PlanetSide Beta Sign-Up

They’re accepting more applications

http://planetside.station.sony.com/news_story.jsp?story=54348

Color me… excited.

I predict this game is going to suck so damn much. I’ll admit, it’s partially because they lied to us in those screenshots from two years ago.

Isn’t BF42 already out? Come to think of it… Halo and Tribes and whatever. Who needs Planetside with its pay to play monthly charge? A shooter mmrpg… please… its like a RTS mmrpg… who cares. Money milking bastards!

etc

Hear, hear! :D

This is the question. Will the persistent elements in the game make it worthwhile to pay a monthly fee? You can improve your character, which is something you can’t do the games you mentioned.

I had read somehwere that they were adding some role-playing elements to the game, but i’m not exactly sure what those elements relate to…

I really wonder what the performance will be like in battles with 200+ players.

This game would be cool if it was good.

etc

You’re supposed to be able to get an apartment, buy character enhancing implants, etc. The problem is that a shooter needs something close to a level playing field for the players because they want skill to rule the day, not character level. This runs counter to the typical RPG character building where your character continually ramps un in power.

It’s all a mystery to me though. I haven’t read much about the game for quite some time. I’m certainly interested in playing it, but who knows how long that interest will last? I loved Tribes but I only played it for 3-4 months, and it was free.

I just signed up for the open beta, so hopefully I’ll get picked. I have a beefy system w/ 512 ddr and a cable modem so my chances are pretty good.

About paying to play… I don’t mind paying a $12 monthly fee, because I know that I’ll get full support for the game and IMO since players are paying that montly fee I’ll finally be in a game that has people actually playing like a team!

And that’s my point… You guys keep saying that bf1942 and Tribes 2 will give you the same type of cooperative gameplay. And it’s free. We’ll I say bullshit!! If bf1942 has cooperative play why is the game infested with team killers and people that do what ever they want. Such as wait in line for a damn plane when your base is being taken over.

At least w/ Planetside, since the players are paying a monthly fee cooperative play will be more likely. Team killers will probably be non existent, because they will get there asses banned. And the different roles such as Medic and Engineer will be filled by people that want to actually role play. Have you ever played a medic in bf1942? It sucks!! People run away from you when your trying to heal them. No one listens to you when you try and tell them to wait while you attend to their wounds.

I’m excited about Planetside… :)

I agree with AIM, but another big point in PS’s favor is the persistence of the world (rather than your character). I like BF1942, but I think PS might offer a different experience because it’s not just a skirmish battle. It’s a war. It would be like playing BF1942 but having it really matter if your team takes over Wake, rather than having that just be the end of the game.

In response to Mark’s concern, my understanding is that the RPG upgrades do not make your in-game character more skilled, but they basically unlock additional equipment. That equipment DOES make you more deadly, but that’s the way it’s supposed to be. For example, BF1942 does not have a level playing field, because some people are in tanks or planes and some are on foot. (There are advantages and disadvantages to each, but being in the tank or plane is overall much better.) So I imagine PS will be like BF1942 except that you can’t get in a tank or a plane until you’re “higher level,” so to speak.

Will it work, and be worth paying for? I have no idea. But I think it COULD work, so I’m excited to see what it looks like. I’ll probably wait for some initial impressions from other guinea pigs, but if it starts getting favorable buzz in the first 7-14 days I’m sure I’ll buy it and try it myself.

“At least w/ Planetside, since the players are paying a monthly fee cooperative play will be more likely. Team killers will probably be non existent, because they will get there asses banned. And the different roles such as Medic and Engineer will be filled by people that want to actually role play. Have you ever played a medic in bf1942? It sucks!! People run away from you when your trying to heal them. No one listens to you when you try and tell them to wait while you attend to their wounds.”

Why do you think team killers won’t exist in PS? Has SOE said they will be banned? My experience with the MMOGs is that jerks seem happy enough to pay monthly fees like the rest of us.

And do you really think PS is going to attract roleplayers? Those are in scarce supply in DAoC and EQ – not that I care.

From their FAQ they state their plan to award “grief” points which limit your effectiveness and eventually result in expulsion from the game. I question both whether this policy will be accurately enforced and whether it truly applies to customers or just their individual characters, which considering you don’t need to level to be powerful with, seems to just make it even easier to grief.

