PlayStation 4.5 and Xbox One.5

Oh definitely. But 1080p at high detail and 60fps would be better.

Wouldn’t that require a move to a discrete GPU? That sounds expensive. And loud, as you need serious cooling for a serious GPU. MS and Sony both went to APUs this gen to keep costs down.

Lots of power savings in the next generation GPUs and assumedly APUs too.

Would definitely need to be discrete if they went with nVidia, though, you’re right about that.

Still say not happening. Eurogamer gave 3 options of what they believe it is It’s the third option. The 4K is just about upgrades for video. Supporting hdmi 2, HDR, and ultra HD Blu Ray discs. Using the new processes will be for size and cost reductions to enable a “slim” PS4. I agree with them that doing 4K rendering for games is just to much and would be too expensive. That’s a full console generation upgrade not some .5 update.

People getting excited over what will be a minor update.

Yeah, I believe 4K game support will be the incidental result of the other changes made for 4K Blu-ray. Devs may be free to use higher than 1080p resolutions but few will, the same way there were a few 1080p 60fps games on PS3.

Same situation here. I’ve almost pulled the trigger twice on the PS4. If there was one key game, and it say replaced the functions of one of my streamers… maybe.

I hope most developers will realise this and ignore 4k. But if both Sony and MS jump on 4K marketing train then it’s going to be tough to sell the lower resolution to the uninformed users who are not familiar with the benefits of higher refresh rate. And I can already see the first party developers being pressured into 4K just to sell the systems when/if they launch.

Going from VHS to DVD a group of people made money by selling people stuff that people already owned.

People already owned “A bridge over the river kwai” in VHS format, and they paid again for the bridge in DVD format.

So if you can get people to pay for stuff they already own, you can make a lot of money, because theres a lot you already have to sell them.

Remastered version of 1984, perhaps. Or 4k version of Citizen Kane. Maybe a remake of Les Miserables with young good looking actors.

I think is sort of too late and may create a lot of noise and confusion, and may not solve any problem… not our problems, anyway. The (current) PS4 games are more limited by the hardware of the PS3 than by the hardware of the PS4. A PS4.5 will be limited by the hardware PS4.0
Is not like in the PC, that you get better load times and better graphics if you own a more powerful computer.

Sorry for the old quote, but it’s been confirmed that both “leaked images” of the NX controller are hoaxes.

One of the perpetrators even showed off the 3D printing process he used to accomplish it.

I would have dismissed them immediately, but Nintendo has been so deliberately wacky the last few years…

No, you should’ve dismissed them immediately solely on the premise of “a supposed Nintendo controller that only uses touch buttons.”

Well, all I have to say is that the day consoles become a “pay $400 every 2-3 years thing” is the day that I am done with consoles.

Only reason I buy a console, in addition to a computer, is because I feel like I’ve got 5-6 years out of them, and they amortize to around $100 or less a year.

If I need to upgrade one every few years, I’ll just stick with a computer, which does it better.

They won’t obsolete the consoles every generation, that would be foolish. If they’re smart, they’ll mandate that all new games play at 1080p/30fps and set quality levels for the past 3 generations, so consumers always know games will play and look right on their older consoles.

Think about an ipad-- I have an iPad4, which is now 3 generations (4 years) old, and I don’t know of any games that won’t play perfectly well on that device. Newer iPads may load faster, and have better graphics, and higher framerates-- but there are so many old iPads in the market that new games still run perfectly fine.

I can actually see this becoming a huge issue. It’s going to be weird when the games that are 4k look like crap since most of the rendering features need to be turned off to achieve an acceptable framerate. And crazily, the same game running in 1080p will look several times better, and run like a dream.

Here’s hoping that at least then people will realize how stupid the obsession about resolution is.

I don’t want “generations.” One of the nice things about consoles is knowing that I don’t play the games slightly worse than someone who bought theirs a year later than me.

I like the cycle of being able to buy it, and forget it until the next true generation comes out. I don’t want to have the “slightly older, but still runs things, kind of” console.

Well, I disagree. And it looks like that will be happening.

My concern is that a lot of great games tend to come out later in the consoles life as developers get more familiar with the hardware. If that hardware starts changing incrementally will developers be perpetually a bit off balance? Could that actually make it more difficult for developers to turn a profit?

Personally I like the idea of a boost to hardware spec mid gen when the “slims” come out since I generally have burned out my early gen console by then and am replacing it anyway. I would prefer not to have it be an annual upgrade like Apple does though. I’m not fond of the Apple business model and I avoid Apple as much as possible, I hate what it has done to the mobile space and I will be bummed if consoles follow suite.

You must be the only gamer I know of that doesn’t care about better graphics and higher framerates. Good on you sir, but I find I very much do care and don’t want the consoles to become an annual treadmill of incremental upgrades.

That’s not an accurate comparison; games run great on my ipad4. There’s such a huge installed base of old ipads that new games don’t target the newest hardware. Legacy hardware is the primary target, then they add-on bells and whistles for newer devices. I believe yearly refreshed consoles would work the same way, and in fact this is how Valve should have controlled the Steam Machine standard too, to make it a better ecosystem for everybody, rather than leaving it wide-open and ensuring failure.

There are a lot of high-performing games in the Apple App Store that exclude the first, and often the second iPad. Examples after minimal searching on the front page of Appshopper: Infinite Skater, Nimian Legends: Bright Ridge, and This War of Mine. Looks to be around 10 or 15 percent, but it’s going to be disproportionately the higher-profile, cooler releases that have to leave old hardware behind. I have no doubt in my mind that the latest psychologically-exploitative FTP game will run, though.