PlayStation 5

I imagine it’s exactly two steps past turbo speed SSD but somewhere behind light speed SSD.

The scuttlebutt has been that Xbox Series X will have NVMe SSDs, while Sony will have some kind of proprietary solution. (Nothing says “Sony” just like a proprietary storage format.)

Since I have purchased zero Blu-rays despite having an extensive DVD collection (that is gathering dust), I suspect that disc purchases are not in my future. I really only use discs to occasionally rent from Redbox.

Jeez. Why do this? NVMe is the way to go. Let us expand our own hardward if we want.

Microsoft wants to unify PC gaming and Xbox gaming into one platform, so they’re going to make the Xbox more and more like a PC. Sony has no interest in doing that.

Well that ship has long ago sailed, dude. We’ve had day zero patches, local hard drives and operating systems for a couple generations. You can watch movies and browse the internet, even Nintendo has embraced this move.

This proprietary storage rumor, which would probably cost way more than a regular ssd if you wanted to upgrade your console storage, is going to be another reason why I think I’m off the sony bandwagon this cycle.

No I’m talking about Gamepass. They want you to be able to play the same games on PC or Xbox, essentially making the Xbox platform a service and the PC or Console (or Xcloud phone) a device able to consume it.

Sony doesn’t care if you can play Final Fantasy Remake 7 on a PC, they get nothing out of that. Microsoft gets Windows licenses. Sony has no reason to make their hardware PC-like. If anything, making it different ensures their exclusives will be harder to port to PC, a Microsoft platform.

Oh, come on. Sony has not shown any kind of hostility to PCs this generation. A ton of games launched on PS4 + PC, what Sony seemed to care about was console exclusivity. There are even a bunch of Sony-published games that have made it to the PC, just not from their internal studios. (E.g. Death Stranding, the Quantic Dream games).

They absolutely do not want to PS5 a difficult platform to develop for by making it arbitrarily different from the norm.

But isn’t Sony doing the same thing with PS Now? I mean allowing you to stream their games to a PC.

I think it’s just a regular SSD, the “ultra high speed” is marketing talk for “you non-PC gamers are in for a treat!”

Sony will continue to make plenty of exclusive games for PlayStation that will only be playable through some sort of PS Now type service in the future. Those exclusive games will likely never be day and date on both places. They want you to buy their hardware and peripherals and services. If that’s “hostile toward the PC” then they are Pantera levels of Fucking Hostile.

This is fine with me. If Ultra High Speed SSD has true meaning for their console’s performance, I’m all for it. Consoles shouldn’t be PCs IMO. The whole point of them originally was to make arcade quality performance affordable to the home player through interchangeable cartridges. No reason we can’t have something like that today through great console design that eschews some of the inherent deficiencies of a more general computing driven PC environment.

From the Wired article it sounded faster than your typical PC with SSD, though some of that may come from one being guaranteed and being able to design around it. They were talking about basically no load times.

Are we all thinking a 2TB ssd? In terms of size for the new gen?

I have my doubts about that, but I’ll be delighted to be wrong. I’m happy it’s an actual SSD in any case, trying to shoe-horn an SSD into the PS4 didn’t really do anything.

I would be shocked if it’s 2TB, but that would be great, yeah. I suspect 1TB with allowances for external storage to store uninstalled games would be a more reasonable expectation. Better to think small and be happily surprised than the other way around.

You’d think 2TB should be standard by now based on game assets and their massive size, but I think 1TB is far more likely, which means about eight standard sized AAA games installed at any one given moment is the best we’ll be able to do.

Was there anything new about the stuff that was announced at CES? Other than the logo that is. Whoopeedoo. The whole ‘speedy SSD’ point was already at the center of the first demo they showed way back when they compared the load speeds in Spider-Man. I think ray-tracing had also already been mentioned.

My guess is 1TB and they go 2TB with some sort of refresh or pro version (read upgraded version), charge a huge premium on an external option.

Besides, software has gotten a lot better on consoles in helping you juggle your drive space. The other day I wanted to install GTA V on my Xbox One, which takes about 85 GB now, and it very helpfully recommended a bunch of games I haven’t played in a while as candidates for uninstalling. I sorted by install size and undid their picks and picked some of my own. And when I had picked enough so that I could install GTA V, it let me know. Very fast and convenient.

I’m not sure the optical disc drive was set before that slide appeared?