[Play by Post] Better Angels - No Soul Left Behind

Good as far as I know.

I"m traveling today and probably won’t even be on my phone.

Well, it seems like the demon conversation is done, so I’ll try and get up the next big post on my part tonight, tomorrow night at the latest (no idea what my family’s plans are). I might be able to move things on a little more over the next day or two after that, but I believe we are heading down to Iowa on Christmas day, so from then until I get back the following Saturday (25th-31st) I’m definitely not going to be meaningfully available and am not planning to make IC posts.

All

The burning finally fades, leaving that weird sensation of something else lurking there in the back of your mind, having so memorably introduced themselves as you were reeling from the shock of events. As you pick yourselves up, you notice that although you were only out of things for a few moments, at least subjectively, the various students and staff are already well away from the five of you. They’re pouring out through the doors, shrieking with unmanaged panic, a completely disorganized mob, almost trampling one another in their eagerness to escape. A brief look around shows that the breach in the wall is so rubble-choked and precarious that it didn’t offer much hope of egress, otherwise no doubt people would be running that way as well. There’s streaks of blood and tattered scraps of costume everywhere. And of course, the limp torso of the Alliterative Avenger.

Except…now the panicked rush is turning back into the room. And it’s not hard to see why. The Headless Headsman is blocking the entrance, panting with rage. One scissor shear is bent askew, he’s bleeding from multiple savage open wounds, flames are licking at the remnants of his costume, and at least one limb doesn’t look like it’s bending the right way. He’s clearly been through the wringer to an extent that should have killed him at least a couple of times over. But here he is. Shouting, “WHO WAS IT?! WHICH ONE OF YOU KILLED MY FRIENDS?!!” Sparks crackle around him. It seems pretty clear people are going to get hurt if he isn’t taken care of.

So. What do you do?

Demons should offer assistance - can't drag you to hell if you die right here and now. You could even turn on an Aspect for free (yes, this isn't fair to those of you who already did it, but who am I to stop you jumping right into trouble?). Just to show the possibilities... Also, since this is our first straight up conflict (though not necessarily physical!), might want to refresh on those rules. In particular, he doesn't know y'all have demons, so you're eligible for a Surprise bonus the first time you act.

The Alliterative Avenger is nominally a Superhero, right?

Because I have an idea…

Nope, member of Triskaidekaphobia. You just didn’t end up being in the area he was rounding up.

Can I use Oracle to try to see what’s going on?

Sure. Ask a question about what’s going to happen or what the best move for your character would be in a certain situation, and then roll Devious Knowledge.

Jose Lou is active

Reach over and hold onto the shoulder of the Alliterative Avenger and use Retrocognition, “What happened in the bus barn?”

María Romero, Manuel @Madmarcus invoked

María walks lightly towards the Headless Headsman. Almost floating, her feet just grazing the floor in her ghost form. Driven by an eerie curiosity she looks very closely at the Headsman, knowing ,feeling, she can’t be hurt (or so she hopes).

A lingering question at the back of her mind. A glimpse of a future yet to come.

(To Manuel, at to herself) What really happened here? Why does he think we are to blame? This is all a horrible misunderstanding… What should I tell him so he lets everybody go?

Activating Oracle. Rolling

Oracle for the Headless Headsman. Trying to see how to defuse him.: [u]Three sets: 2x9, 2x7, 2x5[/b]

T-Dub @CraigM

“You wanted to keep them Safe, yes? You could show them how Strong you are. Then they will have no need to Fear. Then Thomas will be the Hero who kept them safe. Shall we Show them or do you still wish to wait for the police?”

Will activate Glory on Thomas' approval. I'm not clear on if I get to choose the exact nature this form takes, but it should be commanding or awe-inspiring to the extent possible, more than simply beautiful.

Alex (invoked) @Juan_Raigada

Alex waits for someone else to act, wanting no part of whatever the hell this is.

“Is this your doing? Did you kill his friends?”

Few quick questions (sorry I still need to finish reading the book):

1. As screwtape, should we be trying to prevent our “hosts” from killing off this member of our demon family? I know you said they didn’t get along, but… Or maybe we should encourage it? I mean, I don’t really have that history but I should probably be RP-ing it.
  2. As screwtape, what do we need to “approve” again? Just aspect activation, right?
  3. As screwtape, should we try to “get involved” every time we’re invoked? Or do we just sit back and watch the show?
  4. As a character, what’s our feelings on our new powers? Do we think that we can just bowl this guy over? I know part of that is personality, but you said we have some idea that we are now powerful, and we know what abilities/aspects we have.
  5. As screwtape, do we know the answer to the Headless guys question? Do we remember what happened?

The Leecher

LITTLE DOES IT MATTER. ANGER MUST BE FOUGHT WITH ANGER. WE ARE STRONG, HE’S WEAKENED. LET US DRINK HIS LIFE AWAY.

I’m dying here. This is amazing. Bravo, sir.

Brimstone @arrendek

“Hey, this guy probably had something to do with blowing up that wall. That might not be good, you know. If you are wanting to keep them safe, well, perhaps you could go show him what you think about that… up close and personal like.”

so @arrendek asks some good questions. I intend to activate Flame Wreathed, depending on the answers, so technically Brimstone doesn't say this yet. I'm just putting it here so I don't have to retype it later, as those questions came up mid post.

Maybe I shouldn’t have gone with Flame Wreathed, now every time I think of it I think of the flame guy from venture bros, where I’m just going to be running around in pain. lol

Thomas Albertson @misguided active

This feeling, this power, this… command. I feel 10 feet tall, a god among men, with a voice that resonates into peoples very souls. As if the words I utter come not from my mouth, but are written upon the laws of the universe by the rocks themselves. Gone is the slightly nasally tenor, Thomas’ voice comes in a syrup thick baritone that emanates more than verbalized.

THIS IS NOT OUR DOING

Thomas walks, at a pace that would be a run for beings of mere human stature. His translucent silvery sheen, had he noticed that before, refracted in a myriad of colors, like that of an thin layer of oil over water in a mechanics garage. The inhuman look and 10 foot gait, were at once disconcerting and intoxicating to Thomas. Within seconds he was standing next to the Headless Headsman. He reached one silvery finger, like the Sistene Chapel mural, and touches him.

YOU KNOW WHERE TO FIND THEM. SEEK THEM OUT AND YOU MAY FIND AID, FOR THIS DESTRUCTION WAS NOT MY PLAN EITHER. PURSUE VENGEANCE AGAINST THOSE WHOM HAD NO CONTROL, AND FACE A DIFFERENT FATE.

I will use False Memories to implant the idea that his attackers either fled or are dead. Roll 2,2,1,3
http://orokos.com/roll/469472

Much stuff happening simultaneously here without feedback from the GM.

I think this might be impossible to solve in a PbP format, though.

I figure do things, and if there is a need to retcon, so be it. At any time if @malkav11 chimes in and says ‘so and so gets a chance to respond before you’ then that’s fine with me.

There are two ways, as I see it, to resolve it. Either play so slow and cautiously as to drag everything on, or to allow for retcons by the GM as needed. I treat the actions as intentions, and the GM can always step in and say ‘you tried to do that, but for these reasons did not complete it’

Plus this is basically a comic book type story, retcons are their life blood!