PlayStation 5

Last post on this topic: since I’m the one who started the derail, I’ll finish it. Just want to say you folks are doing good work. Shadow works. I stream VR from Shadow, which is a very latency-sensitive application, and while it’s noticeably worse than from a local PC, it’s still definitely playable. Non-VR stuff just works–you can’t really tell that you’re not on a local PC. And I’m in San Diego, which I believe is like 500 miles from the nearest Shadow datacenter.

My only hangup with Shadow–and the main reason I recently (sorry @Menzo) cancelled my sub–is that it doesn’t allocate enough space on individual shards. It got really old having to delete and reinstall games every time I wanted to play something new.

I have thought about trying this. I assume there isn’t a demo period? @Menzo

We currently have a 10-day for $10 offer, but unfortunately no free trial. We’re a small company and data centers are expensive!

That makes sense, thanks. I will check it out.

I wonder if there’ll be a meaningful power discrepancy between Xbox/PS5 again, like there was in PS4’s favor initially, and the considerably larger difference in Xbox One X’s favor over the PS4 pro.

New round of headlines recently about full backwards compatibility with all previous generations because of this tweet.

I don’t know how to post a tweet so I’ll post a screenshot of it

Apparently this twitter user has been a reliable source of information in the past.

Just speculating here: Could it be possible that they just use your disc to verify that you own a game, and then have you stream it from PS Now? Or do you think they’re going for full backward compatibility somehow?

I would think with how very different the architecture of the PS2/3 was they would have to be streaming it. Using the disc as a verification makes sense.

Yeah I agree that would be super smart, and a big leap in capability. Quite impressive if they can pull it off.

Not at all. Your cellphone is probably capable of emulating the PS2, and PS3 emulation is readily available on modern desktop gaming hardware, if not quite mature yet. It’s totally possible on rumored PS5-level hardware.

The real question is why Sony would bother investing all that time and effort into emulation when they can hook you on their streaming service and ensure an ongoing source of revenue.

Why aren’t they doing this now, on the PS4, then? At least for the PS2?

It’s a bunch of work, and they already have a way for their users to play PS2 games by paying them for a streaming service.

I think we are saying the same things about the same news byte, with different words, for no reason.

You said backwards compatibility wasn’t feasible due to different architectures, but that isn’t accurate because the PS5 will be more than fast enough to emulate the PS3. The reason why they aren’t working towards real backwards compatibility is very simple, they like money.

Microsoft put in the initial effort and continues to devote substantial work to emulate the X360 on Xbone for a reason; they lost to PS4, so free backwards compatibility is a competitive advantage. Remember back in the X360 days when they won that generation, MS wasn’t quite as warm and cuddly as today. When you’re on top you don’t want things like cross-platform compatibility; treating consumers well doesn’t matter because what’re they gonna do, buy a PS3 and play inferior versions of all those games?

Backwards compatibility didn’t help the Xbox One a lot since it was a later arrival. If it had been available from the start of the generation, it could have really changed how people viewed those consoles.

I think Sony don’t want to take the risk, and will have a solid local PS2/3 story to tell this time around. No point in gambling the whole generation away to get a handful of PS Now subscribers. (Just a handful, since very few people actually want to play those old games. They just think they do, just like they think they might want to read some classics or whatever.)

Regarding the tweet that was shared; It strongly hints that people will use their existing discs to play games. I stated my belief that due to the old architecture they would stream,as it would be easier and presumably more reliable - I didn’t mean to speak to the feasibility of emulation. I am aware of emulation, I don’t believe that’s an easy solution to implement based on what I know of emulation however, though I am not an expert. I don’t believe it’s a catch-all-games solution. What they imply here is every game will work. That’s only a rumor, obviously, but it’s what I was replying to and all I’m talking about. To me that’s them streaming and using the disc as a verification, which is what I stated and where I stand.

Whelp I still have my PS1 discs… guess that might matter.

Yes I think that’s likely, but they’ll still charge a monthly fee for the PSnow service.

Which I also agree with.

I don’t know about most people, I only know about me. And I love playing my old Xbox games on my Xbone, and I would love to have a single PS console that could play any gen PS game. I’m open to streaming, provided it’s done well. I’m very curious to see what shakes out here.