 2019 . Along with our new date announcement, we’re also introducing an exclusive Founders Season to get our most dedicated fans in before launch (more details below). We know the delay will be frustrating to some, but we believe this game will be truly special, and we’re willing to do whatever it takes to fulfill your – and our – lofty expectations.

Thank you for your patience. We promise it’ll be worth it.

I loved Planetside and Planetside 2. There was nothing quite like the feeling of fighting side by side with your squad, which in turn was part of a larger outfit, which in turn was part of a huge faction, in a huge 100+ person battles for some tower, station or territory. When you were part of a good outfit fighting coordinated battles, it made all the difference in the world to how much fun you could have.

What scares me about PS Arena is that Battle Royale is NOT conducive to the ideals that made PS1 and PS2 so amazing. There won’t be that feeling of ebb and flow in the greater conflict, that taking this one tower or station could turn the tide for your faction on the planet. Instead of small unit tactics and coordination winning the day, it’s a free for all where you’re just as likely to get ganked by dude in the same color armor as you as you are by the “enemy”, because in the end everyone is the enemy in Battle Royale.

@kerzain its early access launch day! Free to Play! And… They have around 1500 players so far.

https://steamcharts.com/app/987350

When I told my wife about this game, noting my interest, she decided I shouldn’t play this game because I used to become a cranky ragemonster in Planetside several years ago (fucking heavies). So I’ll be giving this one a pass because I’m totally whipped.

As far as I know there are no other games on the no-fly list. But I’ll just watch this one from the sidelines (apparently like the rest of the world, given those launch numbers).

169 concurrent players now. Did I already miss my chance to try it out?