[Play by Post] Better Angels - No Soul Left Behind

Yeah, what kind of roll would it be? I might be able to use Glory if the dice pool is right (and @Madmarcus agrees to a free activation :)))

Any social or mental attack can target any tactic (you move strategies by rolling well - I think, anyway - or knocking out the tactic first). In this case you would probably be rolling Devious Nurture or Devious Honesty because you would be trying to manipulate him into doing what you want but by reaffirming the truth or appealing to his better nature, but there may be other approaches.

Physical attacks are a lot more limited in targeting, but on the other hand, they can knock out or kill, which other approaches can’t.

PS, I forgot to roll for collateral damage, but feel free to propose actions in the meantime. If you need to adjust based on that roll I will let you.

Oooh oooh! I know who could do this!

Only problem with Body Control is he can just choose to ignore my suggestion which would cause him to slide off of Nurture. We need his nurture right now, and I’m thinking he’s pissed enough to ignore me, and if he does, he lightning bolts some kids or something.

Edit: I’m so vain I guess I thought your song was about me.

Because guess who has high Devious, high Nurture, Glory activated, and has skills in negotiating. It’s this guy

Thomas Albertson (Glory active @Misguided)

Thomas reaches into the depths and finds his voice can inhabit an almost physical quality. Summoning the depths of his formidable force of personality, Thomas enforces his words with an echo from the very building. Those observing would swear that it sounds as if the very beams of the ceiling spoke as a ringing chorus

THIS IS NOT THE WAY. CONTINUE TO FLAIL AS THE LOST MAN YOU ARE, AND YOU SHALL ONLY SEAL YOUR DOOM. WE WILL PROTECT THE STUDENTS HERE AT THE EXPENSE OF YOUR LIFE IF NEED BE, BUT I DO NOT WISH TO ENGAGE SUCH MEASURES.GO NOW AND DO NO MORE HARM TO THESE PEOPLE AS YOU KNOW THEY ARE NOT YOUR ENEMY. CONTINUE TO BEHAVE IN YOUR RAGE, AND YOUR FATE IS WRITTEN ON THE GROUND OVER THERE.

Thomas gestures to the, still warm, body.

@malkav11 So obviously I would get my 6 dice for Devious Nurture, what would Glory, my negotiating skill, and the general chaos add to that?

@arrendek I did not mean you ;)

Skills don’t add to rolls, they are narrative permission to attempt actions that you wouldn’t normally be able to do. Glory I think adds to the height of any social attack you make (so would apply here) but I would have to look at the exact details. It does not add to your pool, though. I am not seeing a weapon, secret or surprise bonus based on circumstances but am open to arguments for one.

Very well, Thomas rolls…

http://orokos.com/roll/472713

so 2x9, plus what glory adds.

FYI: Rules for Glory:
Glory (Devious)
Written by Greg Stolze, © 2013. This is not to be confused with Impossible Beauty (though they work really, really well together). When you transform into a form of Glory, you may look beautiful or terrible or, more likely, both. You be come impossibly imposing, like a thunderstorm or an eclipse—something above human scale, beyond typical lusts. You become a fgure that obliterates reason and self-respect, too vast and real, too much to be dealt with.

At least, that’s the highest form of it. Demons shy of Devious may just be a bit more dapper.

When Glory is active, every social action you take has its Height increased by an amount equal to your Devious score. If the Height exceeds 10, the action becomes immune to Gobble Dice. (This is basically ‘Horned’ for persuasion.)

So should I “throw him out” (like, through a wall) to punctuate Thomas’s offer or keep grappling him, or what?

Yeah, I was just looking through the files for that, beat me to it. Which with a base height of 9, a Devious score of 3… that is a lot. Only 2 wide, but 12 high. Seems good.

So it’s an automatic success, except any character can always ignore these social attacks and just do a different thing for a penalty… so…

It’s not an automatic success because it doesn’t add dice. It enhances any success you get a bunch, though.

I’m sorry, I meant in this particular case since he got the 2x9 result, not just generally all the time.

Manuel

speaking in the head of Maria (@Juan_Raigada

“You wish to convince him to calm down? Yes, we could do that.” You see a mental image of yourself taking on a metallic golden sheen. Even from your ghostly form you know that your voice would come out with a deep metallic resonance as if a large old gong could be made to make words. “If you wish it, it will happen.”

I feel bad ending there as I think I should attempt to 
bargain for some  form of payment in the form of minor 
evil. But I'm lacking in real world  time right now and it 
seems that, since we already know about Thomas's 
success, it might be a moot point. 

This is OOC but I don’t want to keep using the formatted text due to the wrapping issue on mobile. Perhaps we need to declare actions first and then, one they are all declared, worry about rolling. Right now it feels odd to make actions either as character or demon when I already know that there is going to be not just an attempt to intimidate the Headsman into submission but a really successful one.

The problem is that if we wait for declared actions and then a second round of rolls we are basically guaranteeing at least three to four days minimum per turn. If that’s an acceptable trade off we can do that.

Also, pre-formatted text wraps fine on mobile as long as you first write the text, then select it and click the pre-formatted button. It’s doing it with the style you just used that wraps badly.

Or if you’re typing instead of clicking use the ` character at the beginning and end of the text you want preformatted.

What is that thing called, an angled apostrophe or something?

Actually I did that text by typing it, selecting it, and clicking the pre-formated button. Which doesn’t seem to want to replicate now but was certainly what I did earlier. It might have something to do with amount of text.

I suspect I’m in the minority so I’ll defer on the action plus rolling.

Actually it occurs to me that what we could do is have you declare actions and your prospective stat combo, and then I just roll (and link the roll) for everyone.

I had this thought a while back before we were really rolling but kept it to myself because everyone has opinions, man. But since you brought it up I want to say I 100% support this idea. Otherwise we’ll be second-guessing what to do (as Madmarcus just pointed out). I know I am already, knowing that CraigM is about to talk him down (even though I know that’s not a guaranteed thing).

Yeah, I had an idea, but there doesn’t seem to be a point, and as I said before, I feel like I have no clue how the system works, so wasn’t sur how to express it anyway. Pretty sure trying to read them is decreasing my sanity score (those are the whispers of the elder gods in my ear, right?).