[Play by Post] Better Angels - No Soul Left Behind

http://orokos.com/roll/471793
[10d10=2, 6, 7, 3, 2, 6, 7, 7, 3, 2]
3x7, 3x2, 2x6, 2x3. Assuming you’d like to use the 3x7, knocked up to 7x7. But up to you.

Yes, sounds good, thanks!

Quick questions:

1. Are you willing to kill the Headsman? He’s pretty beat up and an attack on that scale might well finish him off.
  2. If you attack him you’ll only knock one die off one set. You could attempt to defend the bystanders by directly interfering with his attacks and it would be more effective at stopping them but wouldn’t hurt him probably. Depends on what your goal is.

It is completely fine (and indeed in the spirit of things) to just go ahead with your planned attack, just want to make sure we’re on the same page about what it will do.

I want to know the answer to my oracle rolls first, before making any decision.

Maria
You feel a sudden firm conviction that the thing to tell the Headsman is “Your enemy is not among us. Look to the shepherd.”

I realize that I might not be able to change what happens with both the Headman’s attacks and the great groin kick but technically my retrocognition should go off first. So, what happened in the bus barn?

I debated whether or not Oracle should count as an entire turn’s action and decided against it, especially considering it’s very sharply focused. Retrocognition I see as being a turn, and I’d like to resolve the round at one go. Besides, you’re behind either Brad’s attack (7 width) or the Headsman’s attack (3 width) if Brad doesn’t knock it down to 2 (which he probably will.) Potentially Maria’s actual action depending.

Edit: Eh, fuck it. I can’t see it affecting anything else happening in the turn.

Jose
There’s kind of a rush of mental bile flooding through your mind, and then as it recedes into the depths again you can remember being in the bus barn, pacing back and forth, waiting with the bulk of your team as a few (the street smart ones) move into the stored bus fleet and begin attempting to hot-wire them. You were cold in your spandex, and frustrated at the penny ante nature of this crime. And then suddenly from behind you someone screamed, “Oh shit!” and there was a rush of heat and force and you could feel your torso tear apart and your guts spill out and oh god oh god you were dying and why…

1. Totally willing to kill that tool.
  2. I think stopping him from doing harm should be the number 1 priority. If just kicking his scrote into his abdomen won’t do it, then let’s stop him from hurting others in whatever way that is. Defend is the #1 priority until everyone is safe and I can take him on without that risk. This cop hasn’t gone to the dark side… yet.

If you do end up killing him that would certainly prevent him from making future attacks but it won’t cancel out this turn (just knock a die off one set, as I said before). YMMV. Otherwise, you could try and grapple him (open endurance, and you’d probably burn him some from Flame-Wreathed) to knock a die off every set, or block his bolts (open cowardice, you’d need to come up with some way to block lightning bolts that makes sense, which would generate gobble dice based on your chosen set). Either way you’d still get weapon bonus from THS, plus the surprise bonus. You would only get the Devious add from Flame-Wreathed for attacking directly in melee.

Sounds like grappling might be the best thing for me. Open Endurance is 7, +4 for the THS and surprise bonus, so I’ll do 8 dice +3 width for a grapple?

I went ahead and made an account on orokos and typed in our campaign name and it added it to the campaign log, so that’s cool.
http://orokos.com/roll/471999 [8d10=8, 8, 9, 8, 1, 8, 1, 2]

That’s a 4x8 knocked up to 7x8.

María @Madmarcus invoked

Out of nowhere a flash of a better future. María knows what to do now. Her ethereal , weightless body approaches the Headless Headsman and whispers:

Your enemy is not among us. Look to the shepherd

Looks at the art teacher shaking under the blots crackling from the Headsless Headsman’s hands.

And leave those poor people alone.

Of course, María’s doubts and uncertainties are building up inside her (she doesn’t even begin to understand the meaning of the words she just uttered), but somehow, while in this incorporeal form, she’s being able to keep them under control.

What’s going on? What am I doing? I’m not like this… I ought to be frozen in fear back there, where I landed after the explosion.

I think I might like it. Whatever it is.

To Manuel

Because, what IS it? You know, don’t you?

Manuel

Yes. I do know. But right now I’d stay away from the headless one. He is unstable, mad, and confused. Even ghostly like this he might be able to hurt us. We should leave.

I’ll respond later to keep things in their proper timing.

I apologize for jumping the gun but I thought that actions occurred in Cunning order also.

No, the idea is that people that are more Cunning (or the thinking on your feet equivalent in other ORE systems) have an advantage at tailoring their action to what everyone else is doing, but that’s not necessarily reflected in actual physical speed of executing that action.

This would be a social roll to convince him, with a +2 surprise bonus and either a +2 secret bonus or whatever Oracle gives if it does give some bonus in the text. I would need my book(s) to tell you which pool and which stat you would be targeting to achieve that effect but if anyone else has it handy and wants to take a stab at it feel free.

I don’t think oracle gives bonuses in the rules, but it should give some advantage. That is, I think it should provide some advantage in that the piece of information provided by oracle should be able to be used as a weapon or some such. I don’t know how to evaluate that bonus as I don’t have the book with me.

So, your call.

As for the pool, what I want is to manipulate him, so it’s definitely Devious, I think. Whether it’s deceit or honesty should depend on how much María believes the insight provided by oracle or not. Again, you call.

Just let me know what to roll. For advantages I would say +2 for surprise and +2 or +1 for the weapon advantage oracle provides, whatever you think is best.

I am calling that a secret bonus, since even though Maria doesn’t understand it it is a secret and he will. And I would say Honesty, probably. It’s true, after all.

So +2 for secret?

Correct.

María Romero @Madmarcus invoked

Rolling to cool off the Headless Headsman

Getting the Headsman to cool off (persuasion): 10d10 2x10 2x5 2x2

He's convinced, I'd think.