Playdate, a handheld console with a crank controller

Poland being the home of European hipsters, of course.

Yeah I was trying to compute that, was thinking I was missing something XD

Then who keeps buying vinyl?

First preview I have seen.

I saw a few this week as well.

Did you get yours?

The first batch, shipping late this year, is all gone, but you can still pre-order for next year.

I got in on what I believe was that first batch, still said “Late 2021” when I ordered.

Couldn’t convince myself it was worth the asking price.

Then you’ll be CRYIN’ while we’re CRANKIN’!

(Hm… Maybe not the ideal choice of words.)

Good for them, sold through their first batch quickly, but not like, server-melted-bot-scalped-no-one-is-happy quickly. There was an issue with overseas orders for about 15 minutes and I might be less charitable if that affected me, but for a small company doing something completely new like this in a time when scalpers, bots, and supply issues have made so many other launch/preorder experiences frustrating, it sounds like this went well.

Also, Panic put out an episode of their podcast on Playdate’s development. This is really only going to appeal to a niche of a niche audience, but hey, that’s me.

That just does not look comfortable to hold for more than 5 min at a time.

I’m sure there will be a robust aftermarket accessory ecosystem that will have giant neoprene grip for it. Or a pocket worm light!

The latest DF Direct has someone from Ars Technica who wrote the preview linked up thread talking about the Playdate.

I have to admit, he makes it sound pretty awesome. I suddenly want one now.

(It’s only the 1st 20 minutes of the video).

Reviewers are getting the Playdate. It still sounds very intriguing, even though I’ve never enjoyed a handheld. If I could walk into a store right now and get one, I probably would.

Here’s a roundup of reviews.

Obviously schedules kept slipping for everyone, but I was not actually in the first batch, since I believe they all got another shipping update by now.

I’ve forgotten if anyone mentioned it here, but did anyone else order one?

I ordered one. Group 3, probably months away still.

Yep! I am in Group 2 with you.

I’m in group 1! No shipping notification yet tho

I found this one super useful (and nicely written) amongst the list.

If I’d want one, it would be for the games, but the whole concept and delivery was weirding me in the wrong way, and this article provided all I wanted to know on that front.
I didn’t care about the crank, but it not being cranky is a shocker for me.