Play-along Dwarf Fortress tutorials - complete!

I will let you know. I am a bit of a stars slag, I must admit!

This is brilliant.

Here’s the question I have: I have a fortress where I’ve fought off goblin hordes, the King has moved in, we can afford everything we want, and I’m a bit … bored.

Is this basically what happens when you manage to avoid a Losing Is Fun scenario? Is there anything else in store?

No, so far thats pretty much it. You have to make your own game and there are very few long term goals and ways to actually influence the game world.
Such things are planned, but great features like you sending out armies to the world map have to compete with stuff like individually tracked blood stains for toady’s time.

Build a mega project!!

Or start getting creative with your fortress if you haven’t already. Remove any and all traps and make the military guard everything. Mod in the ability to train captured goblins, Mmm nothing says success like chained War Goblins at the entrance to your fort.

http://penny-arcade.com/2009/03/13/nature-man/
Bloody hell! I got linked from Penny Arcade!

I’ve changed the theme and made my own header title. It sucks ass. If you want to make a better one you get a big kiss from me. HALP, HALP!

Congrats dude! May your website be bountiful.

Wow, just saw the reference at PA. That’s freakin awesome.

Nice one, C. You’ll bring many a player into this game.

You’re talking about the image of the battleships and the terrible fonts, right? Yeah that needs to go. I can try to fix it up for you. If you have any ideas or other images you want to use, let me know and I could probably whip something up.

Yeah, the fonts in the banner aren’t anything to call home about. Also, it gives me the impression that your website is nautical themed.

I’ll ask my girlfriend to fix it up Calistas. I feel like I should be offering more, but school’s killing me.

Thanks for all the time and effort into doing this. My gaming time these days is extremely limited and for just that reason I have been very hesitant to give DF a try.

Thanks! And yes, my font is arse! 55,000 visitors so far. Might clear 60,000 before the end of the day.

Anyway, I would love to see anyone provide a new, wargamy/reportery themed heading. Anything at all would be great. Would also be good to have some suggestions on fonts for pictures I put in in AARs - suggested setting for easy reading would be good.

Thanks all :)

Very nice.

I’ve been tempted to try DF again but my eye doctor won’t let me.

I’m playing along with the tutorial (I’m just past the “homework”) and the game is so delightful underneath that torturous interface. What’s especially aggravating is that the interface is not only obtuse, but inconsistently so.

What’s really amazing is just how much stuff there is. I saw a weird red icon out in the forest and said “what’s that?” So I did the “k” to examine (wha??) and it was a pile of fire ants. Between the detail about your dwarfs and other people, what everything can be made out of, and more, it’s just this almost ridiculously robust little world-building simulation.

I can only imagine how well this game would sell if someone took every single function and detail, slapped it on some nice scalable and zoomable tile graphics with decent artwork, and built in full mouse control with heavy context menus and consistent clicking actions and keyboard shortcuts.

Nah dude, it’s much more important to have individually tracked teeth, so that the teeth can go on massive adventures of their own.

The funny thing is I actually looked that up – there are going to be individually tracked teeth! But are they going to be tracked outside the body? I couldn’t tell. Also this sounds awesome:

I made it a good way through tissue styling today. There’s an entity component in the raws and a creature component, so as long as a creature has a group of tissues tagged in a way that is recognized by a civilization, it can interact with that society’s style definitions. For example, if dwarves were administering some conquered humans, human children born there would adopt beards if they identify with the dwarven civilization as their primary group (something which will probably be a little too strict now, as there’s currently no notion of tribute or conquering that isn’t fairly total). Dwarven children kidnapped and incorporated into goblin society might sh… shave.

Awesome tutorial man.

I’ve always wanted the style of beards on my dwarfs to be modded, thank god Toady is addressing this vital concern! :D

And that they’ll adopt the customs of the race that adopts them! So you can get humans in dwarf settlements with big beards, and shock dwarves in goblin settlements that shave.

I just wish he left in the asymmetry, it sounded fun.

There was a dwarf with one eye bugged out and one eye sunken in with colorless irises and one quadrant worth of teeth ten times as long as the others and the nose shrunken down to nothing. He was also a little shorter than the average dwarf, and beardless, because it grew out those teeth instead.