PlayStation 5

Will that add to an existing account?

It’s in the FAQ at the bottom

If you have a current Apple TV+ free trial or are already subscribed, you can redeem this offer. If you’ve subscribed to Apple TV+ through a bundle offer like Apple One, you are not eligible to redeem this offer.

So yes pretty much.

Awesome. Thank you!

However, it won’t let you sign up if you’re currently sharing someone else’s subscription. My wife was on one of those extended trials after buying a device, and when I tried to sign up for the PS5 promotion it wouldn’t go through and said that I already had access through her subscription.

If you sign in with the account when you launch Apple TV it should ask you if you want to redeem the 6 months or not. The app needed the recent update though so maybe you tried it the day before?

No. I updated the app, it showed me the 6-month offer, and I clicked on it and signed in with my Apple ID. Then once it processed, it just showed a message that said I had access to AppleTV+ through family sharing, with no option to activate it for my own account.

Which was fine. Her trial was going to run out in a week or so anyway, so we went ahead and cancelled it, and then I was able to successfully redeem the PS5 offer on mine.

That’s my situation. Thanks for explaining. My brother in law’s family shared trial is up on July 28th and I got the same message. I guess I’ll wait until it expires to try again to redeem the PS5 offer.

Good timing for me, happy to be able to watch Ted Lasso without having to wait for it to all be out and spend the money for a one month subscription. Plus Foundation looks cool. I definitely would have spent the money. So I’m about $8 CAD back in the black on my PS5 purchase!

Summary from reddit:

To summarize the requirements:

• PCIE4x4 M.2 NVMe SSD . M.2 SATA drives are not supported (and won’t meet the speed requirements anyway)
  • M.2 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280, or 22110 form factor. M-key . The vast majority of M.2 NVMe SSDs are 2280, so don’t worry about this too much. M.2 NVMe SSDs always use M-key, so nothing to worry about there either
  • 250GB to 4TB capacity . Usually this is just arbitrary, but I guess follow it for now while no one has tested a bigger/smaller drive
  • Dimensions: smaller than 110mm (L) x 25mm (W) x 11.25mm (H) . Check the specs of your SSD carefully, particularly those with built-in heatsinks.
  • Minimum sequential read speed of 5,500MB/s is recommended . This rules out (current) cheap drives
  • Host Memory Buffer is not supported . Rules out DRAM-less (i.e. cheaper) SSDs. And again, DRAM-less drives probably won’t meet the speed requirements anyway

In other words, you want a high-end SSD. Looking at the popular ones on Amazon, here are some that meet the requirements:

• WD SN850 (there is a version with a built-in heatsink that also meets the specs)
  • Samsung 980 Pro
  • Seagate Firecuda 530 (there is a version with a built-in heatsink that also meets the specs)
  • Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus (the Plus is important – the non-Plus version does not meet the requirements)

Sony also recommends using a heatsink if there isn’t one built-in. But check the specs very carefully so that the maximum dimensions are not exceeded if you’re going to use one.

Among the drives I listed above, only the SN850 and Firecuda 530 are available with a built-in heatsink (though there’s also a version without one). You may have to add for the rest. On a well-ventilated PC, this usually isn’t necessary, but I’m not sure how the airflow around the PS5 M.2 slot is.

Apparently Sony shot everyone’s dog on Twitter today with this news of their beta OS and a high requirement of you choosing whatever drive that fits the spec to put in your PS5.

Within a couple years, this will be a very reasonably priced upgrade. Today’s usual Internet Overreaction is nonsense.

It’s inconvenient and confusing in the moment, but it beats the heck out of the Vita’s proprietary memory cards.

It’s a lot of Xbox stans bragging about how much easier it is to upgrade the Xbox Series consoles with checks notes a drive that costs twice as much as a faster m.2 drive of the same capacity would be.

There are already half a dozen 1 TB drives compatible with the PS5 that are selling for less than the Xbox drive, despite being three times as fast, plus you have options for 2TBs and 4TBs.

It’s not even that. It’s exactly what they told us it would be at the Cerny road to PS5 talk, only the speed limit is lower than we were initially warned. It’s also a way easier process than upgrading the PS3 and PS4 hard drives since there’s no need to backup or restore ANYTHING.

Yeah. I knew who I was dealing with the moment I replied to a couple people. Also, many have incorrect recollection of what it took to upgrade the PS3 and PS4. The backup and restore part of that was way more complicated. I had to buy an enclosure for an internal 2.5” drive to pull it off!

You sure about that?

The 1TB Xbox expansion drive is regularly on sale for $180 or $190. The cheapest 1TB drive compatible with the PS5 is around $250.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1420740086547632130

There are cheaper drives but they’re 500GB: https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1421134455452823552

Or 1TB drives for $199 but you need to add your own heatsink: https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1420741430486519818

Microsoft has also alluded to the idea that other companies will create storage expansion drives in the future.

While proprietary, it doesn’t seem like this will be a “vita memory card” situation - as these generic SSDs go down in price for the PS5, the Xbox storage expansion drive will probably go down in price too.

Is it proprietary? I’m not sure whether the interface is custom or just a shell around an nvme drive.

EDIT: hm, looks like it is. Xbox Series X proprietary expansion cards — the way forward or future curse? | Windows Central

Good point, I’m also not sure. I just meant that it’s not an off-the-shelf SSD.

The internal SSD is a standard PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2230 SSD. It can be replaced, if the internet figures out the partition scheme.

The external SSD addon uses a proprietary connector and you’re pretty much shit out of luck there, unless some Chinese company reverse-engineers it or something.

I didn’t know the 980 Pro would require a heat sink. Only $10 off Amazon, though, so not too bad.

I used this guide to figure out what to get:

This is false. There are many compatible drives for between $160 and $250. This one is the best deal at the moment:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NY7XCL1?tag=eurgam-df-us-20

It’s not standard either. No one really makes 2 lane PCIe 4.0 drives and the drive MS uses has custom firmware.

Ahh, custom firmware also? Yeah, that sucks, Microsoft.

Even if PCIe M.2 SSDs are more expensive than the proprietary MS expansion right now due to Chiacoins or whatever, that will change, those prices will drop at the speed of commodity hardware, while the proprietary crap won’t.

Yep, and with Seagate paying for exclusivity, I see no reason for Microsoft to be in a hurry to change that to an open playing field even with opening the spec to a few others. Why spend money on certifying with other manufacturers? Those expansions will never be cheap on the Series X.