Play by Forum: Hexplore It - The Sands of Shurax

Ah nice so I can buy the poultice after the battle but before the next Caravan Event? Just to mitigate the energy drain from the future Caravan Events.

Cheya slowly unwound the whip from her waist with a wry grin. “Whad’ya say this creaure here w’s called? Huh. I always thought that was one a’ them waddling swimbirds from the colder regions. This 'un here seems more like a pinecone with claws. And that tongue… well, my whip’ll be more’n a match fer that.”

Event is swapped for Boss 1: The Enormous Pangolin.

Round 1:
Declaration Phase:
Favored Opponent:
Akbar and Orion have Creature as a Favored Opponent.
Akbar rolls a d6: HEX. Explodes. Second d6: 1. Total: 7 Health damage or 14 Energy damage. 14 energy selected.
Orion rolls a d6. 2. Total: 2 Health or 4 Energy damage. 2 Health selected.

Cheya uses Leather Grip rank 5, which will deal 12 Health damage and cost 1 Energy. (I double checked and it looks like the opponent is not Gripped until you Sustain the effect, which doesn’t happen until next round. If you want to cancel even confronting the boss based on that understanding, we can do that but I think you’re okay.)
Akbar uses All Tied Up rank 5 for 2 energy, which will cause the boss to roll twice for their action and Akbar gets to pick one. Akbar may also reroll this result once for 1 additional energy.
Orion uses Mental Manifestation rank 5 for 5 Defend and reserves the right to use the Ironscale Potion.
Chimminy uses Whirling Blades rank 4 for 1 energy, dealing 7 damage and 7 damage, generating 2 Defend for spending energy.
Melhin the Hunter Attacks for 6 damage.

Opponent Phase
Enormous Pangolin rolls d6: 1: Sticky Tongue. Individual Target 4 Corrosive Health Damage, and Navigate check to avoid becoming Vulnerable.
Rolls a second time for All Tied Up: 3: Rolling Barrel. Group Health. Block 5. Each target suffers 3 damage. Targets who fail to deal damage this turn are Trapped.
Executive decision here: Selecting roll 2. Favored Opponent energy damage completely nukes the Pangolin’s energy so it can’t do Rolling Barrel, which costs 5. This means 3 is effectively 1, but at half strength. Don’t mind if you do.

Resolution:
Pangolin uses half-damage Sticky Tongue. Rolling to target:
Cheya: 5
Akbar: 3
Orion: 10
Chimminy: 7 ( 3 + 4 for being small)
Melhin: 1
Orion is Defending and takes 2 - 5 = 0 damage. Navigate check to avoid being Vulnerable: 7. Fail. (But vulnerable isn’t persistent.)
Pangolin is at 28 HP from Favored Opponent. Takes a further 12 + 7 + 7 + 6 for a total of 32 damage. Dead!

Rewards: everyone gets 3 gold and 8 food. Distributing the 3 food from Chimminy’s overspill evenly to everyone else.
Power Ups:
Cheya:

No mutations so an immediate +3 to Survival. Stash or play the +1 energy? @Matt_W
Akbar:

No mutations so immediate +2 to first and second masteries, +3 to Defend.
Orion:

Stash or play, @Thraeg?
Chimminy:

Stash or play, @ArmandoPenblade , keeping in mind you previously stashed a +1 Defend that you can include now?
Also, one person gets +3 max/current Energy, and one person gets an Ironscale Potion. (These can be randomly rolled for but you can optionally direct assign and I feel like that’s better in this case.) Who gets which? Can’t be the same person.

Next Caravan Event:

I have not yet updated secondary statistics based on new values, will wait on that based on Stash power up decisions.

Yay!

OK, I think this is ambiguous in the rules, but this interpretation makes sense.

Cheya will Stash this energy powerup.

I’ll argue for either me or Akbar getting the energy powerup because we both have energy intensive masteries, and the lowest energy levels. My racial ability also uses energy, and my trait benefits from spending it, so I’d be glad to take it. But Akbar only has 2 energy currently, so could use the boost. We should probably roll for it. OTOH, maybe give me the energy and Akbar the potion, since I have better offensive stats?

Looks like Chiminy is our best candidate to try to foil this, followed by Orion. Do they roll against current energy or max?

Max.

And I agree there’s ambiguity, but I think it’s fairly clear that you would not normally Sustain an effect until the turn after you activate it, and Leather Grip definitely specifies that Gripped takes effect when you Sustain it. Where I think the question lies is “can you deliberately pay to Sustain it on the same turn you use it so as to get Gripped immediately?” And I don’t see anything saying for sure, but the conclusion they came to on BGG was “no”. Which I think makes some sense. It didn’t really end up mattering ultimately in this fight, but that’s how I would rule going forwards.

Yeah, at first I thought I should be able to sustain immediately, but thinking about it more it makes the most sense the way you’re ruling.

You could still buy Poultices or Potions and use them out of combat to restore people’s energy before this event, btw.

Good point. I’d be willing to spend 3 of my gold on a Poultice to restore Akbar’s energy if I can get the energy reward from the Pangolin.

