Playstation 2 on my Dell 20001FP

I’m a long time PC gamer that finally took the plunge and recently bought a PS2. I like it alot, so much so that Im running into contention problems with my wife over the TV.

I’ve got a spiffy Dell 2001 FP LCD monitor with my PC (Dell XPS3 with PCI/E ATI X800). So my question is: is it possible to somehow use this with my PS2? Its got an S-Video input on the back; it can’t be as simple as connecting the PS2 to the monitor with a S-Video cable, right? I’d try it, but I wanted to hold off on buying a cable until I had an idea it was feasible…

Or do I need to somehow connect the S-Video into my PC? Google seems to tell me I need some sort of VGA adapter…

Can any shed any light on this for a dumb PC gamer like me?

It is. :) The results might not be as pleasing as a regular TV or CRT monitor though, as LCDs tend to make analog signal problems like colour shimmering more apparent.

Well I’ll be damned…

I guess I pick up an S-Video cable and give it a spin…

Thanks

gotta warn you, spacerat, that the 2001fp exhibits some temporary LCD “burn-in” if you leave something that has a lot of “white” in one place for hours at a time. If you play a PS2 game for hours on end that has some kind of permanent UI fixture (such as the timer counter in Gran Turismo), you can get some temporary after-images stuck on your screen.

So, don’t freak out if you notice something like that. It’ll go away after you stop playing the game for a few hours.

The same thing can happen if you leave a Windows Explorer window open overnight – anything with a large amount of white in it canl leave an afterimage.

I tried this a couple times with my 2005fpw and the results are pretty disappointing to be honest. I see the video inputs on these monitors as something added for convenience that you would only use in a pinch. But since the cable is probably only ten bucks you might as well give it a try and see if the poor picture bugs you.

It’s not really that the inputs are poor, but that the LCD is too good. A real TV would blur the video signal. On an LCD monitor, you see every imperfection.

I’ve done it, and it’s not the best as other people have said, but you can get used to it. If you pick up a VGA converter, that may result in a better picture. It would let you use progressive scan in games that support it, in any case, so those games wold definitely look better.

You should just buy the Madcatz cables that have both the S-Video and standard connections and work for multiple consoles besides. Run about $10-15 on Gamestop and EB.

Possibly not surprisingly I got a better analog TV picture by using a Composite/S-Video to VGA box that I got on super sale for like $9 bucks. Hooked up to a CRT the picture was pretty close to what you would get on a mediocre 19" tv.

The blessing and curse of the LCD display is the fixed pixels. When you’re doing desktop things with your sub pixel fonts and your 1600x1200 everything is peachy but when you try to watch TV on it…blech.

Why would he need more warning for using the PS2 on it?

The real kicker is the piss poor deinterlacer on the 2001fp. It’s bad enough to make me wonder if it really even has one, though last time I checked I think it did. If you really want to play the ps2 on your 2001fp your best bet is a video digitizer card in conjunction with DScaler. You can apply lots of different filters to make it more palatable, though of course this pretty much defeats the purpose of having svideo on your monitor in the first place.

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

I think Im going to give the MaKatz cables a try; an EB nearby apparently has them in stock. In the worst case I’ll only be out 15 bucks…

Anything more sophisticated than than I suspect I may just be better off getting a cheap second TV…

If you want better video quality, consider picking up a set of component video cables for your PS2 and a component-to-VGA converter like the VD-Z3 from VDigi. Even in games which don’t support progressive-scan (480p), you ought to get better video quality, though YMMV; and 480p games will definitely benefit. And the beauty of something like the VD-Z3 is that you can use it with any component-video source, like other consoles.