PlayStation 5

Whelp I still have my PS1 discs… guess that might matter.

Yes I think that’s likely, but they’ll still charge a monthly fee for the PSnow service.

Which I also agree with.

I don’t know about most people, I only know about me. And I love playing my old Xbox games on my Xbone, and I would love to have a single PS console that could play any gen PS game. I’m open to streaming, provided it’s done well. I’m very curious to see what shakes out here.

The PS4 actually has a number of PS2 games available, no streaming required. They get enhanced graphics and trophy support. You have to rebuy the games, though, and the effort petered out pretty quickly, presumably due to low sales and publishers preferring to do more thorough remasters for a higher price tag on their most valuable legacy games.

Absolutely. Would even pay extra for a PS5 that had that feature.

That’s an interesting thought. A version of the console that actually has extra hardware inside and costs more. Of course that’s precisely what the launch PS3 was by the time I bought one, when I could have gotten a cheaper PS3 instead that didn’t have PS2 hardware inside.

Of course in the end that didn’t work out well for me, since the console only lasted 3 years before yellow lighting to death.

I don’t care. I cannot possibly imagine wanting to play a 15 year old game that hasn’t been updated when there are so many cool things to play from this generation. There is no possible way for me to play all the things I want to play just from the last few years. I can’t imagine why I would play something with terrible graphics, etc. from so long ago.

For me that game is Demon’s Souls. I really, really want to finish it. I tried playing my copy of the game on a PS3 emulator recently, and I can’t even get 1 frame a second on it, since my CPU is from 2009. The emulator is really CPU intensive. If a PS5 can let me play Demon’s Souls, it will be a huge bonus. I really want to finish at least my first play through of it.

There’s likely a remaster coming for the PS5.

Oh. Well, in that case, I guess I’d rather buy that than spend extra money on a backward compatible PS5.

I miss Top Shop, a lot.

Top Spin…any freaking good tennis game.

Not directly related, but topical.

Consequently, Sony also confirmed former president WWS, Shuhei Yoshida, will leave his position to head up a “newly formed initiative that will focus on nurturing external independent creators”.

The only way i get a PS5 is if it’s entirely backwards compatible. My backlog of physical and digital games demands it.

I don’t expect this to happen - I don’t think it lines up with Sony’s business model of selling updated versions of older games - but as I’ve said before I will get a PS5 day one if it’s compatible with previous generations.

I don’t even need 100% backward compatibility, if they’d just try to line up with what MS is doing and get the biggest games working I’d be onboard.

They’ve said it’s likely to be BC and are working on it. The issue with previous generations is that the consoles had radically different architecture. The reason the early PS3s were BC and later ones weren’t is the early PS3s basically had a PS2 in them. The PS4 wasn’t as the PS3 ran on Cell which was completely different. With PS4 and 5 it’s much closer to PC architecture so shouldn’t be as much of an issue. Plus they are powerful enough now to run older stuff in emulation.

The PS4 is a pretty darn good machine for apps and for games, so I would love to have even a weak justification to have a PS4 and PS5 in two parts of the house.

Sure, I get that backward compatibility with all generations may be a pipe dream. They haven’t really detailed what their BC strategy is, maybe it’s still being worked on. In the meantime, I’ll daydream. And wonder when my PS2 slim is going to finally give up the ghost.

It will be fully BC to the PS4 since its just a faster PS4 like a new PC is. PS3 and PS2 BC? Sign up for Playstation Now.