Play by Forum: Hexplore It - The Sands of Shurax

Ah yeah, that would be pretty good, wouldn’t it?

Nice! I was under the impression the ones had to be natural for a crit. Also if you don’t mind I would rather do it using my Shifter ability. The reason being I want my energy to be lowered so that when I restore some later I can improve my metabolic trait. For you it is not a once per turn ability so will not trigger Resonant.

The Soaring City would be awesome as the rerolls could safeguard against any instant annihilations!

[Sounds good to me, @Ormus – copycat away, you shifty shifter, you!]

I’m enjoying this so far! Please keep the posts coming!

I’ve debated buying one of these Hexplore It games and haven’t yet pulled the trigger. Which one would you guys start with? This one, or Forests, or the original game?

Nope. There are times when the game will explicitly say “a HEX result”. Only rolling a HEX will count for that. but critical success is achieved on a result of 1 (or higher, if your skill gets high enough), and modified results count. The Fairy racial ability is really good.

Does that mean we could use both our abilities to convert a 5 to a 1? Me not greedy no sir!

Domains of Mirza Noctis, currently on Gamefound. It’s pitched as being between Valley and Forests’ level of complication and looks super cool. But if you want one right now, probably Forests unless you want the easiest possible inroad, in which case Valley of the Dead King. (Forests is more interesting overall, IMO, but Valley is the most straightforward.) Sands is so many subsystems that I don’t recommend it as an onboarding.

I believe so, yes. I’m fairly sure you can only use the racial ability once per roll, but two people who can both use it…

The only thing with Valley of the Dead King is you get a lot of characters whereas Forests (which I got first) I found was lacking a little in that department. However despite that I would also recommend Forests first.

[While the original is a very clear and fairly straightforward introduction to the game systems, it’s also a bit plain/simplistic. For instance, the Roles’ abilities are substantially simpler and have less interactions with each other and between Roles, IMO. The main way of taking down foes is pretty much just “punch head repeatedly.” Forests of Adrimon and Sands of Shurax both add a LOT of interesting content, but FoA is quite a lot to keep track of in your first game, and SoS is substantially more complicated than that. I personally think that FoA is a good middle ground, so long as you’re pretty boardgames savvy.

A major advantage the first game, Valley of the Dead King, has is that you get a lot MORE Roles and Races than some of the later editions, IIRC, so you have more variety between playthroughs, if you have a large group. I think it’s worth grabbing eventually just to add some longevity to your HEXplore It experience, even if you start with a different volume.

All this said, if you wanna wait a bit, the ongoing not-a-Kickstarter over on Gamefound for Domain of Mizra Noctis, a very blatant Curse of Strahd/Castle Ravenloft knockoff and fourth game in the HI line, dials the complexity back down to be much closer to VotDK, while still having lots of interesting new things to interact with, including a fullscale dungeon crawl!

edit: lol, or what the others said faster and shorter]

[@malkav11 this might be super obnoxious, so please feel free to disregard it, but is there any way that you could edit some extra game info into the first post in the thread so stuff we keep referring back to is easier to see?

I’m thinking the link to the characters Google Sheet, links to the manual PDFs, and maybe pictures of the major rules placards, at minimum, would be amazing. If you felt like being CRAZY awesome, I might even go so far as to ask that you maybe include links to the most recent “current boardstate/circumstances/etc.” post you make when that gets a full update (e.g., between turns, or after exploring, or whatever’s most convenient)?

-Tom

Thanks for the rundown on the three editions, @ArmandoPenblade ! Very helpful.

Nice GIF, Tom. :)

[I don’t know what this means but I choose to assume it’s some sort of deep, paternal approval which I can use as a very healthy substitute for self worth, former gifted kid style.]

One other major advantage Valley has at the moment (or soon will) is receiving the first campaign, Klik’s Madness. Which looks epic AF.

That is not unreasonable - expect it in the not too distant future.

Awww, how do you not know the ending of Casablanca? Armando, you have a treat in store for you one day. But, yes, it’s an approving comment based on a moment in a wonderful movie when two characters realize it’s the beginning of a beautiful friendship!

-Tom

[OOC from this fascinated thread subscriber]:

CoolStuffInc currently has all three living card decks for VotDK, Adrimon, and Shurax on sale, as well as Shurax and its expansion for what seems like stupidly cheap.

I picked up the whole lot for $125 shipped, which seemed a ridiculous price considering MSRP and prices on ebay and Geek Market.

Just got a message from my gaming group for this weekend. “Can we try that HexploreIT game again!”

HELL YEA WE CAN! Excited!

Have to say I am feeling an urge to pick up Sands and also fund the new one. Sending the bill to Malkav, hope that’s ok?