@malkav11, since you’ve played a bit more, could you give me any insight into how likely further Power Up cards are to show up as rewards during the remaining Caravan Events? Like is that a thing that never happens, is rare, or is semi-common? I’d like to keep my 3 Stashables, well, stashed until I get 4 or 5 total, but since we’re going straight from this to a city-state, where it’s very difficult to acquire Power Ups (basically requires a triple-crit roll on an Arena Occurence, I think), it might be a long time before we can get more, and I don’t wanna fall behind. . .

Anyway, I’m in for the stat test. If I understand correctly, it’s actually against current value, not total ranks, when rolling Stat Tests against Vitals specifically, unfortunately, but I’m glad to chance it, since we can buy some stuff afterward to get me back up on Energy. If it’s okay with the group, I’d like to use a re-roll from our floating sky-city if I roll a critical fail on it. If I’m within range of a Critical Success with my ability, I’ll go ahead and use it, as well (I realize it’s trading 3 energy to reduce Drain by 2 more, netting myself an overall loss, but the goal is to keep Melhin fully healthy, not to save my own sorry skin, so any reduction is good!).

I’m generally okay with rolling Single Rewards for maximum fair (but minimum efficiency), but note that if we choose to do so, RAW, all characters roll the target die, not just the subset of ones who want it most :). Otherwise, I’m also okay letting y’all decide who needs either of those Rewards most. Chimminy’s Energy rating is great as-is, though he’s always down for more, since my Racial is very Energy-intensive, but I won’t put my name in the hat if we’re not gonna do random assignment.

@malkav11 before we start tackling the Event, can you let me know my current Energy (you said some stats hadn’t been updated on the spreadsheet yet, so I wanna be sure I’m actually at 7/9)? If it’s down to 6, I’ll def buy a Poultice and apply it before making the Stat Test roll for the Event. I’ll need one after, too, likely, but will try to hang on till the trip is done, or at least till we see the next Event!

I’ll stash my cards for now.

The stats I didn’t update were the ones derived from your primary attributes, e.g. Whirling Blades damage and such. energy etc is all current. I have no idea how likely more power up cards are from the Journey events unfortunately.

I don’t really expect you to spend more than one turn in the City-State, though? I mean, if you really want, but that Ravager clock is ticking and I’m not sure there’s a lot of advantage in an extended stay.

Okay, in fairness, my brain is considering it a long time away to get back to exploration because forum game pace is slow since people UGH have real lives and other commitments, SIGH, hah.

Anyway, another version of my question might be, did you ever get a power up from a caravan event in your previous plays?

We can train energy/attack/explore in Nesmenyet (or whatever it’s called) can’t we?

Those count as Gear Upgrades, so it won’t have the possibility of giving me another Stash chance.

There’s been a couple of things that triggered fights or whatnot, but in terms of directly handing out Power Ups, not so far.

Kk, Thx. I’ll cash em in, then. Cuz, ugh, 58% chance now, and only up to 69% on another charge.

Works for me

I’m ok with this as well, and it’s probably best to do it’s this way. We’re a proudly communist group and value group cohesion over some bourgeoise notion of efficiency!

Okay. You managed to get every result except a HEX, so be proud of that? Updated everyone’s choices + secondary stats.

If we’re rolling Single Rewards, that means Akbar gets +3 energy (10), and Cheya gets the Ironscale Potion (9). Orion got a 3, Chimminy a 2.

As for the event, Chimminy tests Energy and Explore, and gets: HEX and HEX. As if to make up for striking out so often on rewards… that’s -8 to an Energy Drain of 6. Moreover, you spot the great eagle Arcalima, and everyone heals to full Vitals, giving Akbar his first full rank of Metabolic. You can now contact Malambrose the True and treat any Great Tree hex as a Caravansary for purposes of Journeying with him.

Next event:

Well, that’s annoying.

That’s less annoying however!

Looks like Akbar’s most well-equipped for this challenge, @Ormus, with Orion as a second @Thraeg. Obviously, if they falter, Cheya and I can step in.

If we do succeed on the Secret Society Event, I’ll vote against the teleport option. As nice as it would be to take care of a Mission, Melhin’s rewards are substantial, and we can always get back out after a turn in-town. Melhin below as a reminder:

The alternative would probably be following up the second Phorora mission, which would involve Wandering off a Ruined Village hex to net a gold and 2 power-ups apiece, plus however many gear upgrades the sand die (d4) roll gets us, for the low low cost of 2 food apiece, letting a random location get Crystal Tower’ed, and dealing with whatever we Wander into, plus the opportunity cost of not completing the Caravan mission (losing out on about 4 power-ups’ worth of boons, a Skyfire Crystal – that could be big if one of the 0- or 1-food rating heroes gets irradiated, and the reputation bonuses/travel to a town that we have technically paid for).

Now, maybe we roll a 4 on the sand die and walk away with 6 total power-ups + gear upgrades and that feels pretty good, but if we roll a 1 or even a 2, it’s a bad trade at best, IMO. I say we stick with Melhin :)

I think you have to roll for the single rewards under normal rules, right? You can’t just choose as I recall. Still, I can really use the energy, I am extremely energy dependent.

Happy and keen to take the Secret Society on.

We can’t abandon Melhin, we have been through so much together. Remember when we beat that Pangolin way back 17 posts ago?