I think a good question is, what do you expect “cooperative play” to be like? I’d say somewhat cynically that it means for each person, “recognize that I’m right and do what I say because this is how the game should be played instead of having fun in your own way”. Even if you’re easygoing, I’m sure after you’ve played for a while, you have some idea of the “right” way to go about a battle. Sony even have command experience points to allow you to play a commander character. To me, that might work as a gameplay mechanic but I can bet it’s going to be as irritating as all get out about 50% of the time. Skill + play time <> thoughtful and not an asshole. There are just as many skilled, tactically knowledgeable controlling, puerile twat lords as there are skilled, tactically knowledgeable good natured guys just out to have fun in FPS games. I don’t care how many raids you led and won, I logged in to have fun and not be yelled at because my team isn’t skilled, or is showing their Dad how to play (Jessie, are you here? Jessie? Dad, where’d you go?), or just plain isn’t paying close attention.

No manner of policing (even should Sony want to police the way in which their paying customers have fun) is going to change that not everybody does what’s best for their team 100% of the time, even if everyone could agree on exactly what that best way was (which they do not), and had the skill and character upgrades to accomplish it (which they do or do not outside of your control). Some people would rather rack up sniper kills, or fly around doing loops in an air vehicle, or shoot their own teammates in the back with a character they made just for that purpose. Now add on to that Planetside’s twist, which is that some people will be most interested in advancing their characters regardless of what the battle outcomes are.

I’d say if you want cooperative play, first decide what that means to you, and then join a clan or find a dedicated server where people agree with your definition, because it’ll only be worse in a MMOG. IMO, and I’ll probably sign up for the beta so I can do more than guess, whether Planetside works or not will be in spite of teamplay issues, not because of them.

p.s. I don’t think Planetside will be that bad, and may even feel (at times) like the next evolution of FPS action - although Wumpus is dead on about the screenshot magic switcheroo graphics. But I think the positives they bring will have nearly as many negatives, and they’ll bring a price tag with them.

I signed up for the beta, and I am extremely interested in how they will deal with the griefers. We already see plenty of non-team behavior on BF1942 servers, so Sony has quite a chore ahead of themselves. If they plan on using players as mods in some fashion, that will cost them money (since that will make them employees IIRC), and moderating a public server is a significant task. When I have moderated on a 20-player public server, a bad night would find me spending 75% or more of my time moderating instead of playing.

Getting booted or penalized for TKing will be an interesting two-edged sword in a pay-to-play game. Many servers boot you after three unforgiven TKs, so what griefers do now is run into grenade blasts and lines of fire to force TKs by someone else, then refuse to forgive them. Usually you can just rejoin the server, but in a persistent universe how will the forced TKer be treated?

Getting booted or penalized for TKing will be an interesting two-edged sword in a pay-to-play game. Many servers boot you after three unforgiven TKs, so what griefers do now is run into grenade blasts and lines of fire to force TKs by someone else, then refuse to forgive them. Usually you can just rejoin the server, but in a persistent universe how will the forced TKer be treated?

Short answer: friendly fire has to be turned off permanently.

Well, that’s what EA did with their servers for 1942, but there are still enough ways to kill teammates even with FF off and of course then you have the “this isn’t realistic” dissenters. I think most complex infantry and vehicle combat FPSs will probably have the same kind of faults where players can make it hell for others without actually scoring a TK in their profile.

I too, wonder what the moderation will be like; perhaps more of a petition system rather than moderators actively watching the action. I doubt they’ll be too strict about TKs though; America’s Army started off with a very harsh ROE policy and ended up relaxing it quite a bit, presumably because it was too strict even for players who made honest mistakes (I remember lots of times I had to choose instantly between risking a ROE or possible death because it would take time to recognize whether a friend or foe just popped up in front of you). I’d think a MMOG that lives or dies on its subscriptions is going to be very wary about banning offenders.

I played on zillions of public counter-strike servers back in the day, and the difference between friendly fire on/off was huge. Sure, there can be annoyances with FF off (flashbanging your own team was popular), but those problems pale in comparison to the huge game-destroying problems you CAN have with it on. I agree, it’s more realistic and ultimately a better game-- but the major risks you run are ultimately not worth the minor benefits.

I always play on FF servers, but it is because I’m usually assaulting & not because it is more realistic. If you run into a group of the enemy, you can engage at close range to reduce the supporting fire from their teammates. With no FF, they can just blaze away into the melee without fear of hitting their teammates. Too hard to sow chaos and confusion that way.