PlayStation 5

We should probably move this discussion to the Demon’s Souls thread.

And by the way, you do have a 100% physical resistance shield already, since as the Knight, you started with the Kite Shield which blocks 100/30/70. That’s 100% of physical damage, 30% magic damage, 70% fire damage.

Edit: Oh, and go to that website I linked to. It’s very useful for looking things up within the game. The game is very obscure on a lot of things. The first time I played it, I was reluctant to go outside the game to look things up, but with these games, I think it enhances the experience to look stuff up on that website, not hurt it.

Blocking is going to get less and less useful as the game goes on, if the other Souls games are any indicator. Souls combat is all about learning patterns, baiting attacks, then counter attacking. Being aggressive rarely pays off, until you know the enemy’s moves very well.

OK over to the Demon’s Souls thread for my next question :)

I usually went block, strike insane frenzy. So I should do what you suggested here? But how do you do this when you’re being attacked by 3 or 4 people?

Run away. The group usually string out chasing so you can focus on one at a time.

Did you all play Demon’s Souls in performance or pretty mode?

play it in performance mode.

As someone still looking for a PS5, I am finding the availability of the PS5 vs the Xbox Series X interesting. I wouldn’t say the Xbox is easy to get at this point, although I did manage to get one, but they seem to be becoming available at a larger range of stores a lot more often. Almost every day I see something on Twitter saying you can get an Xbox at store X. I see PS5s available maybe once a week.

Xbox’s also seem to be available as is, while PS5s seem to be offered in bundles more often.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I saw someone say the top selling console in the UK last month was the Xbox. Not because it’s the more popular console, but because it’s more readably available.

Is the PS5 suffering from a supply shortage? If so, why? I am sure Microsoft has great logistics, but surely Sony does as well. Why are PS5’s sold in bundles while the Xbox seems not to be?

Meanwhile in Norway: I ordered mine in June 2020, expected delivery in March 2021.
Another company is right now having a lottery, enter your name and you might win the chance to BUY a Playstation. Due to the limited number of consoles they’re getting delivered, they are going to have a lottery to decide who gets to buy them…

Man what a shitshow this is for Sony. And they don’t even seem to care

I wish I could do that, even if it was months down the road. I really don’t understand why that isn’t an option. Apple can do it, surely Sony can?

It’s a simplification and I’m sure there are other behind the scenes details, but the biggest piece is just that Sony has sold almost twice as many PS5s over the same time frame (and that ratio has been relatively consistent every time numbers or rumors of numbers have come out). They’ve also sold more launch window units than any console ever. There’s a lot more demand for the PS5, on the scale of a “new” problem rather than a “solved” one.

They made the (correct) bet that demand for something to do inside during COVID would outweigh the drag of economic issues pushing back against a $500 console, scaled up their supply chain as much as possible given COVID issues with production and shipping… and it still clearly hasn’t been enough. I am still pretty annoyed that I can’t get one! But I actually think Sony has done mostly okay here, especially when you consider that their direct retail experience is more “fair” and well-designed than basically all of the actual retailers selling them in the US.

They’re selling everything they can make and outselling Microsoft by like 2 to 1. It’s not a shit show. It’s high demand.

Have you tried to buy an RTX 3080 for a PC? They are like unicorns.

Really? The number I’ve seen say Sony has sold about 4.5 million, Xbox 3.5 million. Which is behind, sure, but not half as many.

No, I haven’t. But I’d love to have a unicorn!

Not maybe Sony in particular, but the entire affair of how (or how not) PS5 are sold. Bots buying up all sales, and the copies being sold for twice and thrice the amount on second hand sites. Sony not answering what happened to the production. Companies pre-selling a lot more copies than they would get, and not telling their customers until a couple of months later.
I can’t find an actual explanation other than Sony stating that “they sold more pre-orders than expected” but other rumors from their factory in Japan claims they haven’t shipped more than 200k consoles.

I can only speak for Scandinavia of course, but this sounds odd to me:

Where are all those consoles? Throughout gaming community in Scandinavia, none I know of got a hold of a copy. 1 guy I know got a hold of one second hand. A few bloggers recieved them free of charge as some kind of marketing campaign from Sony. The companies that pre-sold them have been quiet about the number of consoles they could actually sell.

Given that a lot of people have received PS5’s that are not working from start and Sony immediately saying they’ll need to be replaced, I’m just guessing they discovered some error with the consoles a little too close up to the release date and had to fix something, making this take a lot longer time.

It sounds dubious to me that Sony miscalculated the “interest of sales” by a million or so copies.
Of course, shortage of parts is an issue but it sounds to me like the problemstarted a bit earlier than that.

(But hey, I’m still giddy to get mine in march and will probably stop caring about this by then)

Edit: Just to clarify, i’m just speculating and thinking out loud. I haven’t done any serious calculations.

I’ve pretty much given up on getting one. Maybe in a few years when they have supply sorted out. Guess all my gaming money will keep going to Microsoft, not Sony.

Oh, and Steam. :)

Sounds like GameStop will be having some bundles up today.

It’s unfortunate they are sold in bundles with games and extra controllers and such one may not want, but these do seem like decent bundles, at least.

They look to be live. Don’t want a bundle, so passing.

I see launch month at 3.4m vs 1.8m from enough sources that I think those numbers are good. PS5 at 4.5m in the quarter, which shows the obvious slowdown after that initial stock. Microsoft hasn’t released numbers but analysts estimate between 2.5 and 3.5m depending on the source. I do suspect that post-launch, Microsoft has worked around supply constraints more effectively. Demand is also easing more there… looking locally it seems Series X is running at $650 and PS5 around $850 on the secondary market right now.

It’s really TMSC being at capacity that’s the problem. Same reason all AMD chips are hard to get right now.

Demand for the PS5 is unprecedented. I read that before release the “intent to purchase immediately” stats in North America were like 10 times higher than would be shipped in the first quarter, which was already expected to be the highest number of any console ever.

Ultimately the supply of 7nm chip fabrication is a huge limitation right now.

It’s not a slowdown of production. They had stockpiled inventory prior to launch to hit that large initial number.