PlayStation 5

I went with a 500GB WD_Black SN850Ne with heatsink included as I didn’t want to go too crazy. Was pretty easy to install, and I still have my USB drive for PS4 stuff too. So hopefullly I’m alright for a while and I tend not to get CoD which as you not is a notorious space eater.

I’ll keep using my USB external for PS4 games. I see no reason to stop doing that infinitely as the performance is still insanely better than even the PS4 Pro was. But yeah, I’m a CoD player, and I do enjoy Cold War multiplayer so it’ll probably not get deleted anytime soon and that along with me often saving video of my exploits and some other games installed (Wreckfest, Hell Let Loose, Demon’s Souls, Ratchet…) all add up to me needing more space ASAP.

CoD: Vanguard wouldn’t fit without emptying either Cold War or the rest of the games off the drive is my expectation.

I just went with this heatsink.

For disc buyers, GameFly has Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart for $35 and Returnal for $30 with free shipping.

For all the “concern” online about how difficult it would be for people to find compatible drives, the manufacturers have reacted to this new market incredibly fast. It took only a couple months from the beta firmware to the launch of PS5 optimised versions of these drives.

That’s the same one I grabbed to replace the oversized heatsink on my XPG S70. Worked fine.

Yeah, that was all concern trolling. Total bullshit. Would it be nice to pay about half as much for a TB of space? Absolutely. And if the world ever gets back to “normal” it might happen.

I installed the new 980PRO Samsung SSD today. Zero issues putting the heatsink on the drive. Strapped it on with the included straps. Opening the PS5 took more elbow grease than expected but once it was open it was nbd to install. It’s very straightforward and the Sony video does a good job explaining.

After installation, this is the speed it registered…

Don’t mind my cat and my game collection in the reflection.

I moved Cold War from internal to the new SSD in about five minutes. That’s like 170GB IIRC. Speedy. Everything with these new consoles is like magic. SSD makes everything better. Probably noted, but you can choose either drive as the install by default drive after it’s in there.

So, it was not an interference issue with my controller and youtube app, it is the left L2 trigger. It looks like it shows occasional drift. If this happens, I have to push it a couple of times, and then it is gone.

btw, I don’t like the controller, it has a battery life less than a Nintendo DS. It is just a controller, but it sucks energy like nothing. 4-5 hrs max!

Third Party State of Play starting in just a few minutes.

May be some new announcements.

Is this some kind of Smash Brothers type game? I can’t tell what the heck this is. Just random weird people fighting. Maybe an Overwatch clone?

Edit: Deathverse, apparently.

Holy hell! A new Let It Die game!

The new Little Devil Inside trailer looks absolutely delightful!

A new Star Ocean next year is a bit of a surprise, but looks a little rough. Wish they would sort out the character designs, as well.

Agree, Little Devil Inside looks fantastic, if the story and gameplay can hold up to the promise.

Couple easter eggs in that Deathverse trailer. Uncle Death is watching the TV at the start. Look for his reflection when it zooms in around six seconds in. Also, the floating skull head says “Got it, Senpai.” which is what UD calls you in Let It Die. I’m pretty fired up for Deathverse. LID is a fantastic cult classic game that has excellent beat 'em up combat and that looks like they lifted it and added to it here.

Also, “MURDER MURDER, WOOO!” is about the best bit of some great lyrics in that first song. LOL!

Wow… PlayStation Blog has a big rundown…

Apple Music added to the PS5, so now you have two choices of streaming music while gaming.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/subscriptions/set-up-apple-music/

That’s great news. That’s the streaming service I’m subscribed to thanks to a family membership. Hopefully they’ll get added to Xbox soon too.

That LDI trailer is cute. Been watching it for what seems like years now, though, and I’ll have to wait a bit longer than PS users since it’s a timed exclusive. Oh, well.

When you took the SSD cover slot off your PS5, was there a piece of plastic that didn’t allow the cover to go all the way down? (See back corner?)

I honestly don’t recall. I had no issues opening and putting in the new SSD though.

The bug to want to upgrade to PS5 from a PS4 finally hit me. It’s but me pretty strong this weekend in fact. But before I go crazy over chasing restock ghosts or debating the moral hazard of giving scalper bots more reason to exist, is it total folly to try to buy a PS5 now? Is there any reasonable hope? I am trying to buy the one that has the Blu-ray drive if that helps at all. I do plan to get a second controller, so maybe a bundle that is not pure waste would help my odds? Or do I just save the frustration and consider it not out?