PlayStation 5

I only have a handful of exclusives on my PS5. I have a lot more storage on PC and Xbox.

Wow I love the controller. So comfortable, and the haptic feedback is incredible. I could just sit all day on the fan in the asobo demo

I’m giddy as a kid every time I boot this up :) I want to play with my face 1 foot from the screen so my lame eyes can soak up all the beautiful details.

So for fun and being blown away, Valhalla or Demon’s Soul?
Granted I do have like 3 other Assassin’s Creed games to finish and play, so I don’t know if it’s super similar to the old ones or not?

Valhalla and Fenyx. Both are impressive in different ways. Fenyx has the best HDR I have ever seen.

Demon’s Souls is the first truly next-gen experience I’ve had so far. Having played Fenyx and Valhalla at max settings on a PC I don’t know they would have quite the same impact, but it’s hard for me to say having experienced them with a 3080 RTX card. In many ways, Demon’s Souls on the PS5 was just so much more impressive than what my gaming PC can do.

Demon’s Souls since I think you have a good PC for Valhalla? Exclusives are what PS5 is best for right now although it is my near daily Warzone machine.

Miles with the raytracung modes is pretty impressive too with all the window reflections

When you have a choice between 60 fps vs. visual quality, which mode are you all choosing?

Generally, 60fps is better over fidelity. But so far the PS4 games I’ve played have let you pick “fidelity” and still have 60fps (such as Spiderman, which I’m playing now), FYI.

I played Demon’s Souls with 30fps and higher res and it looked awesome, but it was so much better at 60 so I went to “performance mode” and at 1080p@60 it still looked amazing.

How do you know what the fps is?

You can tell when it’s 60 vs 30. Or look up what the modes mean on a game by game basis. In almost every case, “performance” mode or equivalent is 60fps, that’s why you pick said mode.

It depends. For Spider-Man:Miles Morales you want one of the modes with Ray Tracing, they didn’t have a 60fps one at launch but do now, that seems the best compromise though it runs a smooth 30. Some games simply look smother at 30 than others, has to do with things like framepacing but usually more importantly motion blur.

Demon’s Souls choose the 60FPS mode.

If you really care about this stuff visit Digital Foundry on the regular.

Digital Foundry is awesome. That is all.

Spider-Man remastered looks SO much better at 60 fps. The RT-60 fps mode works great for me. I tried fidelity briefly and really missed the higher frame rate.

Sorry I’m a little confused. If Spiderman Miles Morales is offering fidelity vs. performance, ie. 60 fps vs. more graphic bells and whistles - if fidelity still runs at 60 fps, why bother having two options if you’re already getting the best of both worlds under fidelity?
Or are you talking about a different Spiderman game?

I bought Dragon’s Crown last night for $20. Bewbs. :D

There’s a third option of 60 FPS with ray tracing, but doesn’t have all the detail of Fidelity. It says “Performance RT” I believe.

I think the trade-off manifests with a 2160p display. 1080p should be able to have both high-refresh and features like ray tracing, just because it’s pushing 1/4 the pixels.

In the case of Spider-man I believe if you had a PS4 Pro Fidelity would be 30fps, but in a PS5 that same mode is 60fps while still being as nice looking as it was before, but lacks ray tracing. Again, I’m assuming as you have to look it up for each game, there isn’t a standard.

I’m playing in Fidelity and it feels like 60fps to me, and when I went from 30fps to 60fps in Demon’s Souls it was a startling difference. I suspect it’s setting the resolution and framerate targets and I’m just achieving 60fps most of the time and if it drops it’s happening in combat and I’m too busy trying to remember what button does what to notice. I played on Performance RT and it felt the same, and looked about the same, as lowering the resolution doesn’t mean much when you have a TV that’s good at upscaling.

Fidelity in the PS5 Spider-Man games (remastered original or Miles Morales) is capped at 30 fps. Performance and Performance-RT are capped at (and almost totally locked at) 60 fps.

If you didn’t see a difference in frame rate between Fidelity and the other modes, you may not have been on the setting you thought, or you may just personally not see the difference. A consistent 30 fps with effects like motion blur still looks very smooth to lots of people.