Play FFIV Advance or emulate the original on my PSP?

That is the question. I played the game a long time ago on the SNES and want to replay it. I could certainly buy the Final Fantasy IV Advance game and play it on my DS and I probably will go ahead and buy it anyway. Or I could play the Japanese Final Fantasy IV (hardtype) with a translation patch on my PSP.

I’m prepared to deal with slowdowns on the PSP. And I understand there are occasional slight slowdowns on the GBA version as well. The emulated version would allow for save states which are always nice. Does the GBA remake offer enough improvements to make it the preferred version?

Skip it completely.

Also, you don’t need to worry about translation patches or anything, because that game was released in the US under the name Final Fantasy II. And you doubly don’t need to worry about translation patches because you should skip it completely.

So, the serious answer.

FF4 GBA is identical to FF4j (original) with the minor exception that the stripper in one bar is fully clothed. If the thought of not seeing an 8-bit sprite shake 4-pixel wide breasts bothers you, seek therapy now. There’s also some translation differences (it’s better in most places, in others they throw in jarring modern references such as “fat loot”).

If you’re unfamiliar with Squaresoft importing arcana, the original Final Fantasy II was a very dumbed down version of the original Japanese version, because Squaresoft assumed Americans couldn’t handle a complex RPG. Not making that up at all (to be fair, most SNES games at the time in the US were targeted at kids). The GBA port is based on the Japanese version which is far superior from a gameplay standpoint.

Some have complained about slowdowns in combat on the GBA version; I haven’t noticed yet. It seems like a pretty good port. It’s worth the money for me to have it on a GBA that I don’t use for anything else except maybe Fire Emblem.

If you already HAVE a SNES emulator version on the PSP (I haven’t figured out how to re-enable homebrew on mine) you may as well use that since they’re basically identical. Plus you can then move straight on to the fan-translated FF5j version which is far, far superior to the official translation (and I seriously doubt it’ll get re-translated).

Also, the GBA version supports a save-state from anywhere, although it’s the typical save-then-shutdown which is wiped when you restart.

What have you got against FFIV?

It’s extarbags.

More details, please. Is it just more frequent combats, combat with things with nastier/bigger attacks and more HP, or are there substantial differences. I still recall running through whatever late game dungeon had a friggin’ behemoth every 3 steps and how utterly annoying that was. Not really sure I care to replay the game if that’s going to get worse.

FF IV was released as two games:

FFIV and FFIV Easytype. The latter was chosen to be ported to the US as FFII.

Some of the changes include:

1)Less variation of attacks. Every single playable character originally had a special command unique to his/her character. Tellah, for example, would ‘recall’ a random forgotten spell and cast it during battle.

2)More monster variations & touger fights

3)Less healing items

The translation of the original was pretty crappy too, which was mostly cleaned up for the new port.

…so it’s a tougher game over all. In addition, the new GBA version has a new end-game dungeon that probably adds another 5-10 hours of gameplay.

I always revisit classic rpgs the original cartridges of which I totally own using an emulator on pc so I can crank the speed up. That’s more fights, faster. That’s what I’d recommend. For gaming on the go, tap strangers in the crotch and run like the dickens.

What have you got against FFIV?[/quote]

Worst hero ever. The opening cutscene features the main character robbing some old men, and maybe killing one, I forget, and then once you start playing, you defy the king on moral grounds, then go burn down a village by accident, and then proceed to kidnap a small girl after murdering her mother. Again, by accident.

Seriously, it’s awful. Save yourself the headache and play the vastly superior FFV instead.

Thinking about all the ways you are wrong makes me want to stop and buy this regardless of who may or may not have purchased it for me for christmas.

That didn’t happen in that game?

So, you know, there is character development in the game beyond the first five minutes of it.

[quote=“Lum”]

So, you know, there is character development in the game beyond the first five minutes of it.[/quote]

Including a brain?

Regardless, I’ll never know. Right after that scene the game made me wander around a desert for forty minutes. Just awful, especially since I started it right after finishing the really very good FFV.

extarbags just sold me on this.

I’m going to bite the bullet and grab a micro too, gba on DS has started grating on me for some reason, cant stand the one screen being blank.

Thats why I picked up one of the new SP’s with the better screens. Its pure sex as well. I highly reccomend it if you think the Micro will be too small.

The new screens they are using are a shit ton better then even the DS screen.

Not in the way you seem to think it happened. First, they were robbing old men, yes, but they were doing it under the kings orders and they immediately start questioning it. That’s what’s called laying groundwork.

And you don’t immediately defy the king on moral grounds, that comes after the package the king asked you to take to the specified town explodes and kills everyone and destroys the town. It wasn’t like they tripped and accidentally destroyed the town. And I don’t recall any ‘kidnapping’ so I have no idea what you are talking about on that one.

Thats why I picked up one of the new SP’s with the better screens. Its pure sex as well. I highly reccomend it if you think the Micro will be too small.

The new screens they are using are a shit ton better then even the DS screen.[/quote]

And with that in mind, I wish I’d bought a micro instead of a DS, but I really can’t swallow buying a third gba.

Er, I just wandered around said desert and it took five minutes max, probably less. No idea what you were doing for those forty minutes.

Er, I just wandered around said desert and it took five minutes max, probably less. No idea what you were doing for those forty minutes.[/quote]

Looking for the Promised Land perhaps?

Er, I just wandered around said desert and it took five minutes max, probably less. No idea what you were doing for those forty minutes.[/quote]

It may have just felt like forty minutes. I wasn’t in a good mood based on all the stupid crap the game had already thrown at me. Also, again, I had just beaten the best FF game, which colored my judgement a bit.