Plants vs Zombies 2 isn't just a great game; it's a long overdue revolution

My God, I think I’m in love with this game.

I’ll probably try the demo myself.

I just played multiplayer today for the first time. Part of a special event where you get rainbow stars. SO FUN. SO CHAOTIC. I died a lot, but I actually got MVP for most revivals in one match. My god this is fun.

Ok, I’m not a big multiplayer gamer, so I never really gave this game a true shot. But I was at my niece’s birthday party yesterday, and my five year old nephew was playing this game, and I gotta say, it’s really impressive. First of all, it’s really impressive that they actually made a 3rd person shooter that honest-to-god doesn’t look objectionable at all to anyone.

Anyway, my nephew was playing as an Orange. He could turn into a ball and roll around all over the place, and he could come out of his ball form and put up a shield, or fire these ray guns at the enemy zombies. It was all very cute and looked like a lot of fun.

You are talking about Garden Warfare 2. :)
Which never got its own thread, and was just part of the original thread here:

I know. Take it up with Tom, who keeps getting the two names confused and was responsible for the original article this post is tied to. :) Believe me, he’s talking about Garden Warfare 2 in this thread from the OP, even though he says PvZ2.

I play PvZ2 literally every day. And this thread is not about that game.

(That other thread is about the first Garden Warfare).

I am so confused. :D

Looks like EA will have a reveal for the next installment tomorrow: Battle for Neighborville.

My son and I played a closed Beta/technical test about a month ago, but I don’t think I am allowed to say anything about it.

I can’t wait to find out how disappointed I will be.

Congratulations! You have won divedivedive’s Favorite Post of the Day!

aa0

Thank you. Thank you. First of all, I would like to thank the members of the media, especially the public television station in Ottawa, and the journalists there. In fact, I’d just like to thank all of the media involved in this whole thing. And I would like to thank the president of the Confederation of North American Industry, our chairman of the board of the CNE and some of our other sponsors, and I want to apologize for the whole thing because in fact this entire process ended in bad fashion, unfortunately, and that will happen because that’s how it’s always been in North America.

It’s very easy. I know it’s not easy when a large company, large corporation, like, say, Verizon, and they just get a hold of it. So, it was very unfortunate, and I apologize. But it is part of the problem. But for the most part, I really think the public, the media, the people in Canada, the people in the United States, all of the media was really fair to the process. The public had a right to know at the beginning of this process, and they are listening.

Wrong thread. Tom was talking about Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2, and he titled it wrong. The real PvZ2 thread was over here.

I’ve spent so much money on PvZ 2 at this point, I’m not even sure I want to transfer to another game. Each plant is $5 or more when they’re not on sale, and I think I own at least 10 of them now. But I did get some on sale, so I’m not sure if I spent close to $50 on the game quite yet.

This seems like the next installment of the Garden Warfare series so I think this is the correct thread, (or the best one available?).

Oh really? So they’re getting rid of the Garden Warfare name?

Seems like it; AND in a year when an actual Modern Warfare is releasing.

Looks like EA is pulling a Steve Jobs and letting you play this game today by getting the Founder’s Edition:

They did something similar with Anthem. Nothing spells fun like convoluted release schedules.

Garden Warfare 2 is a perennial favorite of mine. I’ve been eager for a sequel for a while now.

Apparently random card packs are out. We can’t have children gambling, after all. But…I’m going to miss them? I love the thrill of opening a blind pack and discovering if I unlocked something good, or something better.

What about now? Can you talk about the progression system? Entirely cosmetic, or do you earn gameplay items, too? Are bots available and extensively supported like in Garden Warfare 2? Can you still earn progression from bots matches? I still jump into GW2 bot matches from time to time to complete a few bounties and buy a few card packs. What a great feature.

That’s a good question, I wonder if the NDA no longer applies.

It was really hard to get a holistic view of the progression systems from the beta. I didn’t get a lot of time with it since it was limited to a few hours a day and each day featured different vertical slices of the game that weren’t really connected and heavily focused on PVP modes which I rarely played in Garden Warfare 2; save for the Town Hall special events.

Based on what I saw I think bot play will be supported and I would assume you can still earn experience and currency via that method (not 100% sure though). One day of the beta did include a social space area and a mostly PVE Neighborhood area similar to GW2 and my plants were earning experience and such while just wandering around getting into the odd scrap, and exploring alongside and against AI bots.

I wish I had better answers but the mostly disconnected vertical slices (and limited playtime) didn’t present me with a solid grasp of progression, unlocks, and meta game systems.

The moment to moment play was very fun and about on par with GW2. I do think PopCap will have some balancing work since in many of the PVP matches I played I saw a lot of repetition of class selection (such as a team of mostly Oranges all putting up shields). Though my experience was limited and anecdotal.