PlayStation 5

Turns out I like playing Fortnite with my kids in the weekend.

Wrong thread?

Mine’s odd, it says I’ve only played 16 hours in 2020 :/

My wife and I have put a billion hours into D3 and Borderlands 3 but the games were launched under her account. My characters are under my account so you would think it would count.

Guess I’ve played a lot of hockey!

I played a lot of Warzone…

Top day of the week is Thursday and top PS5 game is Cold War.

They give out one of the most awesome PS4 themes I’ve ever seen for doing the wrap-up thingy.

It’s a shame they didn’t make it sooner!

Destruction AllStars is pretty cool. I think they did the right thing making it a PS Plus giveaway because it wouldn’t pass muster as a $69.99 release. It’s very pretty, and the controls are rather tight. I’m figuring out how to best play it as staying in the car the entire time seems to not be the way to win.

Definitely a good time when you want something simple, bombastic and exciting with a reasonable amount of skill required. It’s an arcade game in every good way.

I wrapped Bloodborne over the weekend. What a game. Victorian Cthulhu Souls. Am I getting that right? I know I missed a lot. I mean, a lot. Like, apparently you can send NPCs back to safe houses? And there’s another ending! I got the bad one.

I’ve moved on to Demon’s Souls now, and oh my god. The graphics are absolutely stunning. The characters actually look like people and not weird anime mannequins with tiny heads like the other Souls games. The little details like the enemy knights getting their shields bashed away, the weight behind the weapon swings, it’s all so good.

I don’t know if the original one had all this, and how much was redone for this PS5 re-release. If I’m comparing to Dark Souls, feels like it was rebuilt from the ground up.

I’ve only progressed to the first boss, but this game is easy, having just come off Bloodborne. I know it’s the first in the series, and I just started, so I’m sure it will get harder. But my character is surprisingly durable.

It’s also nice to play these games while they are at peak participation. Seeing messages with 20,000 votes is nice. Lots of phantoms running around to spy on. It feels like a community.

What’s this?

@Wallapuctus So you liked Bloodborne a lot? Which game do you like better right now? Bloodborne or Demon’s Souls?

Oh man, I grabbed Destruction AllStars sight unseen since it was the free game this month. For some reason, I just assumed it would have split screen due to its nature as a fun arcade style game. No split screen.

Wtf modern devs? I really, really hate the lack of split screen to be found in recent games.

I miss it too, but I feel like we’re at least two generations past that being the norm.

We totally are, but I’m old, so I’m still upset.

Also, I’m a modern dev who hasn’t had split screen in games I’ve worked on, so I’m part of the problem.

My whole original post should be read in a super whiny voice.

Yeah, I’d pay real money for any game and even console system that made four player split screen a priority again. We finally have TVs big enough to make it work with a large play area for each player and now no games support it anymore.

Anyway, Destruction AllStars is fun. People should give it a try. It’s free with your PS Plus subscription!

…Edit to add that Destruction AllStars also has pretty cool support for the controller. Lotsa haptics going on while playing.

You are in luck, the Intellivion Amico is specifically built around the concept of family couch multiplayer gaming.

I’ll be honest, I do look in on what they’re up to with that thing every now and then.

I have a family of 4 which includes a 5 and 8 year old so I’m intrigued by the concept as it seems ideal for them. With that said, the price point they ended up at is too high in my opinion. Ultimately we’ll have to see what it all looks like when it launches, if it launches. With the controllers and the multiplayer centric concept, there is room to do some fun stuff for party type games like Jackbox or what they’ve teased with the Bomb Squad game.

The Switch is best for mainline multiplayer gaming as it at least supports it relatively easily. Mario Kart 8 is four-player split. Using JoyCons keeps the price relatively reasonable.

I do think there’s room for improvement in the next Nintendo console when it comes to that. I know they still care about it because they still make sure lots of games have local multiplayer options even if not split-screen ones.

But yeah, Amico has a massive hill to climb and probably can’t hope to find an audience.

I wonder (and this is just blue sky dumb wondering) if streaming videogames (something I’m not super sold on yet, but hey) could possibly make split screen come back if a provider supported it. Four accounts, client just tells the system that it wants super low res streams (because on a 4k stream, each one would just be 1080p max, but you could probably go a bit lower and upres). Then you don’t have to worry about the devs supporting it.

It’s all too disconnected in that scenario I think. People have a hard enough time wrapping their head around streaming videogames… now you’re kind of asking them to do that with four screens on the same screen?

Certainly it’s possible, but I doubt any company will be so bold as to try it, mainly because I think the only way it really works is if you don’t even tell anyone how you’re doing it… which is something the likes of Microsoft and Sony (and Google, and Amazon) can’t ever do when it comes to their tech. They’d want to tout all their cloud this and that and customers will be turned off by all the tech talk.

I think that’s just one of a myriad of reasons Google failed with Stadia. Too much worry about the tech and too little care for the games.

Also… having four controllers in that scenario is super unlikely.

This isn’t the thread for all this stuff, but I do think Switch is successful in part because of the ease of multiplayer. The “gimmick” they showed at the start that everyone wanted to have a chuckle about (girl takes her Switch to a house party on the roof), while very marketingish in its depiction, is an actual reality for people and for families they just play on the TV. Two controllers were snuck into the box with the Joycons being able to be detached and used separately. Never underestimate “easy” as a selling point.

I need some tips on Demon’s Souls as I’m getting beat the same every time. Guys with spears, and the super guy with a shield in the first level? Not sure how many more times I can do this and keep dying.