Play ball! Out of the Park Baseball 23!

Yep, individual seasons. They may also have franchise disks to get multiple years of specific teams.

Yeah, it made no sense to me to try the electronic version because of that. OOTP with the database they use seems to make those historical replay games kind of obsolete. I’m not sure how much better apba , stratomatic, and the others do than OOTP for historical replay, but you get every season for the price of OOTP.

Yeah, Strat is not a good value. I just had a hankering for it due to nostalgia. I bought the 1978 season and maybe one other.

You all have convinced me. I’ll be taking the plunge this weekend. Steam has the current version for ~$35, and several older versions for $19. For a difference of $16, think I’ll go for the new version.

As for Strat, when you buy the game, you get to select 1 season (current or older, up to you) and then virtually all seasons are available, some with more degree of realism than others.

Thanks again.

The novel that anticipated baseball sim nerdom. A wonderful read in every respect.

Others have tried OOTP replications of the UBA over the years. Just a few:

This is the best:, by Questdog:
https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=227210 (planning thread)
https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=227295 (sim thread)

Most of the UBA attempts, as you see, peter out, but that’s true of most OOTP dynasty leagues. Good luck!

This is pretty true of every iteration of OOTP. I don’t care for their business model, and would buy every other year, or wait for season-end sales, were it not for my online league continually upgrading as soon as possible. That said, I always get my money’s worth out of each version even at full price, which is more than I can say about a lot of games.

I need to get back to reading that. I picked it up on the kindle at one point.

Is the babip rating change that they made only visible in PT? I fired up a quick historical game of the 1927 Yankees, and only saw the old batter ratings.

Edit: Looking at OOTP23 changes listed by Matt Arnold from OOTP it appears it is just visible in Perfect Team.

What is the change you’re talking about?

Side note: There is a bug in historical leagues with recalc on where the potential ratings for young players are super low. I only checked a handful of players but it happened to them all. Ron Guidry with a Control potential of around 13 and movement of around 35. Mattingly with crappy power and eye potentials.

This didn’t happen with recalc off and using the ootp player development engine.

The Contact rating in OOTP is a composite rating. I guess to help people in Perfect Team they have decided to make the BABIP rating visible, and then contact is shown indented under babip, power, avoid Ks since it is a mix of those.

This post has a picture of it: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showpost.php?p=4886394&postcount=3

@tylertoo poor Sixto had a rough patch after that first game.

Yes. I’m keeping him in to eat innings because we’re out of contention. And we have no one else. But it was nice while it lasted. For 7 innings.

Oh wow, Sixto’s story is heartwarming. I’m glad he’s still in the rotation. Maybe he’ll find his groove again.

@vyshka are you planning to play PT? I still haven’t bought OOTP23 yet, but I’m going to get it sooner or later….

I loved PT last year but I’m going to take at least a year off. I have too much on my plate right now and I don’t see my morning routine of waking up with OOTP as being something I can continue this summer.

I imagine I will create a team, but it will be a pretty casual run this edition. Unless they magically made it super easy to pull stats from tournaments, I don’t have the energy/desire to go through that again and seems to be by far the best way to compete if you aren’t dumping money into the game. Even if they did make it easy, I would probably still get burned out just from the constant stream of new cards that you are trying to grab to keep up.

I say all of that, and then next week I will luck into pulling a perfect Frisch again or something and dive back in. :)

I might take a stab at one lower league teams in the online league @tylertoo is playing in.

I hear ya on that, @Madmarcus.

PT is great and all, but there is something more satifsfying about an online league.I’m real tempted by @tylertoo 's league too, but I worry my interest would eventually falter, and I’d hate to let tylertoo down. I suppose that’s the point of the UMEBA, to see if people have the stick-to-it-iveness?

No, please don’t worry about that. Online leagues are definitely not for everyone, and the only way to really find out if its for you is to try it. Plenty of people sign up and don’t last long for various reasons. The UMEBA is very low pressure – some of the 10 teams are vacant so you’d get one right away. I coaxed a friend to join a season or so ago and he laid very low for a while, quietly learning things without interacting. He got a Brewster team (Rockville) after one season in the UMEBA and now is quiet active. But people (including me) understand if other newcomers poke around and then depart.

Thanks for that reassurance. I have played in one online league before, and I always got my uploads in on time, but the league folded. I’ll think on it!

If I wasn’t moving and then traveling this summer the UMEBA would sound pretty appealing and would almost be enough to get me to update. Maybe next year.

How much time is it a week to do an online league? Also do different time zones matter as I assume most players are from the states and canada and I live in the eastern europe time zone.

No idea as to the time involved, but I think time zone only would matter in relation to the deadline for exporting before the next sim period, and hopefully they would have the deadline set late enough to
where west coast people would have plenty of time that evening to do whatever they need to do and get the export completed.

Sure, let me know!

Time zones, as @vyshka said, do not matter, you just need to pay attention to the sim schedule and export your moves before. The league I’m in has a guy based now in Italy, and others on the west coast. It works fine.

In terms of how much time – it’s really up to you. Most leagues expect a certain level of participation. You should examine their requirements before signing up. But usually those requirements are minimal. My league has a minimal writing and exporting requirement that’s easy to reach, and incentives (participation points) for going beyond that. The points help you gain slight edges in various things (though nothing huge).

But at a bare minimum – I’d say a couple of hours a week. The thing is you grow very attached to your teams (including the farm system) so the issue can become spending too much time at the expense of your real life responsibilities. Not that that would ever happen to me lol.