PlayStation 5

Yeah, I usually say around 80ms for display latency.

Anyway, talk about streaming in this thread is a bit of a derail at this level of detail. There’s another thread specifically about cloud gaming if people want to talk there.

Back on topic, I’m excited about the leap in capability we’re going to see with this next gen. Moving to SSDs really is a big jump, and the pure power we’re hearing about for CPUs and GPUs is great.

I just hope they can keep the price reasonable.

Hopefully the first of the new generation will be really 4k capable, with no tricks. I think it probably will with raytracing turned off. They should all focus on image quality and framerate rather than resolution, because they actually matter. Resolution past 1080p is bullshit.

That doesn’t mean you can just keep introducing latency with no noticeable effect.

Maybe the streaming tech can do it in X ms and maybe that’s still under the threshold, or maybe not.

But I don’t understand the argument that some existing latency means more latency will also be fine.

Because there are ways to cut existing latency (by taking the image directly from the videocard, for example), while also introducing more.

Sorry if this was already posted, but I am really happy that the machine is now going to support 4k blu rays. Will hopefully lift the demand for those types of discs and we’ll see more quality output from studios.

If you start argumenting like that, no ownership of anything high-end makes any sense.
What percentage of your life do you spend sleeping? The rest of the time, that expensive water bed just takes away space.
What percentage of your life do you spend cooking? The rest of the time, that fancy kitchen gear…
Driving cars? Using the most expensive, recent phone? Watching TV? Shoes? …

We’re also talking hobbies here, there is no “this makes sense” amount of money spent on them. We all spend as much as we want/need to. I’d never spend much money on tabletop gaming, others have spent thousands on their collection.

For me it’s entirely different anyway, as I use my PC all the time as I work from home (including working on demanding software). But even if that wasn’t the case, I’d never feel comfortable having to rely on both my internet connection and someone else’s server just to play a game.
Imagine entire regions being unable to play games just because there was a power outage (or anything else, shit happens - it’s a reality of IT) at the center responsible.

The question isn’t if it can work for anyone. The question is if it can work for everyone (or a large chunk of everyone), all at the same time.
The big data centers around the world are mostly used for doing relatively undemanding stuff (if you look at it from a per-user perspective) when compared to what PCs need to do when running games (especially more demanding ones, not talking minesweeper here).
You just have to look at the prices of some low-level Amazon EC instance vs an instance that has proper gaming-capable hardware.

I also don’t see why pcmasterrace (which I consider myself part of) would see this as a threat. The game would still be run on a PC (just not yours), and you’d also still play it on a PC. Your own PC just wouldn’t have to be as powerful. It’s not like streaming really becoming big would somehow make anything less doable or fun if you build your own PC and play on it.

Also, yeah, this is way off-topic. Could someone move all of this to the other topic?

Last post on this topic: since I’m the one who started the derail, I’ll finish it. Just want to say you folks are doing good work. Shadow works. I stream VR from Shadow, which is a very latency-sensitive application, and while it’s noticeably worse than from a local PC, it’s still definitely playable. Non-VR stuff just works–you can’t really tell that you’re not on a local PC. And I’m in San Diego, which I believe is like 500 miles from the nearest Shadow datacenter.

My only hangup with Shadow–and the main reason I recently (sorry @Menzo) cancelled my sub–is that it doesn’t allocate enough space on individual shards. It got really old having to delete and reinstall games every time I wanted to play something new.

I have thought about trying this. I assume there isn’t a demo period? @Menzo

We currently have a 10-day for $10 offer, but unfortunately no free trial. We’re a small company and data centers are expensive!

That makes sense, thanks. I will check it out.

I wonder if there’ll be a meaningful power discrepancy between Xbox/PS5 again, like there was in PS4’s favor initially, and the considerably larger difference in Xbox One X’s favor over the PS4 pro.

New round of headlines recently about full backwards compatibility with all previous generations because of this tweet.

I don’t know how to post a tweet so I’ll post a screenshot of it

Apparently this twitter user has been a reliable source of information in the past.

Just speculating here: Could it be possible that they just use your disc to verify that you own a game, and then have you stream it from PS Now? Or do you think they’re going for full backward compatibility somehow?

I would think with how very different the architecture of the PS2/3 was they would have to be streaming it. Using the disc as a verification makes sense.

Yeah I agree that would be super smart, and a big leap in capability. Quite impressive if they can pull it off.

Not at all. Your cellphone is probably capable of emulating the PS2, and PS3 emulation is readily available on modern desktop gaming hardware, if not quite mature yet. It’s totally possible on rumored PS5-level hardware.

The real question is why Sony would bother investing all that time and effort into emulation when they can hook you on their streaming service and ensure an ongoing source of revenue.

Why aren’t they doing this now, on the PS4, then? At least for the PS2?

It’s a bunch of work, and they already have a way for their users to play PS2 games by paying them for a streaming service.

I think we are saying the same things about the same news byte, with different words, for no reason.