PlayStation 5

Sony just bought the EVO event, likely guaranteeing they corner the fighting game market for a good while.

I sure wish that Amazon restock rumor had panned out. Trying to get one from Walmart is just such a frustratingly stupid exercise.

Whereas it’s the only Sony hardware I’ve ever owned that I did have problems with. And I didn’t even use it all that much!

These look pretty good, and should be really great with the adaptive trigger and haptive tech in the Dual Sense. Also confirms inside-out tracking from the headset.

Started the setup of the PS5 tonight and I made the mistake of saying to transfer data from the PS4. Although it connected to the PS4 wirelessly, I didn’t think it’d be as bad as it is and it’s been stuck on ‘preparing to transfer’ for an hour and half or so. I keep reading 1. don’t do the transfer in this way, if at all and 2. do not stop the transfer or you’ll brick your consoles.

Now, it’s still preparing to transfer, so I’m wondering if it should be okay to interrupt the transfer anyway. It seems to me that it should be fine, since nothing is actually transferring yet (I haven’t made any choices since it’s still on preparing). Anyone have any experience with it?

I really should have done some research, but I didn’t think a modern system would have a process that had no way of checking progress or cancelling it before it began. Guess that’s another lesson learned.

[Edit] Right after I wrote this, I went back to the PS5 and pressed ‘circle’ (back) and it just went back to the previous screen and I could then choose not to transfer. The PS4 restarted normally. It’s as if it never made it to transferring at all. Well, that was easy.

Leaving this here in case anyone else encounters the same issue.

Ahh there’s nothing like stroking a few balls first thing in the morning :D

If you’re patient after a while it finishes enumerating everything on the old PS4, let’s you choose what to copy and the rest happens in the background. Probably goes faster if you delete everything you don’t need on the PS4 first, or just move all your games to an external drive from the ps4 which can plug straight into the PS5.

I missed the wishlist enough to sign up for psdeals.net. My wallet never got a break. I hadn’t noticed before, but the PlayStation store seems to have more sales than Steam.

Both the Xbox and Playstation stores have sales literally all the time. Xbox lasts a week, Tuesday-Monday. Playstation seems to last two weeks? Or half a month? I don’t know, but it’s definitely longer. Both of them seem to mostly rotate the same titles through on a regular basis, though, except PSVR titles- I was watching for a while, well over a year, and the same title almost never came up a second time, so if you’re in the market for those, grab 'em when you see 'em.

External drive in the number one way to go with PS4 transfers and moving ALL games off your PS4’s internal drive first too. It’s over in seconds that way and there’s a lot less variables to mess things up.

It’s still not a bad process, but it ain’t on the level of Pikmin moving stuff around inside there. :)

Two weeks is half a month.

No, it isn’t. For example, if you get paid every two weeks, you get 26 paychecks a year. If you get paid twice per month (on the 1st and 15th, for example), you get 24.

As I noted, the Xbox sales every week run like clockwork- Tuesday morning the sale starts, Monday night it ends. There’s the couple yearly big sales on top of that, but that’s how the Xbox store goes. SONY is different. They generally start Wednesday? Or Thursday? And go for a while? Maybe two weeks? I think? It seems more variable anyway.

Yes, and sometimes they have weekend-only sales too. It’s definitely less predictable. One more reason why I relied a lot on the Wishlist feature.

Which is why every two weeks is best. Those three paycheck months are awesome!

Wow that looks amazing!

Well I have won a raffle with Curry’s in the UK to buy a PS5 so I am. Hope to get one within 7 days. Woo hooo, my son has a PS4 so no doubt I will have to share it with him but very excited

You won a raffle to buy a PS5? What times we live in!

Yep, easier than continually logging on to check stock levels, there are a few retailers in the UK doing it, means I actually will get one as I cannot be arsed to continually check the sites.

I should pop in and say I finally got my PS5 too via Playstation Direct last week(and delivered on my birthday no less!). I’ve really been enjoying Miles Morales and I think it looks a lot more next gen than people were saying based on initial videos.

For anyone still trying, I did end up finding out the PS Direct system isn’t IP based or anything, so you can open it up in multiple browsers and on multiple computers in your house. I ended up with Edge and Chrome open on both my desktop and laptop and a Chrome instance on my phone. It does have you randomly do captchas while waiting in line, so you don’t want to overload the windows, but five lottery tickets worked out really well for me.

I was surprised by how good the first-iteration of PS5 hardware was being reviewed. I hadn’t planned to get one for several years. Now, I’m happy I was able to get one. The weird thing is that my plans for this year entirely involve playing PS4 games with hopes of better frame rates, resolutions, or maybe even PS5 updates (especially since I only had a PS4 slim before). The first game I’m really spending time on is Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. I’m left wondering: are its many oddities and failings due to the back-compat or actually there in the game on its intended hardware? I’ve had geometry not load, falls through geometry edges, non-existent objects render, and one crash at the starting menu. It’s still fun, but faith in my original plan wavers.

Any other experiences on the PS4 game compatibility? I hope I just picked a game with brittle polish in its own right.